Post-Game Talk: 9/26 PS 7 - Red Wings 3 BRUINS 2 F/OT

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

Backes at center? Hmmmm

They tried it once last season. And that line actually looked good, until Backes got injured and had to leave the game. Then Krejci took over the 1c duty. I believe it was the beautiful comeback game vs Hurricaines

Reactions: DrJustice

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
The center battles will be interesting. Hopefully someone steps up and we get a little more clarity after this one.

yup.

I have a good feeling about the Cehlarik Frederic Stempniak line which was a force vs the Flyers two days ago

If this line has another stellar game.... it will be "popcorn eating" interesting as to what happens next

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
yup.

I have a good feeling about the Cehlarik Frederic Stempniak line which was a force vs the Flyers two days ago

If this line has another stellar game.... it will be "popcorn eating" interesting as to what happens next
That'd be a heckuva top line for Providence.

JFK on the 2nd line leads me to think he's the management's front runner for 3C right now.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
And I like the 63-42-88 line. I've said it a few times this offseason, and I think Bergeron's injury status could affirm this plan... Let Backes start as 1C (if Nash could find success there last year, Backes definitely can, too) and put Bergy as 3C with two of Heinen/Bjork/Donato. This gives Bergeron time to get back up to speed after injury and allows our young centers to develop further in Providence before being thrown into the 3C spot.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
WiFi is straight traaaaash in this building. My god. Can’t delete my double post so I’ll edit. Apparently that’s less strain on the network somehow. Curse you garbage WiFi

Just real excited to finally get a NESN broadcast. Even if their quality has gone down each of the last few years.

Last edited:

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
If Backes is playing center, it's not showing a tonne of confidence in a) Bergy's health or b) the trio of rookies

Team needs to make sure to ease Bergeron and Krug back into the lineup. There is no rush so early into the season

Reactions: BMC

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
If Backes is playing center, it's not showing a tonne of confidence in a) Bergy's health or b) the trio of rookies

I disagree on this. If the season started today, you're not throwing Frederic, Studnicka, JFK between those two as your #1 line. Backes is the most logical choice to fill that #1 role for a short time if Bergy isn't ready.

Reactions: rocketdan9

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Are the Bruins getting Backes acclimated at center because of Bergeron's injury or because Cehlarik is pushing for a roster spot this season over JFK and Frederic? I hope it is because of the latter but playing Backes at center has always been the logical choice given how many wing prospects the Bruins have that are ready to make the team.

Reactions: Bruinator

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Are the Bruins getting Backes acclimated at center because of Bergeron's injury or because Cehlarik is pushing for a roster spot this season over JFK and Frederic? I hope it is because of the latter but playing Backes at center has always been the logical choice given how many wing prospects the Bruins have that are ready to make the team.
Making room for Cehlarik is where my mind went which I certainly wouldn't be upset with, outside I'm not sure Donato has proven himself this preseason but I'm pretty sure he is going to be given a spot. As others have said they seemed to know what they wanted the team to look like before camp started and to push someone out of a spot your play needs to really be above the competition.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
I'm thrilled Backes is centering Marchy and Pasta.

Also gives us the flexibility to flip Backes and Krejci if Backes seems a little overwhelmed. I thought that was the point of signing Backes in the first place.

Reactions: BMC

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Backes to center full time would help a lot when everyone returns healthy. It opens up that extra wing spot for one of Cehlarik/Bjork and it definitely makes the Bruins deeper down the middle. Also allows Frederic/JFK more time in the AHL.

Reactions: Grimey

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Making room for Cehlarik is where my mind went which I certainly wouldn't be upset with, outside I'm not sure Donato has proven himself this preseason but I'm pretty sure he is going to be given a spot. As others have said they seemed to know what they wanted the team to look like before camp started and to push someone out of a spot your play needs to really be above the competition.

I'll be honest, I think its more getting Backes reps in case Bergy can't start the season. If that is the case and Backes is getting reps, my guess is that they know Bergy wont be ready to start the season. They also have Szwarz playing #4C, but he's a RW. It could just be trying to fill in guys to make the roster work with the players they have available.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
I WILL get game tonight. I just ordered sports package, same as last year $33/month..But where I changed from Bell to Eastlink, it's not called NHL Centre Ice, just called Super Sports and it includes NBA, NFL,MLB and NHL..Many times last year, I got Bruins game with option to watch Bruin Commentators or other teams, games were usually on 2 stations.

Guys/Gals How do you feel about Winnik and Stempniak still hanging around?? I dont mind Winnik maybe being 13th forward and playing occasional game on 4th line but Stempniak still being here concern me. He's not a 4th line player but might steal the 3rd line opening. This concerns me as I really want one of our kids like JFK to grab that spot..

Last edited:

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
I WILL get game tonight. I just ordered sports package, same as last year $33/month..But where I changed from Bell to Eastlink, it's not called NHL Centre Ice, just called Super Sports and it includes NBA, NFL,MLB and NHL..Many times last year, I got Bruins game with option to watch Bruin Commentators or other teams, games were usually on 2 stations.

Guys/Gals How do you feel about Winnik and Stempniak still hanging around?? I dont mind Winnik maybe being 13th forward and playing occasional game on 4th line but Stempniak still being here concern me. He's not a 4th line player but might steal the 3rd line opening. This concerns me as I really want one of our kids like KFC to grab that spot..
If he plays the way he did the last coupler of games, it doesn't concern me at all. Bottom line is he came in to audition for a spot. He has 5 points in 3 games and has played responsibly in his own end. Not sure what more he could do to show he belongs. If 1 of the young guys needs to spend another year developing because he is doing a great job on the 3rd line so be it.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

Guys/Gals How do you feel about Winnik and Stempniak still hanging around?? I dont mind Winnik maybe being 13th forward and playing occasional game on 4th line but Stempniak still being here concern me. He's not a 4th line player but might steal the 3rd line opening. This concerns me as I really want one of our kids like KFC to grab that spot..
Yep. I just got the same package...

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005

If Winnik takes the veteran minimum then I'd sign him,though with everyone coming back healthy not sure they'll be a huge need,Stempniak had one very good game,I'd wish him the best and happy trails

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
Yep. I just got the same package...

Did you notice games is on ch 454 for 7pm and then it shows Winnepeg game for 8pm...I did notice that the Jet and Wild I believe are also on another station so I'm not too concerned. We should get complete game..

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
If he plays the way he did the last coupler of games, it doesn't concern me at all. Bottom line is he came in to audition for a spot. He has 5 points in 3 games and has played responsibly in his own end. Not sure what more he could do to show he belongs. If 1 of the young guys needs to spend another year developing because he is doing a great job on the 3rd line so be it.

Hard to argue against what you said my friend..Maybe some of the kids are not as close as I was hoping they would be like Studnicka for example..But you're right, another year developing can only do them good..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad