GDT: 9/29/15 - 7:30PM EDT - Tampa Bay vs Pittsburgh @ Johnstown, PA [Preseason Game 5]

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Is it me or Sustr doesn't get better with time.....he was so bad yesterday on at least 2-3 goals of the Pens and he plays softer than any d-man on our team even Matt Carle. I see Koekkoek staying rather than the akward giraffe Sustr.

Koekkoek had a very impressive game, speed, strength along the boards and confidence the skate with the puck. I'd rather see icetime being used for his development right now.

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
You don't say? Get your team together and remind them what it was like to be hungry.

I've been VERY wary of a Cup hangover and I just hope these preseason games are just rust and not signs of anything to come

Same. I'm also very concerned that if he doesn't get the team playing well how long is it going to be until we hear "Stamkos contract affecting leadership abilities"

We gotta start the season out well

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
You don't say? Get your team together and remind them what it was like to be hungry.

I've been VERY wary of a Cup hangover and I just hope these preseason games are just rust and not signs of anything to come

There's almost inevitably going to be a finals hangover.

That said, these statements by Stammer annoy me. Not the statements themselves, but they remind me of last year's playoffs when he would make exactly these statements while not leading the way on the ice. I'd like to see a little more Yzerman/Messier out of him. More than just words in front of a camera.

I do think he showed some promising flashes last night though.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
There's almost inevitably going to be a finals hangover.

That said, these statements by Stammer annoy me. Not the statements themselves, but they remind me of last year's playoffs when he would make exactly these statements while not leading the way on the ice. I'd like to see a little more Yzerman/Messier out of him. More than just words in front of a camera.

I do think he showed some promising flashes last night though.

Exactly, can't really make those statements and then half ass the games yourself. Story of his captaincy so far though, always says the right things but doesn't do the right things.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Exactly, can't really make those statements and then half ass the games yourself. Story of his captaincy so far though, always says the right things but doesn't do the right things.

I think that's a bit unfair. Most of us were disappointed with his play last year, but he did many things that helped spark the team when we were down. He set the tone with big hits, played hard, and even took on Marchand for a questionable hit on Flip. Sure, he wasn't the offensive phenom we were used to, but he was no slouch in the "doing the right things" department.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think that's a bit unfair. Most of us were disappointed with his play last year, but he did many things that helped spark the team when we were down. He set the tone with big hits, played hard, and even took on Marchand for a questionable hit on Flip. Sure, he wasn't the offensive phenom we were used to, but he was no slouch in the "doing the right things" department.

A lot of that stuff gets a lot of airplay, but it's really beside the point. It's only thing to throw a big hit or tackle a guy when you're "not expected to" (which, really, is why we're so impressed). It's another thing to make the right decision time after time, shift after shift, game after game. He can't have a lazy night, call the team out for having a lazy night, and then go on to have another lazy night. We saw a lot of that last year.

Toews doesn't get all the praise for his leadership ability because he's tackling Brad Marchand. And it's not about what he says in front of the microphone. It's about what he delivers on the ice, consistently.

Just saying. It's fine for Stamkos to call out the team like that. But he should probably try to back it up next game. He usually doesn't.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

What? He defintely did not do those things for the majority of last season, including the playoffs.

You said it yourself most were disappointed with his play and it wasn't just the offense. I'm not going to dive into it because they've been hashed out for the past year.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
What? He defintely did not do those things for the majority of last season, including the playoffs.

You said it yourself most were disappointed with his play and it wasn't just the offense. I'm not going to dive into it because they've been hashed out for the past year.

I remember him mugging Marchand at the end of the season in response to a dirty hit, that was pretty awesome. Outside of that, he wasn't doing too much inspiring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad