Prospect Info: #88 Keith Petruzzelli - signs with marlies

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
Malik is incorrect here, Since Keith Petruzzelli is going back to Quinnipiac for his 5th year, Detroit still holds onto his rights until August 15th 2022. So he's not a UFA this year and he can't sign anywhere for another year unless Yzerman relinquished his rights after their season is over.
no he's reporting

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
It's still seems really strange that they didn't sign him considering we need goaltending prospects, he had a great year and seemed to have progressed nicely since being drafted (statistically anyway).

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
It's still seems really strange that they didn't sign him considering we need goaltending prospects, he had a great year and seemed to have progressed nicely since being drafted (statistically anyway).

I felt this way to at first, but when 32 teams pass on him and he has to sign an AHL contract, there is probably something we are not aware of.

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
Leafs depth chart.jpg
lol
Leafs depth chart.jpg

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Saw on Reddit that Bob Duff reported Yzerman didn't offer him a contract.
Stop being salty.

I think this is a likely possibility, and would be a sign of Steve having bigger plans than Petruzzelli. I think the trade for Nedeljkovic and drafting Cossa (or Wallstedt) depending on how the draft played out was something that must have been in the works for a while. Not that I am happy to see any prospect walk away from the organization for free, but realistically Petruzzelli would be 3rd in the organizational ranks at this point. Seems unlikely that he ever catches Ned, and just the organizational commitment to Cossa would have him ahead as well.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I think this is a likely possibility, and would be a sign of Steve having bigger plans than Petruzzelli. I think the trade for Nedeljkovic and drafting Cossa (or Wallstedt) depending on how the draft played out was something that must have been in the works for a while. Not that I am happy to see any prospect walk away from the organization for free, but realistically Petruzzelli would be 3rd in the organizational ranks at this point. Seems unlikely that he ever catches Ned, and just the organizational commitment to Cossa would have him ahead as well.

I find it hard to believe the Wings weren't interested in signing him. They had nothing to lose offering him an AHL contract and seeing what they have. Cossa is a great prospect but he's not a guarantee. Ned could falter as well. Having a stocked cupboard and lot of potential options is not a bad thing.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I find it hard to believe the Wings weren't interested in signing him. They had nothing to lose offering him an AHL contract and seeing what they have. Cossa is a great prospect but he's not a guarantee. Ned could falter as well. Having a stocked cupboard and lot of potential options is not a bad thing.

I think there is something up with him personality wise or away from the rink. His play, pedigree and size warranted an NHL contract (a pretty low bar in my opinion) yet all 32 NHL teams passed on him. If he ends up in St John's all year you will know something was off.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

I dont think anyone reported that they didnt offer him an AHL deal, my impression was that he wasnt offered an ELC.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Wouldn’t trust a goalie with as bad of a cross eye like him tbh. Can’t imagine it’s advantageous
Apparently all 32 GMs feel the same way.

Looking at photos on the web, it doesn't look like he's cross-eyed in the typical sense (stramibus), but that he's got limited outward movement with both eyes. His eyes are aligned when looking straight. It could limit or distort peripheral vision.

I'm just guessing though....

636339120730480643-GTY-800569256.jpg

Petro-1024x683.jpg

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
Never a great idea to just lose assets for nothing. Oh well I guess. Something soured in the relationship.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Wish him the best kind of moved on from thinking about him a while ago and previous to that it wasn't much

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Clearly there's something that Yzerman and the 31 other NHL GM's knew or saw in Petruzelli that made them believe he wasn't worth offering a 2 year NHL ELC. I'd bet dollars to donuts it has something to do with all the stuff I've pointed to in this thread at least a couple times where Horcoff last spring talked about KP's maturity level and touched on how he was just "starting" (in his D+3) to do the things necessary to make it as a pro.

He also never had a season with Quinnipiac as good as the guy he replaced as starter (Andrew Shortridge - 1.51GAA/.940SV% in his Jr and final year), who signed with the Sharks and got absolutely lit up at the AHL level.

Looking at the Leafs depth chart in goal, it looks like KP will be battling for a regular spot with the ECHL's Newfoundland Growlers, a far cry from the AHL starting job or even NHL back up job that some Red Wings fans hilariously thought he was ready to take on now or compete for.

As far as the draft pick goes, Holland and co. gambled a pick that already had a low chance of developing an impact player at the NHL level on a 6'5" goalie that would have a few years to develop. I guess Yzerman and co. decided it wasn't to be. Not the first time and definitely won't be the last. And even if they had signed him, there's still no guarantee he'd end up anything more than a Jared Coreau if he even hits that....

As far as getting nothing for the asset.... Maybe it's not too late. Yzerman might be able to give Dubas a call and try to get some discount swag from the Marlies team store clearance section.

Reactions: Gniwder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad