Prospect Info: 95th overall (2017): Vancouver selects D Jack Rathbone | Will he sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Rathbone is paired with Fox who was +24, so you would expect him to get a pretty good +/-. How much is the Fox effect and how much is Rathbone is hard to say.

That's a very good point, and I did consider it. There's no doubt in my mind that playing with Fox elevated Rathbone's plus-minus. But we don't know by how much. We do know that Rathbone did not play with Fox exclusively at even strength over the course of the season. (And of course PP points don't count toward plus-minus.) So I had to let the "Fox effect" drop.

It's interesting to compare their shooting percentages: 13.14% for Rathbone and 11.6% for Fox in 2018-19. Fox shot more often but only had 3 more goals
than Rathbone did. As a freshman, Fox had 6 goals in 35 games compared with Rathbone's 7 in 32. Also as a freshman, Fox had no game-winning goals,
while Rathbone had 2. This season, Fox and Rathbone were tied in game-winning goals, each with 2.

My conclusion is that Rathbone had one hell of a freshman year. His shooting is clearly excellent, freshman or not. Where Fox is notably superior is in
his much greater number of assists, even as a freshman, not to mention this season where the assists were 38 to 15 in Fox's favour. Whether setting up
scoring plays will be an area of concern or not for Rathbone, time will tell.

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
Canucks need to just act like a professional organization with this guy. Respect his decisions whether it’s to sign a contract or go back to school and for however many years that goes on. This whole worrying about college guys becoming UFAs is so overblown. I wouldn’t even want to sign one of these UFA college guys because they’ve already showed zero loyalty to the teams that took a chance on them.

Rathbone by all accounts is a stand-up guy so I’m not in the least worried. Just be grateful our prospect is flourishing. Let the pieces fall where they may and we’ll see what happens.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Finished with 8 shots on goal --- 2 goals --- 4 scoring chances.
Listened to the 3rd period on radio as Ivy League broadcasting is absolutely brutal to get. Can watch more games against non Ivy-League ECAC teams.

The announcers mentioned he is playing at 193 pounds up from 175 as a freshman, and he is 5'11 now instead of his 5'10 draft height.

I mean Quinn hughes and Rathbone are born in the same year, and are only 137 days apart.
Vancouver could really have something here.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
The most noticeable thing about Quinn Hughes when he steps on the ice is his elite skating.

The only D prospect we have that has skating like Quinn is Jack Rathbone.

rathbone has kind of a hedican thing going on. jaw dropping natural skater but i really need to see more puck skills this season.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Whenever I’ve watched him (which admittedly hasn’t been a lot) his skating and puck skills have popped but his defensive positioning and commitment have been ... uh, underwhelming at best. Non-existent at worst.

He kinda strikes me as a speedy sniping winger playing oddly out-of-position on the blueline.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Whenever I’ve watched him (which admittedly hasn’t been a lot) his skating and puck skills have popped but his defensive positioning and commitment have been ... uh, underwhelming at best. Non-existent at worst.

He kinda strikes me as a speedy sniping winger playing oddly out-of-position on the blueline.

What did you think of Hughes' D in college? I don't think you took issue with Hughes' positioning but I think I remember others commenting on Hughes skating with his stick off the ice and how that's not going to fly in the NHL. Anyhow, it's a different comparison of course. Hughes' weakness was his size and strength, otherwise he dominated the college game. Rathbone might ideally be 3 years of college and out.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls

He was second highest on the team with a plus 13 last season, for what it's worth.

Could be due to having Fox as a D partner a fair bit, as Fox was the high man with plus 23. But still it could be noteworthy, maybe.

I guess we'll find out more about that this season.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Finished with 8 shots on goal --- 2 goals --- 4 scoring chances.
Listened to the 3rd period on radio as Ivy League broadcasting is absolutely brutal to get. Can watch more games against non Ivy-League ECAC teams.

The announcers mentioned he is playing at 193 pounds up from 175 as a freshman, and he is 5'11 now instead of his 5'10 draft height.

I mean Quinn hughes and Rathbone are born in the same year, and are only 137 days apart.
Vancouver could really have something here.

Not that it matters, but isn't that 147 days apart? Math isn't my strong point though . . .

Rathbone being basically 5 months older than Hughes?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Reminds me a lot of Torrey Krug from what I’ve seen the past year. Next few years will be important for development. Canucks need to hit on some of these non first rounders if they want to be a long term contender.
Except that Torrey Krug is 5'9" and listed at 185.....Rathbone is apparently already 5'11"and 195, and still only 20 years old....sounds to me he's built like a rock. And I remember from one the Prospect Development Camps, that his skating is effortless.

He's definitely flying below the radar screen in the Canucks prospect pool.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Lol!....I remember some posters were moaning about Rathbone going back to play high school hockey after he was drafted by the Canucks.....now look at him....still only 20 and a mainstay on the Harvard blueline.

It know it's still early in his career, but among all of the Canuck blueline prospects, Rathbone has the best skill-set to transition to the NHL one day imo....better than Juolevi, Woo or any of the guys in Utica.

Drafted at #95 overall.....it's like a winning lottery ticket in your Xmas stocking.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Looks like a really interesting prospect. ANOTHER American, great job by our American scouting team.

And the skating is just awesome. Especially if he really is 5'11'' 193lbs, thats just outstanding. He could be 5'11'' 200lbs if he makes the NHL and with his skating that is no problem at all.

My question for those who know him: How is his compete level? Does he compete like Stecher does despite his size? Or does he have Juolevi-itis where he's afraid of contact?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad