Speculation: 90% of the league's cap dollars already spent and teams trying to shed salary

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
The hard cap needs to go.
Yup. Many teams are going to financially struggle for years because of covid and a few teams will be on the brink or have to relocate. A luxury tax to get all those extra millions of dollars to the small market teams every year could make the difference in a city losing their team. The hard cap will kill teams going forward but a luxury tax would save them.....

Reactions: Azrael89

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
The only thing corona did was stop the cap from going up 3mil. This is entirely an issue of GMs constantly over spending with zero foresight.
Wrong. It stopped all gate revenue which the NHL is highly dependent on. So now essentially every NHL team is operating at a loss and will be till they can get full fan capacity in the arenas. Which will drive down what they are willing to pay for players in most aspects till it can be solved.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Meanwhile Jack Johnson was signed for $1.15 million

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
Yup. Many teams are going to financially struggle for years because of covid and a few teams will be on the brink or have to relocate. A luxury tax to get all those extra millions of dollars to the small market teams every year could make the difference in a city losing their team. The hard cap will kill teams going forward but a luxury tax would save them.....

A luxury tax? If the numbers are true a team like Nashville lost 11 million and has 47 million in gate receipts meaning a half full arena with the same players and personnel would lose 34 million. An empty rink with no changes would lose 58 million.
A luxury tax would maybe get 1 million to the poor teams the losses they are looking at is a nightmare.
A team like the sharks made ten million but they have 73 million in ticket sales on the line

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013

Hard cap is here to stay, ALL owners love it.
Would contracts with non-guaranteed money make a difference?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
That's not exactly what I meant.

I fully understand ticket prices are based entirely off of supply and demand, both pre cap and now.

My argument is that in the pre cap world, big market fans paid outrageous prices for tickets, but the tradeoff was it created a financial advantage for our team to pay more on players.

In the cap world, big market fans still pay outrageous prices for tickets, but at no tradeoff of the team paying more on players (or at least a much smaller tradeoff). Especially now with most teams at the cap ceiling.

The fair solution was to cap BOTH player salaries and ticket prices. That's what's most fair to all fans. But that of course would never happen, because being "fair" to fans was never the goal. Just making more money.

Isn't it better that ticket prices be uncapped, thereby "encouraging" fans to watch the team that they can afford to?

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
A luxury tax? If the numbers are true a team like Nashville lost 11 million and has 47 million in gate receipts meaning a half full arena with the same players and personnel would lose 34 million. An empty rink with no changes would lose 58 million.
A luxury tax would maybe get 1 million to the poor teams the losses they are looking at is a nightmare.
A team like the sharks made ten million but they have 73 million in ticket sales on the line
For it to work we need the fans back in the arenas before anything. No gate will be the death blow to a few teams but get the fans back in the building, luxury tax and maybe more has to be done after that to help some teams but the league will need help from the financial muscle of the league like NYR, Montreal, Toronto ect......

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
It makes as much sense as capping ticket prices.

Why would you want the league as a whole to leave money on the table?
Right. Why would they. The only "loser" with the hard cap are the fans in big markets. Clearly the nhl doesn't give a shit about them. They take advantage of them. It's just money. That's the precise problem I'm pointing out.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
It makes as much sense as capping ticket prices.

Why would you want the league as a whole to leave money on the table?

Because it’s exhausting as a fan to see tickets being used as coupons for one team and paying the highest price in the league. Seeing a game in Toronto is priced out for a lot of our fans.

Reactions: BlakeScheifehlaine

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
Those GM's were just basing it off of 20 years of cap era precedent. Nobody could have predicted a pandemic.

Well to be fair the players were going into CBA negotiations and were pissed about the amount of escrow and were determined to keep the cap from rising until they erased some escrow it was obvious some sort of freeze or adjustment was 100% on the way

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Right. Why would they. The only "loser" with the hard cap are the fans in big markets. Clearly the nhl doesn't give a shit about them. They take advantage of them. It's just money. That's the precise problem I'm pointing out.

The NHL is a business, they are out there to make money, which means charging whatever the market will bear -- not support a secondary/scalper market.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Because it’s exhausting as a fan to see tickets being used as coupons for one team and paying the highest price in the league. Seeing a game in Toronto is priced out for a lot of our fans.

Yes it is -- but the way to solve that isn't to place an artificial cap, it would be to increase capacity or come up with less expensive ways for fans to become immersed (better tv production)

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
These players and owners have no problem squeezing the fans so why exactly would the fans care about this other than to give a good hearty chuckle. I think the NHL collapsing would be a positive.

Reactions: Throw More Waffles

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
The NHL is a business, they are out there to make money, which means charging whatever the market will bear -- not support a secondary/scalper market.
I'm perfectly fine with that... as long as that's what the PLAYERS AND MANAGEMENT also agree to. Just keep it a free market supply and demand business across the board.

But to be "free market supply and demand" for tickets but create a socialized cba... that's what I'm calling bullshit on. It's not fair to the fans.

But yes, otherwise I fully agree. The nhl is a business and doesn't give the slightest of shits about being fair to the fans.

So what seems to be happening here is that you point out what the reality is. I counter that the reality is unfair to fans of large market teams. Then you respond by simply pointing out what reality is again. Please understand that you don't need to keep pointing out how it really works. I know how it really works. I'm criticizing how it really works.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
If Covid forces a team who cant draw flies on shit like Florida to relocate or go away or Arizona to do the same, good.

Fact is... Florida and Arizona are in huge trouble. Huge. Panthers and Yotes won't survive much longer. Some talk that Arizona is basically on life support right now.

Reactions: overlords

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad