GDT: 9/23 Happy Preseason! Game 1: Boston Bruins @ Montreal Canadiens 7:30pm ET RDS, 98.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Just the attitude of the whole team... I think it shows when they are ready and willing to drop em they play better in the big spot... The last two exits the team was flat and emotionless and we even heard some players say so...

13 fights in two SC play-offs, 0 in two exits..I don't know, seems to have some credence ..

I think the success more comes from the CONFIDENCE to fight, as opposed to the actual fighting.

Those teams that didn't make it to the Finals lacked the swagger that the '11 and '13 squads did. It's one of those intangibles that makes a huge difference, IMO.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I think the success more comes from the CONFIDENCE to fight, as opposed to the actual fighting.

Those teams that didn't make it to the Finals lacked the swagger that the '11 and '13 squads did. It's one of those intangibles that makes a huge difference, IMO.

Right exactly....when you see guys like Bergeron, Seids and Kelly dropping the gloves, it's infectious. When you look at last year's team and the 2012 bunch, it's like bleck, no fire, not personality really...like they didn't seem into it at all..

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Right exactly....when you see guys like Bergeron, Seids and Kelly dropping the gloves, it's infectious. When you look at last year's team and the 2012 bunch, it's like bleck, no fire, not personality really...like they didn't seem into it at all..

Remind me again, what team the bolded played for in 2012?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

Glad to see DK is in SC finals, Game 6 mode already.

Wait, sorry, are we harping only on Spooner's defense?

lol glad to see you are in mid-season Krejci-hating form.

Apparently getting body checked is the same as playing awful defense. I had no idea.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006

The most successful coach in the city hates that word. Swagger is a Rex Ryan word/concept.

I don't remember the Blackhawks having swagger, they executed. We had swagger when we were dragging Montreal and Toronto into game 7 OTs in 2011/2013? Would we be talking about swagger had the puck bounced the wrong way in either of those games?

We fought in those series, we had the confidence to fight, and we looked like dogs*** to the point where once bounce in either game and your 2014 Boston Bruins organization looks completely different.

Swagger was the difference in Benoit Pouliot making a s*** dump in against Washington, or Zdeno Chara getting a compound fracture this year?

Let's also not forget that the key players were largely the same 2011-2014. And some of those are key players that we're bemoaning the lack of.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Remind me again, what team the bolded played for in 2012?

I know, I'm saying they are a better TEAM when they drop the gloves...It seems to rally them , especially when the chips are down, or they need a spark or when it's one of the guys that normally don't do it...

If you disagree , then I can't change your mind, but I can't see how people can say this isn't a better team when they are fighting...I mean I think it's obvious to the naked eye, but maybe it's just me.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
So your saying we traded a potential franchise player, 50 goal scorer for someone to ride defensive shotgun on the first line.

wholly overpayment batman.

Don't look at me. Look at Claude he's the one who put him out there. Apparently he wasn't sure that line would be defensively responsible. Sounds very familiar doesn't it?

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
What's wrong with eliminating useless plugs that skate for less than 5 min per game in favor of more versatile guys that can scrap a little, but also play hockey.

I don't see any scenario where that is a bad thing.

I don't either. Goon vs goon staged fighting is going and none too soon for me.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
I know, I'm saying they are a better TEAM when they drop the gloves...It seems to rally them , especially when the chips are down, or they need a spark or when it's one of the guys that normally don't do it...

If you disagree , then I can't change your mind, but I can't see how people can say this isn't a better team when they are fighting...I mean I think it's obvious to the naked eye, but maybe it's just me.

They are a better team when their goaltenders play out of their minds (Vancouver, Philly, NYR, Pitt)

When the goaltending is average, you get very similar results (game 7s against mediocre Southeastern teams Tampa, Carolina, Washington), 3-0 collapses, game 7s against mediocre Northeast teams (Montreal x 2, Toronto)

This is the concept people SHOULD see, Fighting is what they want to see. It's boring to be the Great Goaltending Bruins. Doesn't sound good in bar arguments or on Twitter.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
They are a better team when their goaltenders play out of their minds (Vancouver, Philly, NYR, Pitt)

When the goaltending is average, you get very similar results (game 7s against mediocre Southeastern teams Tampa, Carolina, Washington), 3-0 collapses, game 7s against mediocre Northeast teams (Montreal x 2, Toronto)

This is the concept people SHOULD see, Fighting is what they want to see. It's boring to be the Great Goaltending Bruins. Doesn't sound good in bar arguments or on Twitter.

You can have both though, no?

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
The most successful coach in the city hates that word. Swagger is a Rex Ryan word/concept.

I don't remember the Blackhawks having swagger, they executed. We had swagger when we were dragging Montreal and Toronto into game 7 OTs in 2011/2013? Would we be talking about swagger had the puck bounced the wrong way in either of those games?

We fought in those series, we had the confidence to fight, and we looked like dogs*** to the point where once bounce in either game and your 2014 Boston Bruins organization looks completely different.

Swagger was the difference in Benoit Pouliot making a s*** dump in against Washington, or Zdeno Chara getting a compound fracture this year?

Let's also not forget that the key players were largely the same 2011-2014. And some of those are key players that we're bemoaning the lack of.

I'm sorry, I just don't agree.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

The 2011 Bruins were far more like a rambunctious Jets team than the Patriots IMO...That team had "swagger", "balls" ... whatever you want to call it?

The Ference Finger is a Rex Ryan move if I ever saw one.

Same in 2013 in those last ten minutes vs Toronto...

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
The 2011 Bruins were far more like a rambunctious Jets team than the Patriots IMO...That team had "swagger", "balls" ... whatever you want to call it?

Christ, for large swaths of that season (and 2013) that was the exact thing people said the Bruins LACKED. Was I the only one around for games 1-2 of that Habs series? Or when they let a medicore Tampa team hang around for 7 games. Swagger? Please.

And I have a hard time comparing a team that has won something with the Rex Ryan Jets. His teams have swagger/balls every year. But lo and behold, when their QB sucks, they suck. That's what I think about swagger.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006

Same in 2013 in those last ten minutes vs Toronto...

Last 10 minutes vs. Toronto = Desperation and James Reimer. Not swagger.

If that's Carey Price a few of our favorite swaggery Bruins are employed elsewhere.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Claude was pulling a Belichek on Ryan. He is a good kid and they like a lot of his game they are just stepping on him a bit.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Christ, for large swaths of that season (and 2013) that was the exact thing people said the Bruins LACKED. Was I the only one around for games 1-2 of that Habs series? Or when they let a medicore Tampa team hang around for 7 games. Swagger? Please.

And I have a hard time comparing a team that has won something with the Rex Ryan Jets. His teams have swagger/balls every year. But lo and behold, when their QB sucks, they suck. That's what I think about swagger.

Roloson played out of his mind during the TB series, he was the only reason that series went to 7 games.

Well that & Steven Stamkos blocking a Johnny Boychuk slap shot with his nose.....

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Claude was pulling a Belichek on Ryan. He is a good kid and they like a lot of his game they are just stepping on him a bit.

I can't recall Belichick ever singling out a player for criticism like that.

The BB quote I mentioned earlier: Swagger, FFS.

“It’s really embarrassing.IT really is. It’s embarrassing. Can’t hit the snap count. Can’t line up on side. There are holding penalties in the defensive passing game every week for key conversions. There are holding penalties on offense, giving the ball away like we don’t give a nuts about it. Just turn it over to ‘em. Leave the ball lying on the field there for five seconds while they come from 30 yards away to recover it. It’s just dumb football, fellas.

I’ll tell you one other thing too, I’ve read a couple of comments. Now, I don’t spend a lot of time reading the paper. I really don’t. but I do watch a little about what we say and what we think. I’ve seen a couple comments here, some of the players talking about we need to get our ‘swagger’ back. Our attitude back.....you know what? We didn’t have a ‘swagger’ last year. If you think about it, we didn’t have a swagger. What we had awas a sense of urgency, a sense of urgency about playing well, being smart, and capitalizing on every opportunity and situation that came our way….it wasn’t about a swagger. You can take that swagger and shove it up your ***, okay?!†- Bill Belichick, addressing the team during the Patriots 2003 season.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I don't know that anyone would disagree with you. I certainly don't.

There's a huge difference between overall toughness and idiot plugs...and you know that.

I was just responding to Brad's post where he was comparing the trend away from goon 4th lines to the trend of having bad backup goalies. I may have totally misconstrued what he was saying there because I don't think the two are remotely comparable :laugh:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I can't recall Belichick ever singling out a player for criticism like that.

The BB quote I mentioned earlier: Swagger, FFS.

“It’s really embarrassing.IT really is. It’s embarrassing. Can’t hit the snap count. Can’t line up on side. There are holding penalties in the defensive passing game every week for key conversions. There are holding penalties on offense, giving the ball away like we don’t give a nuts about it. Just turn it over to ‘em. Leave the ball lying on the field there for five seconds while they come from 30 yards away to recover it. It’s just dumb football, fellas.

I’ll tell you one other thing too, I’ve read a couple of comments. Now, I don’t spend a lot of time reading the paper. I really don’t. but I do watch a little about what we say and what we think. I’ve seen a couple comments here, some of the players talking about we need to get our ‘swagger’ back. Our attitude back.....you know what? We didn’t have a ‘swagger’ last year. If you think about it, we didn’t have a swagger. What we had awas a sense of urgency, a sense of urgency about playing well, being smart, and capitalizing on every opportunity and situation that came our way….it wasn’t about a swagger. You can take that swagger and shove it up your ***, okay?!†- Bill Belichick, addressing the team during the Patriots 2003 season.

I messed up meant Parcell's

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Swagger, confidence to fight, overall toughness, blah, blah, blah.

Fighting for fighting's sake ultimately doesn't do *****. The correlation between fighting and winning is indirect, but lines may be drawn when the fighting is the product of passionate play, physicality, players doing absolutely everything they can to win, and the circumstances. I say circumstances because it's highly possible to play balls to the wall and fights not occur, i.e. the 2014 playoffs wher ethere was nary a fight at all. LA looked pretty *****ing tough out there to me, despite lack of brawls.

It's the desire to win along with talent, supreme goaltending, guys buying into the system and doing their jobs, restraint when called for, quite often luck, etc.that wins games, series and titles. Not the fact that gloves were dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad