Prospect Info: #88 Keith Petruzzelli - signs with marlies

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
This whole thing is kind of a head scratcher.

I would assume that if KP is at a Bruins development camp on an invite basis, it's because his ties to the Red Wings have been officially severed or since they know there's interest to sign him before the deadline in 5 days, they gave him and/or the Bruins permission to talk.

Is this still a possibility?

That he takes 5 years at college and we can sign him next year?

The one thing that sticks out to me about the whole 5th year thing in the CBA is that it says the onus is on the player to provide the proof that they don't have enough to credits or whatever to graduate with their "class":

Furthermore, a Player shall be deemed to be scheduled to graduate from college if, at the conclusion of his fourth year of college he would have been within five percent (5%) of the minimum number of credits required to graduate, provided, such determination shall be made assuming that in such fourth year of college Player earned at least the number of credits equal to the average number of credits for which he had been enrolled during his first three years of college. It shall be the Player's responsibility to promptly provide evidence (i.e., official school transcripts and requirements) that he was or was not scheduled to graduate. Absent evidence to the contrary, NHL Central Registry shall treat a Player as if he was scheduled to graduate or remained a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class. Furthermore, a Player who is removed from his Club's Reserve List as a result of the operation of the above provisions shall be a draft-related Unrestricted Free Agent effective upon such removal.

If I'm reading that correctly, it would seem that if Petruzelli wants to stay in college for a 5th year AND remain under the rights of the Red Wings, he has to be the one to show that he wasn't scheduled to graduate in 4 years. If he doesn't, the NHL just assumes he was to graduate in 4 years and allows his draft rights to expire.

Assuming that Petruzelli truly is going back for a 5th year and is allowing his ties to the Red Wings org. to sever, the benefit would be that he can sign with an NHL team as soon as Quinnipiac's season is done in Spring rather than have to wait till August.

Im guessing the Pickard signing was the backup plan.

I would bet Pickard or another AHL vet goalie was always in the cards since Yzerman seems pretty keen on making sure GR is competitive.

Had Petruzelli hypothetically signed, he probably starts with the #2 job behind Pickard in GR and then they either tab Brattstrom to be in the mix for Toledo or assign him to Europe for another year.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Reactions: kliq

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Does anyone know why the expiry on his rights jumped from Aug 15th, 2021 to Aug 15th, 2022? Capfriendly error?
I believe because of Covid and that many players did not play a full season or at all last year, an extra year was added if the player so chooses. Read it somewhere I think

Reactions: kliq and Henkka

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
It’s Keith Petruzelli
street hockey.jpg

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
I sort of assumed this was common knowledge by now, but, in case you missed it, former Red Wings prospect Keith Petruzzelli has chosen to play an extra season for the ECAC's Quinnipiac Bobcats, foregoing his eligibility to sign a contract with Detroit. As such, Petruzzelli will be a free agent on August 15th, and he attended the Boston Bruins' prospect development camp last week-George Malik

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
He did not wanted to sign with the Red Wings, and we just got 2 young and very promising goaltenders , what else

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I sort of assumed this was common knowledge by now, but, in case you missed it, former Red Wings prospect Keith Petruzzelli has chosen to play an extra season for the ECAC's Quinnipiac Bobcats, foregoing his eligibility to sign a contract with Detroit. As such, Petruzzelli will be a free agent on August 15th, and he attended the Boston Bruins' prospect development camp last week-George Malik

I thought this as well, I thought as of today he could sign with the Bruins. However it not looks like this is not possible if his rights remain with the Wings for another year. I guess the only exception to this now is if the Wings trade his rights to the Bruins, though I dont see why the Bruins would do that considering they could just wait a year.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Maybe it's the 5th year in college.

It was already raised up in discussions.

I must have missed that, I had no idea he was doing a 5th year until today. I had it noted that as of today we were loosing the rights of Holway, Kotkansalo, and Petruzzelli and was surprised to see him extended another year.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Malik is incorrect here, Since Keith Petruzzelli is going back to Quinnipiac for his 5th year, Detroit still holds onto his rights until August 15th 2022. So he's not a UFA this year and he can't sign anywhere for another year unless Yzerman relinquished his rights after their season is over.

Reactions: kliq

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
Malik is incorrect here, Since Keith Petruzzelli is going back to Quinnipiac for his 5th year, Detroit still holds onto his rights until August 15th 2022. So he's not a UFA this year and he can't sign anywhere for another year unless Yzerman relinquished his rights after their season is over.[/QUOTE

then why would he attend the Bruins development camp?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
then why would he attend the Bruins development camp?
He has the right to attend their development camp, doesn't mean they can sign him. As college players can't be signed to ELCs until their seasons are over sometime next spring. He can't have it both ways. If he elects the 5th year he remains our property until August 15th 2022 according to cap friendly if he wants to become a UFA now then he has to skip his 5th year. that's how it works.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Malik is incorrect here, Since Keith Petruzzelli is going back to Quinnipiac for his 5th year, Detroit still holds onto his rights until August 15th 2022. So he's not a UFA this year and he can't sign anywhere for another year unless Yzerman relinquished his rights after their season is over.

If he's doing the 5th year I would assume it's because there isn't much interest from other teams around the league, or that he's hitching his career to the wrong wagon by saying that he only wants to be a Bruin. Boston has Vladar and Swayman and it would be pretty tough for Petruzzelli to steal a job from one of them.

I'm sure the Oilers would absolutely love to sign him without much thought. Vancouver is another team that needs goaltending depth in their prospect pool. Carolina, LA and Arizona as well.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I'm still going with what the CBA seems to interpret, which is:

-If Petruzelli isn't considered as having "graduated with his class" and returns to play for a 5th year... In order for the Wings to retain his rights for that 5th year, Petruzelli has to provide the proof to the Wings and/or the league that he hasn't met the requirements. If he does not provide this proof, the league will consider him a graduate of his class (after 4 years?) and allow his exclusive signing rights to expire on the 8/15 after the 4th year of college.

This would have no bearing on his ability to return to play for Quinnipiac for a 5th year. Just means he no longer has attachment to an NHL club. Obviously, if he changes his mind and wishes to sign an NHL contract now, he can, but would have to move to the pro level and forego that 5th year. Otherwise, if he plays his 5th year at Quinnipiac free of NHL rights, he can sign with an NHL club as soon as Quinnipiac's season is done this spring (ala DeKeyser, Hirose, etc. etc.).

I suppose that some of the following are possible regarding KP:

-He and/or the Red Wings had no intention of signing (for KP possibly from the beginning, for Wings possibly at some point during his college tenure - see below about what Horcoff had to say a couple years back)

-KP wants to be in school to finish his civil engineering degree

-KP feels like he has unfinished business with Quinnipiac as far as hockey is concerned - IE didn't take over the starting job as early as expected, first year as starter got ended early due to the pandemic, this past season his team had a couple of heartbreaking losses in tournaments - and a 5th year and 3rd as starter gives him an another shot

-Maybe KP wants another shot to get to the Frozen Four, since the 2022 tournament has a regional in his home state of Mass., with the actual Frozen Four being at TD Garden in Boston

-KP could be betting on himself that another big year for Quinnipiac will get him more NHL interest, affording him more potential opportunities, including singing his required 2-year ELC in the spring, which would burn the first year of the ELC for the rest of 21-22 and get him closer to his potential bridge years and Group VI UFA status.

-Perhaps KP is from a affluent background and isn't worried about missing out on bonuses and an AHL salary that he's likely going get when he eventually signs his NHL ELC anyway.

-Whether there's a clear opportunity or not, KP has his heart set on singing an NHL contract with the team that he likely grew up supporting, the Boston Bruins, and this whole 5th year thing possibly allowing him to become a free agent allows that to happen.

-Perhaps the Wings made a decision long ago that they weren't going to offer KP a contract. And Yzerman's kind of confused responses to questions about him were just keep his cards close to the vest in case a team wanted to trade for KP's rights and/or to not show even the slightest bit of they hand eventually played at the draft in regards to future goaltending.

Maybe the Wings allowed KP and/or his agent, if he has one, to talk to other teams to gauge interest and possibly work out a trade for a late pick, but they found little interest, or weren't satisfied with the interested teams and/or opportunities that were presented (IE bonuses/salary, no guarantee he won't end up in the ECHL, etc.).

"Instead of signing him to an entry level pact, the Wings opted to walk way from Petruzzelli’s NHL rights."

Kid must have been a little douche bag or something

Not saying it correlates in any way, but that does remind me of the article from the Wings site from May of last year where Horcoff almost seems to insinuate that Petruzzelli was, after 3 years, finally starting to move in the right direction: By The Numbers Prospects: Keith Petruzzelli

In the fall of 2017, Petruzzelli began his collegiate career at Quinnipiac with high expectations that he would be in the thick of the competition to win the starting job as the Bobcats No. 1 goalie.

However, the task of balancing academics and athletics proved to be difficult for Petruzzelli, who did not excel on the ice or in the classroom.

He persevered, but there was concern among officials at Quinnipiac and Detroit's brass that Petruzzelli might lack the discipline to reach his unlimited potential.

The Massachusetts native followed up his disappointing freshman season with a much better sophomore campaign, but he was still the Bobcats' backup goalie, which put his upcoming junior season under intense scrutiny.

Finally securing the starting job in net, Petruzzelli put together a breakout season, establishing many individual career highs and becoming one of college hockey's leading goaltenders.

For his efforts, he received the honor of being named Quinnipiac's Most Valuable Player.

Petruzzelli's play also propelled him back into the mix of perhaps someday becoming the Red Wings' netminder of the future.

"Keith had a really good bounce-back year this year, good for him. I think for Keith, when we drafted him, we had a really physically and mentally immature player. He had no idea what it took to be a pro, he had no idea what eating habits, workout habits, sleeping habits (he needed). There was a lot for him to work on and to his credit, he's starting to figure that out and he's starting to put the time in and he's starting to mature and he's starting to do the necessary things it takes to become a solid goaltender. He's getting results because of it. Kudos to him for being able to do that. Obviously this is just the start, there's a long ways for him to go but he's moving in the right direction." - Shawn Horcoff, Red Wings director of player development and assistant director of player personnel

To me, the Horcoff bit almost seems to have a tone like "finally he decided to listen to us", and the "good for him" and "kudos to him" almost seems to convey backhanded praise or even Horcoff addressing him like he's no longer in their plans or something. But that's just me.

And the bit in the article about KP "propelling back into the mix" makes it sound like the Wings had at some point given up on him.

Does anyone know why the expiry on his rights jumped from Aug 15th, 2021 to Aug 15th, 2022? Capfriendly error? Or did something happen where his rights were extended?

Petruzzelli, Keith22GDET2017388Aug 15, 2022
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Detroit Red Wings Reserve List Players - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I wonder if CapFriendly is keeping him on the list because under the CBA it is possible for his rights to remain with the Wings for that 5th year under certain circumstances, and since their hasn't really been any sort of official statement about it, they figure it'll be easier and less time consuming to just drop him from it when they know for sure, instead of dropping him from it now purely based on speculation and then have to go and put him back on if it turns out his rights still belong to the Wings.

But all that said, I would think if the Wings were still going to have his rights for one more season and thought there might even be a tiny shred of possibility he could fit somewhere in the organization after next season (considering Cossa likely has 2 more years in junior, Larsson/Brattstrom/Fulcher are all RFA's that could go unqualified, Bednar and Gylander aren't close, Eliasson is going to need a huge year to get signed and who the hell knows if they even remember they still have Joren Van Pottelbergh's rights (if they do actually still have his rights)), they wouldn't be letting him attend, let alone get invited to, another NHL clubs development camp.

My money would be on the Wings rights to him expiring yesterday after one or both parties hard-lined on not wanting to sign and Petruzzelli decided not to prove to the NHL that wasn't graduated so he could cut ties. With it being announced that Petruzzelli was going for a 5th year and with the fate of his NHL rights in his hands, he probably had no value in a trade. Thus, the Wings probably just gave him permission to talk to other teams about latching onto a development camp earlier than when the rights expired.

Anybody got Ansar Khan's Venmo? At this point I'll send him $50 to make sure he gets the answer from someone in the Wings organization. I'm not going to consider Art because he's annoying, and HSJ can't even remember the NHL roster size is 23 men even when it's been at that limit during her entire 20+ year tenure of being absolutely useless as a Red Wings writer.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
College players can extend because of Covid but maybe it doesn't matter with Petro

What does an extra year of eligibility mean?
Traditionally, a student-athlete has 5 years to play 4 years of their sport. An extra year means a current college student-athlete would have 6 years to play their 4 years. This means, NCAA student-athletes can compete in all or a portion of the 2020-21 season, but it won’t be counted against their years of eligibility depending on their division level specific eligibility rules.

https://www.ncsasports.org/coronavirus-sports/ncaa-eligibility-coronavirus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad