Post-Game Talk: #9 | Flyers at Rangers | November 1, 2022 | 7:00 PM |

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Just wait for Hart to come back to earth, then they'll most certainly be one of the worst 3-5 teams. Hart can't keep his .95sv% all year.
but it's so easy to enjoy it while it lasts. it is really a great performance.

I'm watching all the games on condensed replay, every single one, and it is best Flyers viewing for me in years. all the Flyers good and less of the inevitable bad this roster will just have to suffer through.

Reactions: Cody Webster

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
the slide to the norm in the standings has already started..

Hart cant carry a team for 82 games... no goalie can
very happy to watch and see. so far, nothing he's doing looks like it can't be simply repeated game after game by a focused netminder.

way more likely the team around him will simply breakdown MORE and starting giving up really golden chances. instead of just the smattering of golden chances thus far. last season, Flyers lost how many games by 3 or more goals? 27, so anything that keeps that number down, even temporarily, is progress.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Did Frost play? I think I saw him once. On the other hand, Tippett had a great game, he's is a skilled puck handler and a good passer and he busts his butt to get back these days.

This was a horrible game by the refs, MacEwen tripped, no call, Allison makes a great defensive play, trip, Hayes tripped no call, TK pulled down no call - maybe the most lopsided reffed game I've seen in a while - yes the Flyers suck, but you don't have to pile on.

Flyers played the Rangers even in the 1st and 3rd periods, but were MIA in the 2nd. One reason they get outshot is simply because they don't shoot - too many times they get cute instead of taking the shot and crashing the net for the rebuild - and TK is the worst offender.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Tippett had a few decent plays but he also had like 15 turnovers, and many bad puck decisions. Heā€™s a high motor guy so you notice him, but he made some very bad decisions tonight.

After two games I do not want to continue to watch Bellows play anymore. Heā€™s got no ability to process, and looks like heā€™s skating with cement blocks on.

This team has no offensive ability, which we all knew was going to be the issue, but they are shooting themselves in the foot, too. Putting Frost with two slugs who have no fundamental understanding on how to play the game is wasting his offensive talent. Putting Allison on the 4th line is wasting talent. Provorov and Mac on the 2nd power play is wasting time and ability.

We all knew this team wasnā€™t going to be any good, but they continue to not put their players in positions to be successful. Obviously this is the most frustrating part.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I like the one line "did Frost play, I didn't notice him." Frost's usage by the Flyers is so awful, it's as bad as the Washington Commanders use of cornerback William Jackson III. The guy was a man cover, but Rivera and his 'genius' thought that Jackson could be used in a zone coverage and it blew up on them. Such is the case with Frost. Can't use him m in an offensive role because RARGH HEAVY VETERANS, so the geniuses decide to use him in a third line role and give him scraps for ice time. The team is such a shit show. The only good thing is that when Hart starts putting up a .915 to .920 save percentage, the team will be badly exposed and the 'heavy veterans' will be called out on the carpet. As I mentioned in another post, Frost needs to get away from this madness.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
This team is fun to watch when you have no expectations.

They get smoked on possession and play-driving in every game, but I kind of expect that to happen.

Tippett is interesting, but also looks like he's handling a live grenade at times. Lost track of the puck on his stick and whiffed a few times too.

The team seems like they often have the right idea, but they just don't have the skill or experience to pull it off. Some of it will come with experience... some of it will never come unless they have better players.

Hart is the story of the season so far, and if that's the main story of the year, that's a great one. Sandstrom, on the other hand, seems to be set up for a spanking tonight. Woof.

Reactions: Harold Bingo

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Bellows seems like a complete non entity.

Flyers played the Rangers even in the 1st and 3rd periods, but were MIA in the 2nd. One reason they get outshot is simply because they don't shoot - too many times they get cute instead of taking the shot and crashing the net for the rebuild - and TK is the worst offender.
TK has 9 more shots than anyone else on the team. :teach:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
That Anthony Dimarco little f*** hole and the rest of the scum are blaming Frost again. They are so f***ing stupid.

With out Hart this garbage team has Zero wins.

They are as cretinous as they are transparent.

N Cates has 5 shots and 1 point in 9 games under Torts while playing in the top 6. That's less offense than Nick Seeler has provided from the 3rd pair. Somehow Noah gets a free pass despite his offense going MIA. No surprise there.

Noah Cates looks like a better player to me than either Frost or Tippett. He's continued his fine play from last spring into this fall:
16g 4-4 8 xGF 56.84% at 5x5
5g xGF 67.41%

Cates has improved his skating, he's gotten stronger, and playing in a defense first college scheme means the defensive side of the game is second nature - it's his offense that has been the big surprise. He has good hands in crowds, which is a key to scoring in the "dirty areas." He has a very high hockey IQ, anticipates at both ends of the ice. High motor and no fear.

I think, like Lindblom pre-cancer, Noah Cates has a chance to develop into a top 6 forward as the perfect complimentary player who does the dirty work on a scoring line.

Last edited:

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I like the one line "did Frost play, I didn't notice him." Frost's usage by the Flyers is so awful, it's as bad as the Washington Commanders use of cornerback William Jackson III. The guy was a man cover, but Rivera and his 'genius' thought that Jackson could be used in a zone coverage and it blew up on them. Such is the case with Frost. Can't use him m in an offensive role because RARGH HEAVY VETERANS, so the geniuses decide to use him in a third line role and give him scraps for ice time. The team is such a shit show. The only good thing is that when Hart starts putting up a .915 to .920 save percentage, the team will be badly exposed and the 'heavy veterans' will be called out on the carpet. As I mentioned in another post, Frost needs to get away from this madness.

Frost had one shift that was legit the best a Flyer looked yest. One shift he destroyed 2 Rags on board battles and moved the puck out of the D zone. Crushed the exact thing that Chucks nephews here crucify him for.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Tortorella is an excellent coach. Most people here rated the Flyers as one of the worst 3-5 teams in the NHL entering the season, and that was BEFORE knowing Couturier and Atkinson wouldn't play and that JVR would get hurt a few games in.

Now these same people are acting like it's Torts' fault that the Flyers aren't able to play an even possession game against the best teams in the NHL.

It all makes sense when you realize the overriding motivation of posting is to complain about the people you don't like.

The team is BRUTAL, most here told you that.

Torts is also BRUTAL, most here told you that.

HE is making an awful team even worse, somehow they are miles worse defensively than previous years, that's impressive for a great defensive mind. His love for the worst of our slop is a massive detriment.

Hart is the SOLE reason we are a ,500 team, and now we are starting to lose even when he is at his best.

N Cates has 5 shots and 1 point in 9 games under Torts while playing in the top 6. That's less offense than Nick Seeler has provided from the 3rd pair. Somehow Noah gets a free pass despite his offense going MIA. No surprise there.

I don't hate Cates at all, but you hit the nail on the head here, The dynamic duo here and the schils for the Flyers prove this point with their love for one and hatred of the other.

• Love
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Bellows seems like a complete non entity.

TK has 9 more shots than anyone else on the team. :teach:
And he should have more, while I admire his unselfishness, it's like a great 3 point shooter in basketball, "be selfish!"
Notice opposing teams have no compunction about firing away and hoping for a rebound.

Yes, Bellows and MacEwen aren't ideal wings, but neither are Deslauriers and Allison. Both lines played 6+ minutes:
Frost line CF 0.00%, xGF 0.00%
Sedlak line CF 44.44%, xGF 37.71%

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Tortorella is an excellent coach. Most people here rated the Flyers as one of the worst 3-5 teams in the NHL entering the season, and that was BEFORE knowing Couturier and Atkinson wouldn't play and that JVR would get hurt a few games in.

Now these same people are acting like it's Torts' fault that the Flyers aren't able to play an even possession game against the best teams in the NHL.

It all makes sense when you realize the overriding motivation of posting is to complain about the people you don't like.
Pot meet Kettle

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Torts comes to CBJ, Bob goes from .918 and .908 to .931, .921, .913, then to Florida, .900, .906, .913.

Torts comes to NY, Lundvist goes from .917, .912 to .916, .921, .923, .930, .926

Torts comes to PHL, Hart is revived.

Maybe the play of his teams makes life easier on goalies?

The emphasis on back checking and clearing the crease may mean less dangerous rebounds and less time for odd man rushes to make plays.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

HE is making an awful team even worse, somehow they are miles worse defensively than previous years, that's impressive for a great defensive mind. His love for the worst of our slop is a massive detriment.

Hart is the SOLE reason we are a ,500 team, and now we are starting to lose even when he is at his best.

I don't hate Cates at all, but you hit the nail on the head here, The dynamic duo here and the schils for the Flyers prove this point with their love for one and hatred of the other.
1)The complaints number one priority is how Flusher has built this team. It is a team lacking talent, lacking skill, lacking draft picks, lacking cap management lacking everything. Unless u think its all Ghost's fault.

2)People on here should be equally critical of Cates and Frost if you are watching the games. They both have been disappointments so far. Is Torts helping matters playing Hayes and TK 23 minutes a night? Of course not. The problem is very clear that people on here have pet favorites and can't criticize fairly. So what is going to happen? Hayes and TK will be burned out or injured by game 60 by overplaying. And the same pattern the fans have seen year after year will continue. Start strong and die mid way. But good news we will develop Sedlek into a 4c to trade for a 5th come deadline as a rental. OH JOY., Cates should be dropped down to 4th line for a game to motivate if you are going to show equal criticism. But the night of the living flyer fan(some not all of course) will zombify and walk around aimlessly praising Torts. Its stunning that people are watching games the flyers are out chanced 3 to 1 and are saying look at the job Torts is doing because they got a point.

3) The only chance this team has of getting points is when Carter Hart plays. PERIOD.

Its 11:57 for Cindertorterella. Its not hard to see what is coming. The orange and black's record will turn into a pumpkin soon enough. Unless you are willfully blind and deny reality.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
And it's 9 games into the season.
You thought Torts would wave a magic wand and turn them into the Avs?

They have Couts, Atkinson and JVR out, 3 of 6 of their top 6 forwards.

I predicted 75-80 points before the season, and gradual improvement as the season progressed and that they'd work in prospects as the season progressed, with a number playing in the spring in preparation for 2023-24.

There's a reason Torts doesn't talk about their record or expectations, he's been clear from the get go that this season is about installing schemes and his philosophy, and evaluating players.

They had a tough opening schedule, as the team plays together and the schedule gets easier, they'll look better even thought the win loss record may be worse. But it's going to take time, players will be give the opportunity to move up the lineup or play themselves off the roster.

Over reacting to the 5-2-2 record is as stupid as overreacting to bad metrics.
Neither mean much, because this season doesn't mean much.
By April we'll have a much better idea of who will stay and who will be gone.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

The idea that Frost's time and usage is based entirely on merit is completely incinerated to dust by Cates

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
And it's 9 games into the season.
You thought Torts would wave a magic wand and turn them into the Avs?

They have Couts, Atkinson and JVR out, 3 of 6 of their top 6 forwards.

I predicted 75-80 points before the season, and gradual improvement as the season progressed and that they'd work in prospects as the season progressed, with a number playing in the spring in preparation for 2023-24.

There's a reason Torts doesn't talk about their record or expectations, he's been clear from the get go that this season is about installing schemes and his philosophy, and evaluating players.

They had a tough opening schedule, as the team plays together and the schedule gets easier, they'll look better even thought the win loss record may be worse. But it's going to take time, players will be give the opportunity to move up the lineup or play themselves off the roster.

Over reacting to the 5-2-2 record is as stupid as overreacting to bad metrics.
Neither mean much, because this season doesn't mean much.
By April we'll have a much better idea of who will stay and who will be gone.

You literally spent months describing the ways Tortorella would magically transform the team and their entire approach.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

Torts is making them worse than a team you thought was in contention for last in the league even *before* Couturier & Atkinson missed every game & JVR is out for 6 weeks?

Puh-lease.

You donā€™t like Torts so youā€™re just finding reasons to complain about him.

Fight4yourRight

ā€œChuckā€™s my guyā€
Dec 18, 2017
jesus! listening to Torts after gamepresser its clear he already thinks theres to much youth in the lineup..

when he gets some of the injured guys back, 100% any youth is going down to LHV.

my disapointment level with how this teams roster is constructed and treated is off the scale..

i always wanted Torts here but not with this shit roster.. but its becoming clear Torts only understands old time hockey..

sigh.... #gutted

The ā€œgoodā€ news is, that these guys wonā€™t be back till April/next season, if ever again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad