Prospect Info: 95th overall (2017): Vancouver selects D Jack Rathbone | Will he sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Andrew Wadden tweeted that "Jack will be on the “PM Drive” today to discuss." I believe that's the Sekeres and Price show starting at 2pm.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Would love if you could provide a list of bridges you may or may not have been involved in building ;-)

All I did was construction, worked on the Annacis bridge and a lot of the overpasses, but the vast majority of my work was road construction. So no need to worry. The last 15 years I worked in the states. I really wasn't that bad, I was registered professionally in 2 provinces and WA. The fun part was having to write the PE exam 21 years after I was out of school, and the pass rate was 52 % for first time applicants, and 18 % for all of the others. Was pleased to pass it on my first try.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Well damn, on Sekeres and Price today there was lots of hemming and hawing from Rathbone, but he did make it clear that basically
all he wants to do is be a hockey player. That's his ambition, and he means the NHL, not pickup games around Beantown. He seems
confident, and I can see why, when Fox and Marino, whom he mentioned, went on to play NHL games right away after leaving Harvard,
and his game would rank somewhere in between those two recent teammates (and he's the best shooter and skater of the three
of them).

He mentioned the Ivy League (or whatever) sports decision that's due tomorrow, and also there's the NHL/AHL decision re next season's
occurrence to be made at some point. . . with everything revolving around the uncertainty of the virus.

My thought is that the one certain thing would be an NHL contract. Once you're getting paid, it's up to the team to find ice, training, housing,
and all those details that support and enhance their investment in you. No matter what the virus does, the best hockey decision is to sign a contract.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Apparently Ivy League schools like Harvard and Yale have already announced that only about 30 percent of the student body will be on campus in person this fall....the rest will take classes remotely.

In fact both schools are suing Trump and Federal Government, who want to rescind the student visas of international students who don't attend classes in person, and send them packing. A class act in D.C.

So I'd be shocked if any of the schools in the East start up their sports programs this fall. But can't blame Rathbone for waiting it out. Returning to Harvard and playing his junior season was always going to be his first choice.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
So I'd be shocked if any of the schools in the East start up their sports programs this fall. But can't blame Rathbone for waiting it out. Returning to Harvard and playing his junior season was always going to be his first choice.

Spoiler alert: they won't be resuming until spring '21 at the very earliest. I've been privy to similar discussions. It's a non-starter.

No vaccine yet identified in Phase 3. Said vaccine would then have to be manufactured at scale and then broadly administered. Spring '21 is the absolute earliest and it would require a good deal of luck for that to happen. Summer '21 is a more likely target, if that.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Spoiler alert: they won't be resuming until spring '21 at the very earliest. I've been privy to similar discussions. It's a non-starter.

No vaccine yet identified in Phase 3. Said vaccine would then have to be manufactured at scale and then broadly administered. Spring '21 is the absolute earliest and it would require a good deal of luck for that to happen. Summer '21 is a more likely target, if that.
The most promising Vaccines are being mass produced right now, so if (when) one checks all the boxes the doses are immediately available. Still Rathbone will miss a full year of hockey if he doesn’t sign. And we need him. He’s in our top four after 20 games into next season. And he’s on an ELC.
Just hoping Benning doesn’t screw this up, and we lose Rathbone.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
The most promising Vaccines are being mass produced right now, so if (when) one checks all the boxes the doses are immediately available. Still Rathbone will miss a full year of hockey if he doesn’t sign. And we need him. He’s in our top four after 20 games into next season. And he’s on an ELC.
Just hoping Benning doesn’t screw this up, and we lose Rathbone.

This is getting a bit off topic so I'll just say this. They aren't mass producing any vaccines because they haven't identified one that works in a phase 3 clinical trial. The most promising one is probably the group out of Oxford that is working with Astra Zeneca. They were able to induce in some cases 3x the antigen level present in individuals recovering from Covid-19. Then there's the Moderna group where they induced 1x antigen levels with packaged mRNA. I mention these two because they're both front runners but the means for their mass production are night-and-day different.

This is to say nothing of the efforts in China. Here, they have a structural advantage in that factories that make conventional vaccines are located in China and India so they would have built-in infrastructure in place.

I know the Gates Foundation has been funding efforts to lay the groundwork to scale up in NA. But they can't get too far ahead without knowing which entry is going to be the one.

Reactions: Szechwan

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This is getting a bit off topic so I'll just say this. They aren't mass producing any vaccines because they haven't identified one that works in a phase 3 clinical trial. The most promising one is probably the group out of Oxford that is working with Astra Zeneca. They were able to induce in some cases 3x the antigen level present in individuals recovering from Covid-19. Then there's the Moderna group where they induced 1x antigen levels with packaged mRNA. I mention these two because they're both front runners but the means for their mass production are night-and-day different.

This is to say nothing of the efforts in China. Here, they have a structural advantage in that factories that make conventional vaccines are located in China and India so they would have built-in infrastructure in place.

I know the Gates Foundation has been funding efforts to lay the groundwork to scale up in NA. But they can't get too far ahead without knowing which entry is going to be the one.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/05/11/coronavirus-vaccine-global-supply/
Vaccines are now being mass produced ahead of approval, so millions of doses will be available immediately upon approval.
This could result in schools, like Harvard, starting their hockey season in late winter.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/05/11/coronavirus-vaccine-global-supply/
Vaccines are now being mass produced ahead of approval, so millions of doses will be available immediately upon approval.
This could result in schools, like Harvard, starting their hockey season in late winter.

Thanks for this. Here's where they currently are in the process - with no published or pre-print results available: link

As you can see, they're starting Phase 1/2a later this month. They won't have approval for phase 3 without the results. Then they will need phase 3 results before they can start to bring their product to market.

Long story short, winter is wildly optimistic.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Rathbone on with Sekeras and Price, and the topic of playing in Europe came up.....if he signs a pro contract but can't make the Canucks, and there's no AHL, then maybe he can head back to the SHL with Hoglander?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Thanks for this. Here's where they currently are in the process - with no published or pre-print results available: link

As you can see, they're starting Phase 1/2a later this month. They won't have approval for phase 3 without the results. Then they will need phase 3 results before they can start to bring their product to market.

Long story short, winter is wildly optimistic.
Winter ends March 20, so I think that’s a date before the experts are predicting. So the Ivy League could be playing hockey late winter, and finishing mid spring.
Even so, imo Rathbone signs and plays next season with us, and finishes his degree online and in summer 2021 session.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Rathbone on with Sekeras and Price, and the topic of playing in Europe came up.....if he signs a pro contract but can't make the Canucks, and there's no AHL, then maybe he can head back to the SHL with Hoglander?
AHL won’t play without fans. They need the revenue. So this news means he needs to find a team to play with this fall.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
So they cancelled fall sports at harvard officially

Also Big news for 2021 top 10 pick Matthew Beniers who would be playing at harvard this season, his draft year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So they cancelled fall sports at harvard officially

Also Big news for 2021 top 10 pick Matthew Beniers who would be playing at harvard this season, his draft year.
Wonder if he is permitted to transfer to another school? No guarantees all around. Even the CHL who knows.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Winter ends March 20, so I think that’s a date before the experts are predicting. So the Ivy League could be playing hockey late winter, and finishing mid spring.
Even so, imo Rathbone signs and plays next season with us, and finishes his degree online and in summer 2021 session.
So... basically you're agreeing with me. Spring '21 is the very earliest.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
So... basically you're agreeing with me. Spring '21 is the very earliest.
Mid winter (IMO) would be earliest start, which means Rathbone could be here with us, and playing instead of missing so much time, which I believe he will do.
The vaccines, because they are being mass produced concurrent to approval, could speed up that process, to early winter, or January.
We need Rathbone in our top six next year. He’d slot in nicely behind Hughes and Edler.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Wonder if he is permitted to transfer to another school? No guarantees all around. Even the CHL who knows.

Gotta think he'll go CHL. Who has his rights?

Canada actually has coronavirus contained sufficiently that they can contact trace. Plus almost all of those teams are in rural communities where case numbers are lower due to population density.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Gotta think he'll go CHL. Who has his rights?

Canada actually has coronavirus contained sufficiently that they can contact trace. Plus almost all of those teams are in rural communities where case numbers are lower due to population density.
Good point....but the WHL can't play without fans either.....Europe might be the only option for players.....speculation is that the first overall draft pick Alex Lafreniere might head to Switzerland or another European league if he can't crack the NHL.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Good point....but the WHL can't play without fans either.....Europe might be the only option for players.....speculation is that the first overall draft pick Alex Lafreniere might head to Switzerland or another European league if he can't crack the NHL.
More like kids like Byfield and other top CHL picks who go top 10 that aren’t ready for the NHL who need to find a place to play.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

The idea would be to have a CHL season with reduced capacity seating and masks.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
I am telling you guy. The Brackett firing could well end up costing the Canucks Rathbone. He was his coach in minor hockey and they are very close family wise. I have a bad feeling about this - that he is going to free agency. I hope I am wrong

Reactions: Luckylarry

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Does this sound like a confident GM -

"We have to hope that we spent enough time and have sold him on our plan of where we’re going in the future. And when it’s time to sign, he looks at our organization as somewhere he wants to be." — Canucks GM Jim Benning on prospect Jack Rathbone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad