GDT: #83?| Draft lottery results: Flyers pick seventh; Edmonton picks first

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
The flyers are going to take Rantanen. I said it before and Button seems to think so as well. He just seems like a Flyer pick. Big bodied, highly skilled forward who's good in all areas of the ice. I think Hextall may be drawn to him more due to the fact that there's a chance at him coming over to play in LVP right away.

SchennSational1022*

Button pegged Morin at 11 two months before the 2013 draft and everyone had the same reaction. NO WAYYYZZZ!!! Sure enough, it's like he knew something. He has connections.

http://www2.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=93427

Really hope him having us picking Rantanen is just grasping at straws. I really don't want that guy. Button is awesome though, there is not many people who know more about these prospects than him. ****** GM, but he knows his prospects.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't know if I'd say I'd hate the thought of picking Rantanen or Crouse but neither really excite me much right now.

I like what I've seen of Provorov, Werenski, Barzal, Connor, Zacha, and a few others, but I really feel like those two are being giving favorable ratings mostly because of size..

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Really hope him having us picking Rantanen is just grasping at straws. I really don't want that guy. Button is awesome though, there is not many people who know more about these prospects than him. ****** GM, but he knows his prospects.

Why don't you want Rantanen? Kid has a ton of upside, big body and high hockey IQ.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
The flyers are going to take Rantanen. I said it before and Button seems to think so as well. He just seems like a Flyer pick. Big bodied, highly skilled forward who's good in all areas of the ice. I think Hextall may be drawn to him more due to the fact that there's a chance at him coming over to play in LVP right away.

I dont know where you are getting this Highly skilled forward. I haven't read anything that suggests that.

SchennSational1022*

Why don't you want Rantanen? Kid has a ton of upside, big body and high hockey IQ.

I'm just skeptic of European players in 1st round, I feel like the viewings we get of those players is a much smaller sample size than ones we have in NA. Not to say I'm against Euro players, I wish we had more, but I just feel it's risky taking them not knowing how much we've actually scouted them.

It's not so much about Mikko anyway, I just have a man crush on Barzal. Him slotting in as our next 1C after Giroux is too perfect. I'm not sure he'll be there though. I prefer Meier over Rantanen FWIW.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
If I was Connor McDavid I would seriously consider going the NCAA route if possible. Being picked by Edmonton could seriously damage his future potential earnings if they screw him up as a player (which wouldn't surprise me).

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I'm just skeptic of European players in 1st round, I feel like the viewings we get of those players is a much smaller sample size than ones we have in NA. Not to say I'm against Euro players, I wish we had more, but I just feel it's risky taking them not knowing how much we've actually scouted them.

It's not so much about Mikko anyway, I just have a man crush on Barzal. Him slotting in as our next 1C after Giroux is too perfect. I'm not sure he'll be there though. I prefer Meier over Rantanen FWIW.

I just think Barzal is a bit too much of what we already have. I'd like to see them take a guy like Connor over Barzal to be honest. I'd probably go Crouse, Werenski or Provorov before Barzal as well. I guess it may also just be my preference in types of players. We have an abundance of pass-first players, and have bigger needs than someone to step in when Giroux is passed his prime. Rantanen is also appealing to me for the fact that he may be one of the more NHL ready prospects in the pool.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Let's be honest here; most of us haven't watched these prospects play, and if you have, it's probably only been a handful of them with a handful of viewings. i dont get how people can be so strongly for or against a player that you in all honesty know very little to nothing about.

SchennSational1022*

I just think Barzal is a bit too much of what we already have. I'd like to see them take a guy like Connor over Barzal to be honest. I'd probably go Crouse, Werenski or Provorov before Barzal as well. I guess it may also just be my preference in types of players. We have an abundance of pass-first players, and have bigger needs than someone to step in when Giroux is passed his prime. Rantanen is appealing to be for the fact that he may be one of the more NHL ready prospects in the pool.

The whole "abundance of pass first players" thing is really overblown. This is not taken into account, at all. Hexy is gonna draft the best player, it's easier to become a shooter than it is to see the ice and be a great playmaker.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
The whole "abundance of pass first players" thing is really overblown. This is not taken into account, at all. Hexy is gonna draft the best player, it's easier to become a shooter than it is to see the ice and be a great playmaker.

I didn't say it was taken into account in reality, just that im a bigger fan of goal-scorers than I am playmakers. It would be more exciting to me to see them draft a guy like that than a guy who's skill set is already generally represented on the team. Didn't say it was a logical approach, just where my bias lays.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
If I was Connor McDavid I would seriously consider going the NCAA route if possible. Being picked by Edmonton could seriously damage his future potential earnings if they screw him up as a player (which wouldn't surprise me).

Aside from the fact that it's out of the question for McDavid to play NCAA, he could reenter the draft in two years if he stayed in Erie.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I think y'all sell Crouse short. If he hits, his upside could be Jaimie Benn tier. And he just won an Art Ross.

He'll certainly have two great linemates who compliment his game, and he's a natural left wing who is defensively responsible and a killer on the forecheck. Oh and he's probably ready to step in next year.
That said, I wouldn't mind Provorov or the best sniper available, which is probably Connor

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly
A thought just crossed my mind about the draft itself. How happy is the NHL that the draft is being held in Florida this year, instead of a more traditional hockey market that isn't Edmonton?

Philly got headlines for the booing last year, but imagine the noise being made if the draft was held in Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary or *gasp* Buffalo.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I just want you all to know. We were 1 ball off from winning the lotto today. The 3rd ball selected was a 6, had it been a 10, McDavid would be a Flyer.

Balls were 5 14 6 1

1 5 10 14 PHI was one of our combinations

Ghost Bear

Mar 7, 2015
I just want you all to know. We were 1 ball off from winning the lotto today. The 3rd ball selected was a 6, had it been a 10, McDavid would be a Flyer.

Balls were 5 14 6 1

1 5 10 14 PHI was one of our combinations
And if it had been 1,5,7,14 it had been someone else.
And 1,5,8,14.
And...

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

The freaking GM of his club team is on our payroll as a scout. We have more info on him than any team. Don't act like we'd just be picking his name out of a hat after watching Youtube clips.

Couturier's fall was projected after his poor WJC.

Wrong.

UKFlyers

Dec 28, 2011
Aside from the fact that it's out of the question for McDavid to play NCAA, he could reenter the draft in two years if he stayed in Erie.

The League would surely rather he was playing next year, even if it is with Edmonton, than waste 2 years in the OHL. He clearly didn't look too pleased but then, once the dust settles, I think he might see it as a good challenge - being the driving force behind restoring the Oilers.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I could honestly see Hanifin falling to 7 if the Canes take Crouse at 5. (A poster on the trade board says their fan base is convinced that Crouse will be their pick).

1- EDM - McDavid
2- BUF - Eichel
3- ARI - Strome
4- TOR - Marner
5- CAR - Crouse
6- NJ - Rantanen
7- PHI - Hanifin

... the other scenario I could see is Marner falling to NJ.

1- EDM - McDavid
2- BUF - Eichel
3- ARI - Strome
4- TOR - Hanifin
5- CAR - Crouse
6- NJ - Marner
7- PHI - Rantanen

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
A thought just crossed my mind about the draft itself. How happy is the NHL that the draft is being held in Florida this year, instead of a more traditional hockey market that isn't Edmonton?

Philly got headlines for the booing last year, but imagine the noise being made if the draft was held in Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary or *gasp* Buffalo.

I'm pretty sure they really don't care, Bettman & Co. aren't complaining about getting a trip to Florida in June and getting a round or two of golf in.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
I could honestly see Hanifin falling to 7 if the Canes take Crouse at 5. (A poster on the trade board says their fan base is convinced that Crouse will be their pick).

1- EDM - McDavid
2- BUF - Eichel
3- ARI - Strome
4- TOR - Marner
5- CAR - Crouse
6- NJ - Rantanen
7- PHI - Hanifin

... the other scenario I could see is Marner falling to NJ.

1- EDM - McDavid
2- BUF - Eichel
3- ARI - Strome
4- TOR - Hanifin
5- CAR - Crouse
6- NJ - Marner
7- PHI - Rantanen

giphy.gif

with our luck Marner probably gonna become a +70pts player with NJ

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Eh, I wouldn't be too concerned. Same could have been said about Crosby and the Pens when he was drafted. They were about as big a laughing stock as the Oilers were at the time. If he's the real deal, playing in Edmonton is not going to change that.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

It's kind of weird, a lot of people are convinced that their team wants Crouse, and like no one actually wants him, at least this high.

He's ineligible for college.

It's not like all these guys for the Oilers who were drafted high are all busts. What would the Oilers get if they put Hopkins or Hall on the market? Yakupov a little less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad