GDT: #83?| Draft lottery results: Flyers pick seventh; Edmonton picks first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newest sens fan

My uncle owns Nintendo 64
Feb 13, 2014
Connecticut
In all seriousness, I'd rather have a team built by good drafting and strategy rather than lottery luck. (I would not be saying this if we won the lotto).

Last edited by a moderator:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
By the way, we have to cut it out on the chatter that someone would have exposed themselves, that wouldn't have remained on the board anyways.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If I was Connor McDavid I would seriously consider going the NCAA route if possible. Being picked by Edmonton could seriously damage his future potential earnings if they screw him up as a player (which wouldn't surprise me).

That would a be a crazy move. Hall and RNH managed to put up numbers and get huge deals as soon as their ELCs ended. McDavid has to be confident he can do better than them.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
Props to mcdavid if he can turn that franchise around. He may have to do managements job though. Lol

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Serious question: is there any other franchise with more #1 picks than the Oilers?

EasyMac

Jul 8, 2004
If I was Connor McDavid I would seriously consider going the NCAA route if possible. Being picked by Edmonton could seriously damage his future potential earnings if they screw him up as a player (which wouldn't surprise me).

He is not eligible to play in the NCAA, as soon as you play in a game for the Canadian Major Junior leagues (OHL/WHL/QMJHL) you lose eligibility for the NCAA.

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
I just think Barzal is a bit too much of what we already have. I'd like to see them take a guy like Connor over Barzal to be honest. I'd probably go Crouse, Werenski or Provorov before Barzal as well. I guess it may also just be my preference in types of players. We have an abundance of pass-first players, and have bigger needs than someone to step in when Giroux is passed his prime. Rantanen is also appealing to me for the fact that he may be one of the more NHL ready prospects in the pool.

Regarding Barzal I have to agree. We have enough pass first guys now. I'd much rather a guy who scores more goals than Barzal and you mentioned a few. I'd rather take one of the D that will be available over Barzal as well. We need goal scoring or stud D. Hell I'd rather take a chance on Zacha than another pass first guy.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Hexy said he was looking for a playmaker before this season and now he is looking for a "skilled forward". I think Barzal would look great as a play making center as our #2 behind Giroux until he starts to decline. Take the most talented players no matter their type of game, which I think Barzal will be at #7

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hexy said he was looking for a playmaker before this season and now he is looking for a "skilled forward". I think Barzal would look great as a play making center as our #2 behind Giroux until he starts to decline. Take the most talented players no matter their type of game, which I think Barzal will be at #7

Why would he wanted a playmaker more than a goal-scorer?

We haven't had a player score 40 goals since Jeff Carter in 08-09.

Hartnell is our only forward to eclipse 35 in that time span.

We desperately need a FINISHER to complement the group we have.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Did anyone else feel nauseaus when Edmonton won?

Such an awful result for the league and for Connor. He looked mortified. Hope he holds out lol.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Did anyone else feel nauseaus when Edmonton won?

Such an awful result for the league and for Connor. He looked mortified. Hope he holds out lol.

Good for the Flyers as he went to a team that has no effect on us.

Horrible for the league and McDavid, Edmonton is pretty much the smallest market globally in NHL. Wpg may be smaller, but has so much more press and hype.

Apparently Katz is suing the owner of the Otters for something and McDavid loves the Otters owner, this could get fun

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Why bother having a media event for the lotto. Build some fan excitement in places where the fan base is hoping for a franchise player. Don't bother. Every time the oilers finish bottom 3, just award them the gold card. If I were going to Vegas, I would want oilers management with me, and I would walk out a millionaire.
I wonder what the math odds of pulling of 4 out of 6 firsts. They will be mind boggling.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
As somebody said last night - Edmonton winning is proof that the lottery isn't rigged.

I'm hoping that the one positive that comes out of this, playing in a smaller market, is that McDavid won't be marketed to death, and shoved in our faces until we're forced to hate him.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Yeah I mean I agree with taking the BPA and if Barzal is the BPA according to our scouts, then so be it. However, my personal preference still lays with players who are pegged more as goal scorers than playmakers. I'd be more pumped to us nab a guy like that.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany

Question is, does selecting Barzal make Laughton expendable? Can he adapt to wing (typical Flyers move) or will he be flipped for a winger?

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I don't know if this was pointed out, but going into the last ball, the Flyers had a chance of winning. They had the first 3 balls drawn, but didn't win the last one.

Origina1Master

Mar 15, 2015
Good for the Flyers as he went to a team that has no effect on us.

Horrible for the league and McDavid, Edmonton is pretty much the smallest market globally in NHL. Wpg may be smaller, but has so much more press and hype.

Apparently Katz is suing the owner of the Otters for something and McDavid loves the Otters owner, this could get fun

I forgot about the whole Katz vs Otters thing. Doubt it changes anything, but would be interesting if it did. I would love to see Connor screw over the Oilers some how.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Wish the Flyers won but I'm content with the outcome....7th is a nice spot and McDavid out in Edmonton is good for the Flyers.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
I don't know if this was pointed out, but going into the last ball, the Flyers had a chance of winning. They had the first 3 balls drawn, but didn't win the last one.

from a post on the main boards
after 1st ball was drawn: Flyers had 8.0% of winning
after 2nd ball was darwn: Flyers had 6.1% of winning
after 3rd ball was darwn: Flyers had 0% of winning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad