GDT: #83?| Draft lottery results: Flyers pick seventh; Edmonton picks first

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Button's list looks pretty sensible to me.

Barzal at 14 has some people's heads spinning, but it is definitely a possibility. It depends on the wants and needs of the #3-13 teams. There are rational reasons for each pick there. Connor is a better goal scorer than Barzal, Meier is a moose who can score, some guys are DMen, etc.

I am on record saying that I think Crouse is the perfect fit for the Flyers. He gives them exactly what Hexy alludes to when he talks about the draft. That said I see and understand the love for other guys on the board. I totally get the Werenski, Provorov desired choices, and I understand those who think Rantanen or Zacha would be better, though I disagree, and I really understand the Barzal talk as the Flyers need more scoring from the #2C spot.

What I think will be interesting, and telling is if Rantanen and Crouse are both there when the Flyers pick. Given the Niitymaki connection, the Flyers know more about Rantanen than other team in the league. If he is available and the Flyers pick someone else, say Crouse or Zacha whose skillsets are somewhat comparable to Rantanen's, that tells me that some of us have over rated him some. On the other hand if they choose Rantanen, that tells us that he was the better player in their eyes. Without Rantanen, Crouse and Zacha all being available, we will not know which of the 3 the Flyers favorted more.

If they go DMan, that says something else about the players available, considering the 4 we have coming, and taht two of them look to be top pairing or at least top 3 guys and a third is a top 4 guy. To choose another Dman when we have that much talent on D coming says that the Dmen were far superior to the forwards available. Given the Flyers first round history especially since Giroux, I am drinking whatever coolaid they feed us.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I don't know if this was pointed out, but going into the last ball, the Flyers had a chance of winning. They had the first 3 balls drawn, but didn't win the last one.

After the third ball was drawn, the Flyers had no chance.

The order of the balls was 5 - 14 - 6 -1. The Flyers didn't have a combination of 5 - 14 -6.

Last edited:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
yes its good that mcdavid is out west, but we all know what is going to happen.

We make the finals, but then run up against a Dynasty out in edmonton, funny how history repeats itself.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Button's list looks pretty sensible to me.

Barzal at 14 has some people's heads spinning, but it is definitely a possibility. It depends on the wants and needs of the #3-13 teams. There are rational reasons for each pick there. Connor is a better goal scorer than Barzal, Meier is a moose who can score, some guys are DMen, etc.

I am on record saying that I think Crouse is the perfect fit for the Flyers. He gives them exactly what Hexy alludes to when he talks about the draft. That said I see and understand the love for other guys on the board. I totally get the Werenski, Provorov desired choices, and I understand those who think Rantanen or Zacha would be better, though I disagree, and I really understand the Barzal talk as the Flyers need more scoring from the #2C spot.

What I think will be interesting, and telling is if Rantanen and Crouse are both there when the Flyers pick. Given the Niitymaki connection, the Flyers know more about Rantanen than other team in the league. If he is available and the Flyers pick someone else, say Crouse or Zacha whose skillsets are somewhat comparable to Rantanen's, that tells me that some of us have over rated him some. On the other hand if they choose Rantanen, that tells us that he was the better player in their eyes. Without Rantanen, Crouse and Zacha all being available, we will not know which of the 3 the Flyers favorted more.

If they go DMan, that says something else about the players available, considering the 4 we have coming, and taht two of them look to be top pairing or at least top 3 guys and a third is a top 4 guy. To choose another Dman when we have that much talent on D coming says that the Dmen were far superior to the forwards available. Given the Flyers first round history especially since Giroux, I am drinking whatever coolaid they feed us.

Cheers to that, and we're going to get two shots of First Round CoolAid too!

OurSaviorGhostBear

Nov 2, 2014
Does anyone have a stream for the Canada game tonight. It is not on hockey streams and I really would like to watch how some of the guys are playing.

Fulton44*

Barzal is SERIOUSLY overrated by a lot of people on this board. They're taking Crouse, Rantanen, or Zacha.

ORYX

Mar 2, 2008
I don't particularly like Barzal or Zacha.

As i said in the other thread, Zacha isnt noticeable on the ice unless he's doing something with the puck. Reminds me alot of a lesser skilled Phil Kessel.

From all I have read and heard about Barzal, he has some uncertainty about him still. I think drafting him at 7 would be a reach.

I've never seen Rantanen, but by all accounts he is a great player. Can anyone shed some info about him, maybe an article or something?

I've seen Crouse a number of times this season as well, great player, but not sure I see the offensive upside in him that some do. I love how physical he plays, and for a big boy, he keeps with the play, and doesnt drag down skilled linemates.

My preference is for a big, strong, skilled winger, a potential top pair d-man, and then a center, if i had to pick.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Normally, I get a little grumpy about who they pick -- I would be okay with a lot of guys.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I just dont want a player because they're almost NHL ready and big. I want highest potential possible instead of wasting a top 10 pick on someone with questionable offense.

ORYX

Mar 2, 2008
I just dont want a player because they're almost NHL ready and big. I want highest potential possible instead of wasting a top 10 pick on someone with questionable offense.

Agreed. I don't want them to draft Crouse at 7 either. I like his game, just not at 7. Same goes for Barzal, I think there are better offensive options available. I don't like Zacha until the late teens.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Agreed. I don't want them to draft Crouse at 7 either. I like his game, just not at 7. Same goes for Barzal, I think there are better offensive options available. I don't like Zacha until the late teens.

There are similar questions about Rantanen as there are about Barzal, neither are much of a goal scorer although they're both smart playmakers.

If they go D then I'd rather Werenski over Provorov I think. Neither are amazing skaters but in the little I've watched him Provorov looked slower and that worries me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad