Prospect Info: 95th overall (2017): Vancouver selects D Jack Rathbone | Will he sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
His number aren’t to far off some of the Harvard Dmen who stepped into the NHL and were stars Marino/Fox. If you watched the games you can see the type of impact he’s having is tremendous and his skating is elite. Lots of things to be excited about for this Kid. He’s got to sign first of course.

Rathbone's best season almost doubled Marino's best season, points-wise: 31 to 16. Fox's best was 48 points.
It's instructive to see a modest NCAA D scorer have such a good rookie year with the Pens as Marino did. We all
hear it said that it's not all about NCAA points, and Marino is proof of that fact. Fox lived up to his clippings,
and Marino did far better than I for one expected. It looks good for Rathbone too, as these are guys he played
with on more or less equal terms who have done very well as NHL rookies. The caveat being that surprises can
happen on the downside as well as the upside. For Rathbone, the issue will be can he defend well enough to be
trusted out there by the coach? No question the rest of his game is NHL ready.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Based on the updates this morning, even players in a so-called 'bubble' in the NBA, MLB and the NHL, are still testing 'positive' for COVID. In light of that, it's hard to see how the NCAA colleges and universities will be able to open their doors to students in September, much less get their sports programs up-and-running.

I really hope there is some clarity reached soon on the status of the AHL this fall. Otherwise, Rathbone will be just be attending Harvard classes (probably remotely) and having a few skating or pickup game sessions for the entirety of the 2020-21 season. Would really be a setback for his development.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Based on the updates this morning, even players in a so-called 'bubble' in the NBA, MLB and the NHL, are still testing 'positive' for COVID. In light of that, it's hard to see how the NCAA colleges and universities will be able to open their doors to students in September, much less get their sports programs up-and-running.

I really hope there is some clarity reached soon on the status of the AHL this fall. Otherwise, Rathbone will be just be attending Harvard classes (probably remotely) and having a few skating or pickup game sessions for the entirety of the 2020-21 season. Would really be a setback for his development.

I wouldn't be surprised if in-person classes resume in the winter depending on the number of positive cases. But it will be controlled and tightly monitored. At my institution, they've already planned for a 3rd early summer semester because they anticipate they will re-open slowly and carefully and will need the extra time to cover course material.

All this is a long way of saying that places that prize academics (certainly the case with Harvard) will not jeopardize classes with unnecessary risks like varsity contact team sports.

Rathbone is much more likely to play if he signs. For one, Utica case numbers are low (Onieda has ~1700 total cases and 36 new cases yesterday link) and two, they don't have to worry about players mingling with students and threatening their primary mission to educate.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
You'll know pretty much by next week.

The Ivy League schools are meeting next week to discuss college athletics and what their plan is.
Football is the most important, but other sports will follow.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
You'll know pretty much by next week.

The Ivy League schools are meeting next week to discuss college athletics and what their plan is.
Football is the most important, but other sports will follow.
Ivy League schools, like Harvard, have enormous endowment funds - each in the 10’s of billions. Question is: can these endowments be used to fund athletics? If they can’t, then they need football revenues to subsidize most other sports. No football revenues; no athletics.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Ivy League schools, like Harvard, have enormous endowment funds - each in the 10’s of billions. Question is: can these endowments be used to fund athletics? If they can’t, then they need football revenues to subsidize most other sports. No football revenues; no athletics.

Ivy League football is in the FCS (formerly known as Div 1-AA); any TV money is puny compared to the major FBS (Div 1-A) conferences and the game attendance is much smaller. The conference has also become more aggressive with financial aid for athletes; the official Ivy League rule is "no athletic scholarships" but in reality that's not the case anymore. I'd bet my bottom dollar that Harvard subsidizes its football program out of its general athletics budget. Its absence in and of itself wouldn't impact other Harvard athletic teams.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Ivy League football is in the FCS (formerly known as Div 1-AA); any TV money is puny compared to the major FBS (Div 1-A) conferences and the game attendance is much smaller. The conference has also become more aggressive with financial aid for athletes; the official Ivy League rule is "no athletic scholarships" but in reality that's not the case anymore. I'd bet my bottom dollar that Harvard subsidizes its football program out of its general athletics budget. Its absence in and of itself wouldn't impact other Harvard athletic teams.

From this article Harvard athletics, without football, loses 100’s of thousands of dollars.
Football has been college sports’ golden goose since the 1800s

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Jack will need to play this fall to develop his game. Will either or both the NCAA or AHL be playing this fall? Best for him to wait and see.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Only 20 something odd schools in FBS in the division 1 make money off athletics.
Most lose money

But football does make big profits and it flits the bills for most of the rest of the athletic teams on campus, especially the lesser sports of which those schools have plenty. Remember title 9 provides for equal number of sports for the women and aside from basketball, the girls don't play to big fan bases. Men's Basketball makes a lot, but plays to smaller arenas. However, it plays more games.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
But football does make big profits and it flits the bills for most of the rest of the athletic teams on campus, especially the lesser sports of which those schools have plenty. Remember title 9 provides for equal number of sports for the women and aside from basketball, the girls don't play to big fan bases. Men's Basketball makes a lot, but plays to smaller arenas. However, it plays more games.

I never said it didn't make big profits.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Hockey career aside, Rathbone probably doesn't mind studying at home and may even welcome it.

The students I've heard from are pretty angry about the situation, actually. They feel cheated out of a full college experience and that online courses should be offered at a discounted tuition.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Hockey career aside, Rathbone probably doesn't mind studying at home and may even welcome it.
I wonder if the new CBA will close the college “loophole” for players getting to UFA status in August of their graduation (class) year?
As for Rathbone a year without any hockey could certainly hinder his development. I’d say he signs, and plays on the Canucks next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad