88 days of Eric Lindros

GarretJoseph*

I really admire your appreciation for the player, and I certainly respect how good Lindros was, but for the love of god I beg of you. DO NOT DO THIS FOR 88 DAYS! So help me god I will go back in time and kill his parents before he he was born if this continues.

What a waste of a comment. Just stop reading the thread. Christ.

Keep up the good work. That video was awesome. Never saw that before. Even at 18 he was having his way on the ice.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
1/88
Eric Lindros is dating Kiera Knightley, who is more famous for her role in Pirates of the Carribean trilogy. This is not his first Hollywood girlfriend, he's famously known for dating Kate Hudson, Aisha Tyler and snowboarder Kristi Leskinen:

I'm sure I'm the only person who's a hardcore enough skier to care about this, but Leskinen is a skier, not a snowboarder. :p:

As for Lindros, it's interesting to refer back to the recent discussion here about Scott Niedermayer and how the perception of a player's career is so different based on whether he has elite seasons at the beginning of his career or the end.

Niedermayer was an underachiever who did almost nothing HHOF-worthy before his 30th birthday. Then he turns in 3 elite seasons, retires, and has a reputation as one of the greats of the sport. Lindros turns in 7 elite, dominant seasons at the start of his career, then 5 mediocre seasons after his injury, and he's considered an an all-time disappointment who seemingly has little chance at the HHOF.

For my money, Lindros was clearly a top-5 player in the league for 5 or so seasons in the mid-1990s, and for any other player that has generally been good enough to ensure HHOF induction. Lindros' career tops that of Neely or Lafontaine IMO.

Raoul Duke*

I'm a few days behind... so here to catch up.

3/88

00022061.jpg

In 1998, Eric Lindros is announced to be the 3rd ever cover athlete for the EA NHL series. The EA curse follows within a year.

NHL 97 John Vanbiesbrouck - after the prime year of his career his game falls apart, and never recovers.
NHL 98 Peter Forsberg - the plague of injuries that have haunted Forsberg's career begin
NHL 99 Eric Lindros - in the playoff Lindros is elbowed in the face by Scott Stevens; almost dies in his hotel room with a collapsed lung in a previous incident
NHL 2000 Chris Pronger - is hit by a puck in the chest during a game, his heart briefly stops while collapsing on the ice
NHL 2001 Owen Nolan - the string of back injuries begin
NHL 2002 Mario Lemieux - like the guy didn't have enough bad luck. The EA curse skips him
NHL 2003 Jarome Iginla - after hitting his stride with 50 goals, Iginla's play falls off for 2 years.
NHL 2004 Dany Heatley - car accident kills his teammate. Is stripped off the cover soon after, replaced by Joe Sakic.
NHL 2005 Markus Naslund - linemate Bertuzzi breaks Steve Moore's neck. Bertuzzi suspended, his career plummets. Naslund has never been the same scorer without him.
NHL 2006 Vincent Lecavalier - breaks the curse
NHL 2007 Alexander Ovechkin - keeps the no curse alive
NHL 2008 Eric Staal - so far, so good.

Raoul Duke*

4/88

October 11, 2005

Tied with Bobby Clarke in career points in NHL history, the scene was set as the Philadelphia Flyers rolled into Toronto for a game vs. Lindros' new team the Toronto Maple Leafs.
"What time is the game again?" Lindros coyly answered reporters on Monday before disappearing into the Maple Leafs dressing room.
Said Clarke: "Once Lindros was traded to the Rangers, he no longer was in the Flyers thoughts."
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2005/10/11/leafs-flyers051011.html

Never one for post goal antics, with the Leafs up by only one and the clock ticking down in the 3rd, Lindros walks off the boards and buries a goal to put the Leafs up by 2, and the game away. Not charecteristic of him after a goal, Lindros does a cocky walk and points up to the press box where Clarke is sitting, letting Clarke know he just left him behind in points, and the game. Lindros has the last laugh.

Raoul Duke*

5/88

Eric Lindros pisses off Quebec City during the 1991 Canada Cup. Team Canada heads to Quebec City, and the national news is over it:

I'm going back to Oshawa
The headlines on the front page of the Quebec newspapers.
"If someone can turn down what appears to be a couple million dollars a year to return to Oshawa, he's got something I don't. God Bless him." - Prime Minister Brian Mulroney

Video:
http://archives.cbc.ca/IDCC-1-41-1639-11360/sports/nhlexodus/

StellaArtois881199

Bring Back #94
Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Thanks for doing this RD.

Lindros is my 2nd all-time fav player after Mess.

I want to get his Rangers, Leafs, and Stars Jerseys once I can afford to...

Would loved to have seen in Oil Silks.....

Keep it up.

Raoul Duke*

6/88

Eric Lindros Wins the Hart Trophy and Lester B. Pearson Award as the NHL's MVP

image31.gif

In the shortened 1994-95 season, Eric was named team captain and led the Flyers to an Atlantic Division title and their first playoff berth in six years. Eric co-led the league with 70 points (Jaromir Jágr won the Art Ross Trophy with more goals) and paced his team with 29 goals, 41 assists, a +27 rating and 144 shots on net. On March 21, Eric won NHL Player of the Week honours after becoming the second player in Flyers history to score hat tricks in back-to-back games (March 18 against the Panthers, March 20 against the Flyers). At year's end, he was awarded both the Hart Trophy and Pearson Award. He was also a First Team All-Star and winner of the Bobby Clarke Trophy and The Hockey News' Player of the Year award. In the playoffs, Eric scored 15 points in 12 games. Playing on a line with John LeClair and rookie Mikael Renberg (the Legion of Doom line), he led the team to the Eastern Conference final before losing to the Devils.

Raoul Duke*

7/88

Why Eric Lindros wore the number 88

Growing up Lindros was a friend and teammate on the Toronto St. Michaels Buzzards of Wes McCauley, whose father John was a family friend of the Lindros'. John McCauley (d. June 3, 1989) was a NHL referee, who was forced to retire due to an eye injury in May 1981; he was subsequently given the position of Assistant Director of Officiating. He was named the NHL's Director of Officiating in 1986, and served in that capacity until his death (caused by surgical complications) in 1989.

A close family friend, John McCauley was a voice of reason when the pressure started to get to Eric Lindros as the media started to take notice of his talent. As an NHL referee, McCauley wore the number 8.

When Lindros went to Detroit Compuware, McCauley had just passed away, and in tribute he wore the number 8. When he went to the Oshawa Generals, the number 8 was already taken, so he changed the number to 88. Which in hockey soon became synonymous with the name Eric Lindros.

In 2003, Wes McCauley made his debut as an NHL referee following in his father's footsteps, and also wears 4 in tribute to his father saying "I'll only be half the man he ever was".

711115-m.jpg

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
You're using up his Hart trophy already? I can't wait to see what this thread degenerates into by the end...

Day 85:

"February 3rd, 1998: While at his house in Philadelphia, Eric Lindros accidentally dropped an Oreo cookie on the carpet in his living room. Undaunted, the Big E retrieved the cookie, brushed it off, and quickly ate it before anyone had noticed. A great success by all accounts."

Deleted member 3032

You're using up his Hart trophy already? I can't wait to see what this thread degenerates into by the end...

Day 85:

"February 3rd, 1998: While at his house in Philadelphia, Eric Lindros accidentally dropped an Oreo cookie on the carpet in his living room. Undaunted, the Big E retrieved the cookie, brushed it off, and quickly ate it before anyone had noticed. A great success by all accounts."

:biglaugh: I like Lindros, but still that is good.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Here's my favorite 4 days of Eric Lindros:

May 31, 1997
June 3, 1997
June 5, 1997
June 7, 1997

Nicklas Lidstrom and Larry Murphy shut Lindros down completely as the Red Wings overwhelm the Flyers in a Stanley Cup sweep. Lindros' lone goal in the series comes with 30 seconds left in the final game, and makes no difference.

Raoul Duke*

Don't read it. I make it, you read it. The life is similar isn't it?

Except mine is always better, because Lindros says so.

8/88

Despite being called old and a washed up useless signing to the Maple Leafs, in the team skills competition, Eric Lindros skates the rink in under 13 seconds. Not only shattering all his competition in the Leafs competition, but his speed clocks in at 4th in all time NHL records for speed after Gartner, Bondra, Bure...

Raoul Duke*

10/88

When Eric Lindros first broke into the NHL he listed his favorite song as "Manic Depression" by Jimi Hendrix.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
10/88

When Eric Lindros first broke into the NHL he listed his favorite song as "Manic Depression" by Jimi Hendrix.

Wow...this list is degenerating very quickly.

This is actually worse than the oreo scenario previously presented.

With crap like this its no wonder you could fill up 365 days.

Raoul Duke*

11/88

As a rookie, Eric Lindros is the first player to ever get a segment all of himself on a Don Cherry Rock em Sock em Tape.

Raoul Duke*

12/365

In the 1996 World Cup, Darius Kasparitis was taking liberites on every Canadian player. Until he thought he was tough meeting team Canada, and Lindros 2 punched him into the ice.

Raoul Duke*

13/365

Lindros dominates the NY Rangers in the playoffs by himself:

Raoul Duke*

What ESPN calls the hardest hit in NHL History
14/365

"I'm going to go in for some tests, get some brain tests and see where it goes from there" - Andreas Dackall

Raoul Duke*

15/365

Eric Lindros is the only player in NHL history to have the stick and puck he scored his first goal in the NHL on display in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad