Prospect Info: 95th overall (2017): Vancouver selects D Jack Rathbone | Will he sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Lol!....I remember some posters were moaning about Rathbone going back to play high school hockey after he was drafted by the Canucks.....now look at him....still only 20 and a mainstay on the Harvard blueline.

It know it's still early in his career, but among all of the Canuck blueline prospects, Rathbone has the best skill-set to transition to the NHL one day imo....better than Juolevi, Woo or any of the guys in Utica.

Drafted at #95 overall.....it's like a winning lottery ticket in your Xmas stocking.

Based on what?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Based on what?
Based on his performance at Development Camp and so far at Harvard, Rathbone has passed most of the d-men on the Canucks prospect depth chart. He's putting up as many points as Woo in a far higher level of hockey. Juolevi, who's a year older, is struggling in Utica. And as far as the other guys in Utica, probably only Rafferty projects as an everyday NHL d-man, but his college career was pretty pedestrian compared to Rathbone's. The only other d-prospect of note, Toni Utunen, is playing professionally in Finland, but is a long-shot to get a contract.

So 'based on all of that' it doesn't take much of a genius to project Rathbone to be the best of the bunch.

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver
Based on the videos above, it looks like he's improved a lot from his high school footage.
He used to play like a 4th forward just rushing end to end with the puck and dangling around the ice but it looks like he's learned to play a more controlled pro style game.

Still not great in the defensive end it seems though. Some sketchy one handed poke-checks that don't do anything, missed coverage, and a bit too many dangerous turnovers to forecheckers.
In the offensive zone, looks closer to Quinn than anyone currently on the Canucks. Has good mechanics on his slapshot but needs more man strength to get more power on it. Sweet outlet passes on the first 2 assists.
Seems to be NHL potential there, maybe as a 2nd pairing offensive D that needs sheltering.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I have to hand it to him. He took a below average NHL career and a well below average intelligence and turned it into a long term career in the sports business. I wouldn't have seen it coming.

Jim is very poorly spoken, I don’t know how much that relates to actual intelligence because some of the dumbest people I know try to talk in circles to appear smart

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Last night was kind of the first test playing outside of Ivy League schedule.

But along with madden the american scouts are finding some potential in later rounds which is all you can ask for.

same can't be said for the CHL scouting in this organization.

Reactions: Red

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
In fairness- I have graduated university with guys who were almost as dumb as Jim on the back of a sports scholarship. Picturing Jim having any type of so called connection with an Ivy League school is hilarious to me though.
You could say the same thing about the rest of the Crimson Mafia (I love that) - although Don Sweeney has built something good in Boston

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Jim is very poorly spoken, I don’t know how much that relates to actual intelligence because some of the dumbest people I know try to talk in circles to appear smart
Jim has a Canadian accent and speaks a bit slow, so everyone thinks he is dumb, which is ironically very dumb.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I have to hand it to him. He took a below average NHL career and a well below average intelligence and turned it into a long term career in the sports business. I wouldn't have seen it coming.

I fairness....over 600 NHL games is a pretty damn good NHL career. Underwhelming based on draft position perhaps but it certainly wasn't a below average career.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Jim constantly says and does really stupid things, so everyone thinks he is dumb. It's the content, not the presentation.
But you do that all the time and everyone also thinks you're dumb.

Oh right, you do have a point.

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
I can think of a world leader or two who are like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad