Post-Game Talk: #9 | Flyers at Rangers | November 1, 2022 | 7:00 PM |

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Nobody is saying they should be doing better.
Well that’s not true at all.

We’ve got endless complaints that they are getting outshot by some of the league’s best teams.

And tons of complaints that Torts has them playing worse than even expected.

If that’s not saying they should be better, I don’t know what is.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
They get outshot and outchanced by EVERY team.

Here are the score adjusted ranks. With the exception of St. Louis, this passes the smell test of the worst teams in the league. A failed contender, two teams blatantly tanking, and a bunch of rebuilding teams that have been picking in the top 10.

1667418840742.png

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
And that's a surprise, why?
Three of your top six forwards out, new coach, new scheme.
What, you thought they were going to hit the ground running and shock the nation?

The only team on that list that's a surprise are the Blues, and to a lesser extent, the Caps.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
See above @LegionOfDoom91

Anyway, have the Flyers been the favorite going into a single game this season?

San Jose maybe. None of the other 8.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Tippett had a few decent plays but he also had like 15 turnovers, and many bad puck decisions. He’s a high motor guy so you notice him, but he made some very bad decisions tonight.

After two games I do not want to continue to watch Bellows play anymore. He’s got no ability to process, and looks like he’s skating with cement blocks on.

This team has no offensive ability, which we all knew was going to be the issue, but they are shooting themselves in the foot, too. Putting Frost with two slugs who have no fundamental understanding on how to play the game is wasting his offensive talent. Putting Allison on the 4th line is wasting talent. Provorov and Mac on the 2nd power play is wasting time and ability.

We all knew this team wasn’t going to be any good, but they continue to not put their players in positions to be successful. Obviously this is the most frustrating part.

I'll say it 'till the cows come home: opportunity cost. Bellows is whatever with injuries, and he won't be long for the team if he's been this bad. Tortorella effectively uses 2 lines with any consistent usage (in this day and age). Tippett is in that mix, while getting immensely valuable PP1 time. I truly don't need several seasons of such usage to know he's not a long term piece. But then again, I didn't trade Giroux for him. Meanwhile, along with Cates (who I think can be a piece, as depth!), he's sucking up usage with actual NHL players, while Frost and Allison effectively rot.

I'm okay with churning through players on a rebuilding team, but they're not churning. It's the same players, the same usage. And the churning is 30+ players, sub-replacements, and waivers.

They get outshot and outchanced by EVERY team.

Here are the score adjusted ranks. With the exception of St. Louis, this passes the smell test of the worst teams in the league. A failed contender, two teams blatantly tanking, and a bunch of rebuilding teams that have been picking in the top 10.

View attachment 602307

Okay, but they're only 2nd worst in xGF%. Bottom 10 PP by every measure. Average on the PK.

Silver linings.

sauce88

Jul 6, 2011
What, you thought they were going to hit the ground running and shock the nation?

The only team on that list that's a surprise are the Blues, and to a lesser extent, the Caps.
It's not a surprise, it's just sad and disappointing that this is a culmination Fletcher's four seasons with the Flyers. One of the worst GMs the Flyers have ever employed.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
21 teams have a high danger sv% over .800
19 of those teams are between .800-.882
The 2nd best team is at .911
That seems like quite the clusture then one a bit higher.

The Flyers are at .968!!! Pretty easy to see it's an outlier that won't continue.

For those wondering, last year was .822....19th best in the league. The year before, .789 good for dead last.

Torts has them playing the right way. Culture engaged!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Tippett is going to be a long term piece, probably no more than a middle six guy, but has the size and speed to be a very good forechecker, can carry the puck through traffic and can shoot. He'd have to take his game up a couple notches to be a top 6 forward, but can still have plenty of value in a lesser role. Didn't expect much more from a "B" prospect. Nor were you getting much more for Giroux than a 1st rd pick, "B" prospect and another asset.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

It should be a huge surprise to you given you hyped Tortorella up to be an offensive genius who would squeeze impossible levels of offensive potential out of the team. Every time I doubted that you scoffed.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Tippett is going to be a long term piece, probably no more than a middle six guy, but has the size and speed to be a very good forechecker, can carry the puck through traffic and can shoot. He'd have to take his game up a couple notches to be a top 6 forward, but can still have plenty of value in a lesser role. Didn't expect much more from a "B" prospect. Nor were you getting much more for Giroux than a 1st rd pick, "B" prospect and another asset.

Other GMs could have gotten more for Giroux.

Reactions: Adtar02

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'll say it 'till the cows come home: opportunity cost. Bellows is whatever with injuries, and he won't be long for the team if he's been this bad. Tortorella effectively uses 2 lines with any consistent usage (in this day and age). Tippett is in that mix, while getting immensely valuable PP1 time. I truly don't need several seasons of such usage to know he's not a long term piece. But then again, I didn't trade Giroux for him. Meanwhile, along with Cates (who I think can be a piece, as depth!), he's sucking up usage with actual NHL players, while Frost and Allison effectively rot.

I'm okay with churning through players on a rebuilding team, but they're not churning. It's the same players, the same usage. And the churning is 30+ players, sub-replacements, and waivers.

Okay, but they're only 2nd worst in xGF%. Bottom 10 PP by every measure. Average on the PK.

Silver linings.

Yeah but just think about how hard it looks like they're trying as they struggle to keep up.

• Wow
Reactions: Magua

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Tippett is going to be a long term piece

If I said numerous times he was exactly like Konecny, I suppose I would also have this opinion.

To everyone else, there is nothing so far that screams core piece. He's still in fringe NHL territory. This team will stink for a long time, so I guess "long term piece" could be plausible.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Like they do for the super bowl when they pick winners with the animals at the zoo. They lay the options out & the let the animal go to it. I would rather use that method with making decisions over letting this current regime make decisions for this organization.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad