GDT: 9/21-Preseason Game 4 - Bergeron's Return - Bruins @ Red Wings -7pm- Broadcast TBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
WhataboutJohnson?? hasn't he outperformed Spooner?

he scored a couple goals but that doesn't necessarily mean he outperformed him.

Other than those goals, Johnson has been more or less average. Spooner brings speed and play-making ability which will be much needed on the power play.

It seems like it will definitely be X - Kelly - Soderberg at this point. That X will either be Smith or Spooner. That's my guess anyway.

I would say that the 13th forward spot is a competition between Johnson and Caron however. With Johnson winning that battle.

theswede2013

Feb 26, 2013
I love reading these posts. Absolutely hilarious, I'm in tears laughing about yeti sitings scoring goals not on tv even radio goes to commercial lmao! He assisted himself on the goal oh my too funny. You all are awesome.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Other than those goals, Johnson has been more or less average. Spooner brings speed and play-making ability which will be much needed on the power play.

It seems like it will definitely be X - Kelly - Soderberg at this point. That X will either be Smith or Spooner. That's my guess anyway.

I would say that the 13th forward spot is a competition between Johnson and Caron however. With Johnson winning that battle.

Johnson is a pretty proven player at this point. A couple of goals in preseason shouldn't change anyone's view of him. He will be a fine 13th or 14th forward, who will compete at both ends of the ice, but make no mistake if he were to play on the 3rd line he would be by far the worst offensive player on that line. His offensive skills are basically just a notch above Shawn Thornton level

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
My sympathies to Rocket Dan! This must be a truly depressing evening for you!

It's not man. You and GD think i have some personal hate towards the guy. I don't.

I'm glad as heck he scored and is showing that he does belong in the lineup. That its not a free pass.

He played a strong game tonight and hope he keeps it up.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto

This is really getting interesting. I know what you're saying, but one could argue that producing results (i.e. goals) IS outperforming. Johnson has scored one beauty dangle and one that showed great drive and tenacity to follow up on his own rebound.

Is it really down to Smith and Spooner for that 3rd line spot, or is Johnson in there too?

Great to see Soderberg scoring and Chad getting the redemption. I like the way this squad is shaping up. The first 10 games with the full roster are gonna be really interesting.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
This is really getting interesting. I know what you're saying, but one could argue that producing results (i.e. goals) IS outperforming. Johnson has scored one beauty dangle and one that showed great drive and tenacity to follow up on his own rebound.

Is it really down to Smith and Spooner for that 3rd line spot, or is Johnson in there too?

Great to see Soderberg scoring and Chad getting the redemption. I like the way this squad is shaping up. The first 10 games with the full roster are gonna be really interesting.

Against the Habs on Trotman`s bomb, who was in front of the net doing screening the goalie?? Yep, Johnson, another example to add to yours if I may about doing things CJ loves to see...who knows what`ll happen but it "appears" as though he`s helping Chia do what he likes, and that`s create competition

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
It's not man. You and GD think i have some personal hate towards the guy. I don't.

I'm glad as heck he scored and is showing that he does belong in the lineup. That its not a free pass.

He played a strong game tonight and hope he keeps it up.

Never thought it was personal hate for the guy. For whatever reason, you just don't see the same things that I see when watching certain players, Soderberg being one. We all do that with certain guys.

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA
Glad to see Chad Johnson get the shutout. Without video, it's really impossible to judge, but it sounded like he played well and made some good saves. Of course he had a much stronger defensive team in front of him than Malcolm did and the B's were motivated to play hard after the loss in Boston. Detroit iced more of their prospects last night as well. Maybe that's a thing. Let the rookies/prospects play in the home barn to get a feel for the ice, the boards, etc.

I saw on Twitter that Yeti said he was more relaxed playing on the wing and could focus on going to the net. Said that's where he scored a lot of goals in Sweden.

I think we need a Yeti emoticon. We have a potato and a dancing monkey. How 'bout it?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Easy...Kelly-Spooner-Soderberg

Do It.....Do It

I really think that people need to relax on the whole Spooner thing. The only way I thought he would be making the team out of camp was if Campbell (or Bergy) wasn't ready to play (because of his position). Everybody is talking about putting him with Kelly and Soderberg, who are both C/LW's, when Spoons has previously said he was not comfortable on the Wing, never mind the off wing. I don't see CJ putting Spooner at C and then making one of the other guys play their off wing, which they have never done.

Spooner has looked good, but so have a couple other guys that are natural wings. Despite the rantings of some, Spooner is only 21, and another year in the AHL playing top minutes is only going to make him a better player when he does come up.

Patience.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I really think that people need to relax on the whole Spooner thing. The only way I thought he would be making the team out of camp was if Campbell (or Bergy) wasn't ready to play (because of his position). Everybody is talking about putting him with Kelly and Soderberg, who are both C/LW's, when Spoons has previously said he was not comfortable on the Wing, never mind the off wing. I don't see CJ putting Spooner at C and then making one of the other guys play their off wing, which they have never done.

Spooner has looked good, but so have a couple other guys that are natural wings. Despite the rantings of some, Spooner is only 21, and another year in the AHL playing top minutes is only going to make him a better player when he does come up.

Patience.

Or we'll all become patients at the asylum

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Bergeron has played 1 game because of the injury, so check in a bit later.

I would also point out that with the forward lines the Bruins iced the Wings pretty much knew which line to focus the defense on-when this Bs put both Krejci and Bergeron on the ice teams won't have that easy a game plan.

nycbruins*

Spooner is a great 1st call-up. Johnson & Caron as spot-fillers. Reilly gets 1st crack at top 9 playing time.
Knight, Koko, Camara, Fraser all cook in the oven a little longer.

Could be worse, for sure.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Caron was on the PP and will get a huge leash at this point because PC isn't going to just send him down and lose him for nothing, he'll keep him up here as long as possible if for nothing else than to showcase him for a trade

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Caron was on the PP and will get a huge leash at this point because PC isn't going to just send him down and lose him for nothing, he'll keep him up here as long as possible if for nothing else than to showcase him for a trade

I agree that it is unlikely or at least would take a lot for Chiarelli to Waive Caron.

I do think it is quite possible that he is dealt. There is no doubt in my mind that he could help some lesser teams out there

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
I do think it is quite possible that he is dealt. There is no doubt in my mind that he could help some lesser teams out there

Given what we've seen from some of the newer rooks out of this camp, I believe that ultimately this will be his fate. He will likely play as an NHL regular someday, just not with the Bruins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad