#87 Sidney Crosby Milestone Thread - History will be made (1000th assist)

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
k8tbjx1.png

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Fact he's doing this at 36 is so inspirational.

I hope he doesn't fall off a cliff over the next couple years, he could stay this good for a 3/4 years yet if age doesn't catch up.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Fact he's doing this at 36 is so inspirational.

I hope he doesn't fall off a cliff over the next couple years, he could stay this good for a 3/4 years yet if age doesn't catch up.
Imagine if he wasn't hurt for some of his prime? He would already be near Mario Lemieux. and probably finish his career 2nd or 3rd all time.

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
As a hockey fan, I can honestly say Sydney Crosby has achieved what he was supposed to. Yes he had injuries, but over all he has lived up to the expecations. Cups, awards, Olympics, a complete player. He has alittle mystery around him of what could have been. But he's done more than enough. Stark contrast from Lindros. Now it's just about moving up the charts for as long as he wants. I wish Lindros could say the same.

Reactions: salwan and wetcoast

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
What a ridiculous record. And truthfully one that may only be touched by McDavid for the foreseeable future.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Man got crushed with bad luck of having seasons of 53, 41, 22, 36, and 41 games over the course of his peak productivity years. Makes the effort to get to where he is at now doubly impressive IMO - he doesn’t even need the unparalleled “what if” for his claim at the top-5 all-time, the empirical evidence speaks for itself.
Yeah that's the wild part. All the unlucky injuries during the peak years. Yet still accomplished what he has, even with many of his seasons during lower scoring averages.

Reactions: sanscosm

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
The biggest surprise to me about Crosby has been his game away from the his "game." I've never seen a superstar play such a grinding game -- Forsberg comes closest I think but Sid was a better finisher and probably a better passer while Petr had a bit more size and was a bit more destructive in his checks.

What's amazing about Crosby is that anything that hard work can improve on as a hockey player, he now excels at. Faceoffs? Check. Defense? Check. Play away from the puck? Check.

Also, he has aged his game like fine wine. This is so easy to see on the Penguins where you have Malkin and Letang trying to make plays like they are 25 and costing the Penguins night in and night out. Malkin trying to dipsy doddle throughout the neutral zone and Letang trying to make a high cross zone risky pass ---- then you have the Captain, making a simple play to a streaking guy, and getting open himself to make a score. The difference says all you want about Crosby. No ego. He simply cannot take the straight line approach in the NHL anymore - he knows this and doesn't care - egoless he simply makes the right play.

Crosby could play in the NHL for the next decade if he wants to, Trots like, especially if the Penguins tool up and become a contender again.

Last edited:

May 17, 2009
Maine
This is a rather obscure one but I believe he is now 5th all-time in points collected without having ever finished an NHL game (not a season) at less than a PPG for his career. He stepped into the league producing on literally day one.

EDIT: 4th, not 5th (Gretzky, Yzerman, Mario)

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
I bet Paul BissJokenette still wants to trade him because he knew him so well, despite spending the bulk of his time in the organization in Wheeling and played a whopping 13 games in Pittsburgh, and acts like he was the goddamn Cal Ripken Jr. of the Pens.

• Wow
Reactions: sanscosm

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
We will see how his game ages when his speed diminishes
Let's be real, it would take scoring dropping considerably or an extremely debilitating injury for him to drop below ppg even in his 30's. His production could be cut in half and he would still be close to ppg.

Amazing to see Sid still playing at a high level this late into his career after everything he went through. The guy had an injury to his vertebrae that the Pens medical staff completely whiffed on and still managed to come back and play at a high level for another decade + afterwards. I don't see any reason why he can't maintain his current level for at least another 2-3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad