bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
upload_2021-4-17_13-19-7.jpeg

cheaped out a bit , buts LFG

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
How is this different from the stock market though? I mean not discounting asset bubbles and how there is profit in volatility...just that crypto is obviously not immune to the same dynamic. Frankly with China's rise ....the financial architecture that the US has dominated post WWII and since Bretton Woods is getting challenged pretty considerably and the Fed knows this...why they basically are backing more state sponsored capitalism/investment vs the BS "free" market capitalism that leads to speculation, asset bubbles and collapses requiring bailouts and central bank backing and liquidity laxatives by our own "Chairman" ......
I think the same exact thing is happening with the stock market.

All things. Crypto, stock market, NFT’s, sports cards, etc.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think the long game is definitely trying to leverage the blockchain tech...that is the transformative tech. Not sure how the crypto coins are going to fare...why I am interested in seeing how the Chinese digital yuan issued by their central bank will work with or against crypto. It is a big recent play by them. I know the Fed is looking to see about a digital dollar. Central banks are not going to give up their money printing/creation scheme so easily to a bunch of rogue actors...

Blockchain will really come into its own when quantum computing is nailed down and we can eliminate the brute-force effort of calculating hashes for massive ledgers.

That will probably destroy the whole crypto mining thing. But for the average person that won't matter. Mining is a barely productive hobby now and it's shut to people with just laptops or desktops.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Today's Medal of Honor recipient is a bit of an echo of Eugene Bullard. Ludovicus Maria Matheus Van Iersel was born in the Netherlands in 1893, and was working on a Norwegian ship heading to the United States in 1917 when he helped rescue 27 British sailors whose ship had been torpedoed by a submarine. When the ship arrived in New Jersey, he wound up enlisting in the Army, but didn't speak a lick of English, so he was stuck on permanent KP until he picked up enough of the language to understand commands.

After learning English, Van Iersel was deployed to France, where he served with distinction, earning awards for carrying wounded men to safety and using his ability to speak German to talk his way into and enemy trench before convincing the troops occupying it to surrender. He was just getting warmed up, though. Two days before the war ended, on November 9, 1918, he was leading a patrol sent to check out the status of a bridge and any enemy troops around it.

Van Iersel told his boys to sit tight, and started moving across the bridge alone, disregarding the German machine gun fire directed his way. He got partway across when a booby-trap detonated and blew him off into the water. He managed to swim across, and do a bit of eavesdropping, learning that the Germans were planning on bombarding his battalion's position with artillery very soon. He swam back across the river and reported in to his superiors, who pulled the men back, saving countless lives.

After the war he earned his American citizenship, and briefly returned to the Netherlands to get married before he and his bride returned to the States permanently. His fighting days weren't done, though, and when WW2 broke out, Van Iersel tried to volunteer for the Army again, but was turned down because of his age. The United States Marine Corps was less picky, and allowed him to enlist. He served with the 3rd Marine Division on Bougainville in the Solomon Islands, although I can't find any sources with any more information than that, so it's unclear if he participated in combat there. After the war he returned home, settling in California, and lived a long life, passing away in 1987.

Ludovicus_M._M._Van_Iersel.jpg

Lot-9425-12_%2822371185003%29.jpg

MoH Citation said:
While a member of the reconnaissance patrol, sent out at night to ascertain the condition of a damaged bridge, Sgt. Van Iersel volunteered to lead a party across the bridge in the face of heavy machinegun and rifle fire from a range of only 75 yards. Crawling alone along the debris of the ruined bridge he came upon a trap, which gave away and precipitated him into the water. In spite of the swift current he succeeded in swimming across the stream and found a lodging place among the timbers on the opposite bank. Disregarding the enemy fire, he made a careful investigation of the hostile position by which the bridge was defended and then returned to the other bank of the river, reporting this valuable information to the battalion commander.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Today's Medal of Honor recipient is a bit of an echo of Eugene Bullard. Ludovicus Maria Matheus Van Iersel was born in the Netherlands in 1893, and was working on a Norwegian ship heading to the United States in 1917 when he helped rescue 27 British sailors whose ship had been torpedoed by a submarine. When the ship arrived in New Jersey, he wound up enlisting in the Army, but didn't speak a lick of English, so he was stuck on permanent KP until he picked up enough of the language to understand commands.

After learning English, Van Iersel was deployed to France, where he served with distinction, earning awards for carrying wounded men to safety and using his ability to speak German to talk his way into and enemy trench before convincing the troops occupying it to surrender. He was just getting warmed up, though. Two days before the war ended, on November 9, 1918, he was leading a patrol sent to check out the status of a bridge and any enemy troops around it.

Van Iersel told his boys to sit tight, and started moving across the bridge alone, disregarding the German machine gun fire directed his way. He got partway across when a booby-trap detonated and blew him off into the water. He managed to swim across, and do a bit of eavesdropping, learning that the Germans were planning on bombarding his battalion's position with artillery very soon. He swam back across the river and reported in to his superiors, who pulled the men back, saving countless lives.

After the war he earned his American citizenship, and briefly returned to the Netherlands to get married before he and his bride returned to the States permanently. His fighting days weren't done, though, and when WW2 broke out, Van Iersel tried to volunteer for the Army again, but was turned down because of his age. The United States Marine Corps was less picky, and allowed him to enlist. He served with the 3rd Marine Division on Bougainville in the Solomon Islands, although I can't find any sources with any more information than that, so it's unclear if he participated in combat there. After the war he returned home, settling in California, and lived a long life, passing away in 1987.

Can we talk about how this mad lad wandered into an enemy trenched and talked them into giving up

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Can we talk about how this mad lad wandered into an enemy trenched and talked them into giving up
The best part about this is that he and his men were vastly outnumbered. According to his obit in the LA Times, he never would have attempted it if he had known how many Germans were hanging out there.

I would also like to note that he swam across that river at night in November in eastern France. The water had to be literally freezing or very close to it.

But I would expect nothing less from a man named Ludovicus.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013

The military is a huge melting pot. I went to boot camp with someone from Ireland, and served with a corporal from England, and lance corporals from the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Sierra Leone, and Cambodia(I think). Not that it’s exotic or anything but we even had someone from Alaska.
This is all from the same unit during the same timeframe.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The military is a huge melting pot. I went to boot camp with someone from Ireland, and served with a corporal from England, and lance corporals from the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Sierra Leone, and Cambodia(I think). Not that it’s exotic or anything but we even had someone from Alaska.
This is all from the same unit during the same timeframe.

Did they all consider you the "dumb one"?

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Have you not seen it before? I have it on too, and it is pretty stupid, but I watched it for the first time years ago.
First time I’ve ever seen it and my god it was a regrettable time

Wick was on before and thought I was going to get the third and that came on. Beyond disappointed with the night. The makers made it slightly better but overall -2/10

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
First time I’ve ever seen it and my god it was a regrettable time

Wick was on before and thought I was going to get the third and that came on. Beyond disappointed with the night. The makers made it slightly better but overall -2/10

I had it on that channel as well, but I was watching anime on my laptop and not paying attention.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Asken dropped like a bad habit by Paul.
I really don’t think Askren took that fight seriously at all. He’s coming off a hip replacement and looked extremely out of shape. I know he’s always been ‘doughy’, but it looked like it was the first time he got off a couch in months.
He’s made it very clear he was just in it for the pay day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad