OT: 81st Obsequious Banter Thread: Provorov Squared or One Twarynski

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Bingo. There are obviously some jobs which cant be done from home, and I get it. However, if your employees have done their jobs as well or better over the last year? No excuse to require them back in 5 days. If you were 'making it work' and not necessarily as effective becauise they were home, but wanted to make sure they still had a job - sure, thats understandable. But that isnt the case for my particular position. My team and I have been kicking ass and taking names, and if im being honest -- despite the longer hours, the morale of my directs has never been higher.
If they want me in the office more than 2 days...they are gonna have to answer to Bella the cat!

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
I told my boss a few weeks to ago in our weekly connect that i have absolutely 0 intention of going back to the office 5 days aweek, and if shes especting anything more than 3, she should probably begin looking for a backfill. I travel a lot during normal times (and its already picking back up), so the time i am home i'd like to be able to spend with my family. I also am a good 45-50 minutes to the office, and during rush hour, probably about 1`1.5 hours away. Yes, it was my decision to move to where i moved to. But ultimately, Ive done my job from home for 13 months (to the day, actually). If my work hasnt been adequate, i'd have heard about it. If i can do it here, why do you NEED Me to do it there?

To be clear, this isnt a "bang my fists and kick on the floor" rant. I want to go back for like 2 days a week because i do think seeing your co workers and directs (if you have them) is super important. And if my two days back in are Mon/Tues, and theres a meeting on Thurs, of course ill go in. But in a normal week? Forget it. Theres plenty of places that are going to realize the employee benefits of WFH (i work longer hours now than i did at the office), as well as the financial benefits of having less office space required (leases permitting, obviously).
My company hasn't made any decisions about when we're heading back. We had a company meeting last week and it wasn't even discussed. It has been briefly discussed in smaller meetings, just basically them asking what do we expect when things get back to "normal". They ask what we expect/what do we prefer. People have said they want to work from home full time, but for me, I say I want to do a hybrid: office like twice a week and home the other three days, for the same reasons you said. I live alone, it's f***ing boring sitting there all day.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I see no damn reason for me to be in the office more than 2x a week even if it is only 6 miles away. Building is old and has air quality issues anyway. This past year I probably prolonged my life a few years....or maybe the damage is already done. But seriously, I can do my job 100% at home without missing a damn beat. I am basically my own boss with lots of autonomy and I don't need to be in the office to have pointless meetings just for face time and other fluff reasons. Lots of people socialize their jobs with gossip and office intrigue ....I am not missing any of that toxicity whatsoever. I like some human interaction but not BS office dynamics.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I told my boss a few weeks to ago in our weekly connect that i have absolutely 0 intention of going back to the office 5 days aweek, and if shes especting anything more than 3, she should probably begin looking for a backfill. I travel a lot during normal times (and its already picking back up), so the time i am home i'd like to be able to spend with my family. I also am a good 45-50 minutes to the office, and during rush hour, probably about 1`1.5 hours away. Yes, it was my decision to move to where i moved to. But ultimately, Ive done my job from home for 13 months (to the day, actually). If my work hasnt been adequate, i'd have heard about it. If i can do it here, why do you NEED Me to do it there?

To be clear, this isnt a "bang my fists and kick on the floor" rant. I want to go back for like 2 days a week because i do think seeing your co workers and directs (if you have them) is super important. And if my two days back in are Mon/Tues, and theres a meeting on Thurs, of course ill go in. But in a normal week? Forget it. Theres plenty of places that are going to realize the employee benefits of WFH (i work longer hours now than i did at the office), as well as the financial benefits of having less office space required (leases permitting, obviously).
Before the whole pandemic, my company was completely fine with me working from home anytime I wanted.
Some days I would wake up and decide f*** it I am not going in today.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Before the whole pandemic, my company was completely fine with me working from home anytime I wanted.
Some days I would wake up and decide f*** it I am not going in today.

I could do that most days. My boss wasn't a fan, but she never really said no, either. It's was more of an understood "if you can be here, be here". It was also a lot easier when I lived 1.5 miles from work and could walk in in 20 minutes, lol.

Reactions: VladDrag and Embiid

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
New floors installed on my main level today. I'm in love.

20210413_195207.jpg

20210413_185319.jpg

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Today's Medal of Honor goes to Hilliard Wilbanks, who enlisted in the Air Force as a 17 year old. He started his career as an MP before qualifying for pilot training. He passed and was commissioned as an officer, becoming an instructor himself. He served in that position for a decade before being deployed to Vietnam in April 1966.

Wilbanks was a very busy man there. By February 1967 he had flown 487 combat missions, being awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross and 17 Air Medals. He wasn't in a jet, though. He was in a Cessna. Wilbanks was a forward observer, flying reconnaissance in a small single engine prop plane with a top speed of just over 100 miles per hour. On February 24th, he was scouting ahead of a group of South Vietnamese rangers who were about to walk into a Viet Cong trap.

The VC saw his plane, and realized that he had spotted them, so they immediately began to charge the rangers and started shooting at Wilbanks with small arms fire. Knowing that the rangers were outnumbered and would be routed at best and other air support was too far away to help, he started buzzing the enemy troops with his unarmed plane in an attempt to slow them down. Unfortunately, he didn't have much in the way of offense. The aircraft was armed with a few white phosphorus rockets, but he expended those quickly, and the VC kept advancing, forcing Wilbanks to fly even lower, and make strafing runs by firing his M-16 out of the side window of the plane.

This was obviously very distracting, and the VC made the observation plane their focus. During his third pass, he was hit by fire from the ground, and his plane crashed in between the opposing troops. One of the South Vietnamese soldiers pulled him from the wreckage, and he was evacuated onto a helicopter, but sadly died before reaching a hospital. His delaying tactic worked, though, and he held up the Viet Cong long enough for some F-4s to fly in and drop some ordnance on their position.

View attachment 421896

0nP_gUIhD4mbKbUeNX30JbXtZHmOZK8y4nNO74BMKu5VrEQ4ej0aCuvVvnu8TYy4DBu1PMkCSeEu2e6WyQtm4TBlGgDeVLMptzBMnG5vhM4dusTVCjbIK1xQ9QCBSjWMlovwIrgI0LO8FOt4XsalKMg8svR2xn1UqPvL3M5VQjmC
How could he fly with those giant brass balls? Shooting a m16 from a plane he was piloting, holy f***.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Today's Medal of Honor goes to Lewis Millett, a veteran of three wars and two different countries. He was born in 1920, and enlisted in the Massachusetts National Guard while in high school. After graduating, he enlisted in the Army Air Corps, but went AWOL in 1941 because he was worried the US wouldn't enter the war. He hitchhiked his way to Canada, and enlisted in the Canadian Army. He was deployed to London and served as radar operator during the Blitz. After the States started sending troops to Europe, he rejoined the American army, and went on to have an extremely eventful war.

He fought in North Africa, and was awarded the Silver Star for driving a truck filled with burning ammunition away from Allied troops. He managed to dive off just before it exploded. He also shot down a German fighter plane using a machine gun mounted to a half-track. Later, he helped invade Italy before being court-martialed for deserting in 1941. He was found guilty, and fined $52 (around $800 today). Not too long after that, he was given a battlefield commission.

When Korea rolled around, he got called back into service, and was promoted to Captain. He and his company were assaulting an enemy position on a hill when one of his platoons got pinned down by enemy fire. Millett grabbed another one of his platoons, ordered his men to fix bayonets, and led both platoons in a charge at the North Koreans, driving them off after some brutal hand to hand combat. It was the last time American forces used a bayonet charge in combat. During the fighting he was wounded by a grenade, but refused to leave for treatment until his men had completely secured the hill. He was awarded the Medal of Honor for his bravery while leading his troops.

Millett continued serving through Vietnam, retiring in 1973 as a full bird Colonel. Along the way, he earned a ludicrous number of medals. All told he was presented with the MoH, a Distinguished Service Cross, a Silver Star, Legion of Merit x3, the Bronze Star x3, four Purple Hearts, and a couple Air Medals. He managed to make it 88 years old before his heart gave out a month before his 89th birthday.

Lewis_Millett_saluting_1985.JPEG

MoH Citation said:
Capt. Millett, Company E, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action. While personally leading his company in an attack against a strongly held position he noted that the 1st Platoon was pinned down by small-arms, automatic, and antitank fire. Capt. Millett ordered the 3d Platoon forward, placed himself at the head of the 2 platoons, and, with fixed bayonet, led the assault up the fire-swept hill. In the fierce charge Capt. Millett bayoneted 2 enemy soldiers and boldly continued on, throwing grenades, clubbing and bayoneting the enemy, while urging his men forward by shouting encouragement. Despite vicious opposing fire, the whirlwind hand-to-hand assault carried to the crest of the hill. His dauntless leadership and personal courage so inspired his men that they stormed into the hostile position and used their bayonets with such lethal effect that the enemy fled in wild disorder. During this fierce onslaught Capt. Millett was wounded by grenade fragments but refused evacuation until the objective was taken and firmly secured. The superb leadership, conspicuous courage, and consummate devotion to duty demonstrated by Capt. Millett were directly responsible for the successful accomplishment of a hazardous mission and reflect the highest credit on himself and the heroic traditions of the military service.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Today's Medal of Honor goes to Lewis Millett, a veteran of three wars and two different countries. He was born in 1920, and enlisted in the Massachusetts National Guard while in high school. After graduating, he enlisted in the Army Air Corps, but went AWOL in 1941 because he was worried the US wouldn't enter the war. He hitchhiked his way to Canada, and enlisted in the Canadian Army. He was deployed to London and served as radar operator during the Blitz. After the States started sending troops to Europe, he rejoined the American army, and went on to have an extremely eventful war.

He fought in North Africa, and was awarded the Silver Star for driving a truck filled with burning ammunition away from Allied troops. He managed to dive off just before it exploded. He also shot down a German fighter plane using a machine gun mounted to a half-track. Later, he helped invade Italy before being court-martialed for deserting in 1941. He was found guilty, and fined $52 (around $800 today). Not too long after that, he was given a battlefield commission.

When Korea rolled around, he got called back into service, and was promoted to Captain. He and his company were assaulting an enemy position on a hill when one of his platoons got pinned down by enemy fire. Millett grabbed another one of his platoons, ordered his men to fix bayonets, and led both platoons in a charge at the North Koreans, driving them off after some brutal hand to hand combat. It was the last time American forces used a bayonet charge in combat. During the fighting he was wounded by a grenade, but refused to leave for treatment until his men had completely secured the hill. He was awarded the Medal of Honor for his bravery while leading his troops.

Millett continued serving through Vietnam, retiring in 1973 as a full bird Colonel. Along the way, he earned a ludicrous number of medals. All told he was presented with the MoH, a Distinguished Service Cross, a Silver Star, Legion of Merit x3, the Bronze Star x3, four Purple Hearts, and a couple Air Medals. He managed to make it 88 years old before his heart gave out a month before his 89th birthday.

Lewis_Millett_saluting_1985.JPEG
That mustache is out of regs, but not a soul had the balls to call him out on it.
I read a book about an American that went to England or Canada specifically because America was taking too long for his liking to get involved.
Excellent book but I can’t remember any specific about it. I think it was called The Doughboys and was about WW1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad