Post-Game Talk: #81 | Blue Jackets at Flyers | April 11, 2023

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
JvR and Farabee.... Third LW too... read the roster.... Torts would play all of TK, Cam, JvR and Farabee over Tippett when healthy. And the minutes would go higher for lines 1 and 2 because then he'd think he could compete for the playoffs. Not a cup but the playoffs.
Tippett played over JVR for almost the entire season, even at LW.
Once JVR showed his age, and his lack of speed, he was headed to 3LW.
Torts wouldn't have thought Atkinson made this a playoff team, now Couts, that's a different story.

Farabee - Couts - TK
Tippett - Frost - Atkinson
JVR - Cates - Hayes
Deslauriers - Laughton - Allison

In that case, CF might still be the GM, so count your blessings!

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Tippett played over JVR for almost the entire season, even at LW.
Once JVR showed his age, and his lack of speed, he was headed to 3LW.
Torts wouldn't have thought Atkinson made this a playoff team, now Couts, that's a different story.

Farabee - Couts - TK
Tippett - Frost - Atkinson
JVR - Cates - Hayes
Deslauriers - Laughton - Allison

In that case, CF might still be the GM, so count your blessings!
Have I not said healthy roster all along... That means Coots and Cam... I wasn't bring up Coots as he's a Center who would not compete with any wing for ice time. But see that's just you not reading the post and trying to twist things....

Try this would be Torts if they were a competive team....

Farabee/JvR-Coots-TK
JvR/Farabee-Hayes-Atkinson
Tippett-Frost-Allison/Cates
Deslauriers-Laughton-Cates/Allison

He would never have tried anything else. Injuries forced his hand. Torts is not the savior you keep making him to be. He did what he did this season only when injuries forced it. Hell actually Cates or Allison would not have been on the Flyers because ZAC F'N MAC ATTACK would have been here all year.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
So? The first three lines got similar minutes and were juggled all season.

Tippett has been used at LW, and Atkinson probably would have been.
So if he performed, Tippett would have gotten similar minutes even with Atkinson healthy.
We simply wouldn't have seen MacEwen, Allison or Lemieux get top 9 minutes.

Tippett is similar to Frost, the raw talent was always there, it took them both time to translate that skill into production on the ice, Tippett had to slow down a bit, Frost had to focus more (especially on defense) and be more consistent. Both have upside left, how much more they'll improve the next couple years remains to be seen.

Why do you insist on inventing narratives about Frost?

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
First I hate this team, secondly ginning looks like a top 4 defenseman........in the ahl, he's out of position a shit ton for someone who is supposed to be a stay at home defenseman

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Have I not said healthy roster all along... That means Coots and Cam... I wasn't bring up Coots as he's a Center who would not compete with any wing for ice time. But see that's just you not reading the post and trying to twist things....

Try this would be Torts if they were a competive team....

Farabee/JvR-Coots-TK
JvR/Farabee-Hayes-Atkinson
Tippett-Frost-Allison/Cates
Deslauriers-Laughton-Cates/Allison

He would never have tried anything else. Injuries forced his hand. Torts is not the savior you keep making him to be. He did what he did this season only when injuries forced it. Hell actually Cates or Allison would not have been on the Flyers because ZAC F'N MAC ATTACK would have been here all year.
Torts plays kids, not every kid, but the ones that earn their PT. He won't play kids just to play them, either they play the right way or back to the AHL to learn to play the right way.

Cates would have played in any case, Hayes would have been demoted in any case - notice how fast Frost and Cates jumped ahead of Hayes? Torts ain't AV, he doesn't love his veterans, he just loves the players who play the style he demands. JVR wouldn't have stayed in the top six for the same reason.

MacEwen only played on the 3rd line due to injuries, same with Lemieux. Allison jumped ahead of them but hasn't done enough to beat out Foerster and/or Brink next season. Allison hasn't played that well, he's a shadow of the guy who flashed out of college two years ago, injuries have taken their toll, same with Laczynski.

Every high priced veteran, other than Provorov (and Torts has expressed frustration with Provorov) has been benched at least once this season. Being a veteran counts for zilch.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Torts plays kids, not every kid, but the ones that earn their PT. He won't play kids just to play them, either they play the right way or back to the AHL to learn to play the right way.

Cates would have played in any case, Hayes would have been demoted in any case - notice how fast Frost and Cates jumped ahead of Hayes? Torts ain't AV, he doesn't love his veterans, he just loves the players who play the style he demands. JVR wouldn't have stayed in the top six for the same reason.

MacEwen only played on the 3rd line due to injuries, same with Lemieux. Allison jumped ahead of them but hasn't done enough to beat out Foerster and/or Brink next season. Allison hasn't played that well, he's a shadow of the guy who flashed out of college two years ago, injuries have taken their toll, same with Laczynski.

Every high priced veteran, other than Provorov (and Torts has expressed frustration with Provorov) has been benched at least once this season. Being a veteran counts for zilch.
Coots is here and a lot of the deficiency in Hayes's game are masked as he's not asked to do what Coots does like he was at the beginning of the season.

Once he's protected it takes longer to see the flaws and the kids don't get the time forced to them so Torts don't see they are better.

Dominoes....

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Torts plays kids? This claim was laughable and dubious before the season started. Fresh off the treatments of Desnoyers, Attard, Zamula, and healthy Laczynski sitting it's just bizarre. Are you posting from a different universe where Tortorella is completely different from what he is here?

You assured us there would be a youth movement. A revolving door from the AHL of guys constantly cycling through. I told you that would never happen. Only one game left for that to happen.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Was Ginning good?
Faster than Hagg; did not think he made many gaffs; but I will defer to the more technical fans than me. He did take the number 50, which was going to be Morin’s.

what is depressing could have had Morrissey instead of Morin,could have had Makar instead, could have had Miller instead of JOB, wtf is this team redeemable? How neurotic do we have to be to watch? I defer that question again to others.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Ginning actually looked like a NHL player. Skating is pretty smooth for a big guy, nice passer, didn't chase hits. Doesn't have much of an offensive game, but we're talking 3rd pair D-man here.

Tippett showed he's got some scoring chops, not as good a shot as Foerster, but good enough that 26 goals wasn't a fluke. I don't think his upside is higher than 30 or so, but he could be a consistent 20-30 goal scorer, and that ain't bad. If he can improve his defense and maybe become a decent PK guy with his speed, might be a solid piece going forward.

26 goals ties him with Cole Caufield (and 8 other players at #70), and Tippett offers more off the puck.
Ginning made a couple mistakes with the puck, but overall he absolutely looked like an NHL defender.

His skating is smooth, he’s good at using his long reach & stick defensively, & he’s strong. Poked pucks away & also shoved guys off the puck.

Pretty promising debut.

Reactions: renberg

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I like how for some players in the past, it was “he is only producing because he has better usage on a bad team, on a good team he would be fourth liner “.
But with Tippet it’s the opposite. I. Wonder. Why.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I like how for some players in the past, it was “he is only producing because he has better usage on a bad team, on a good team he would be fourth liner “.
But with Tippet it’s the opposite. I. Wonder. Why.
There's a difference between total production and rate of production.
A certain player put up big numbers b/c he got a lot of minutes on a bad team, but produced at the same rate as he did on the Flyers post-his best season.

There's also a huge difference between a young player who finally gets steady playing time (you know, Frost) and a veteran who "is what he is."

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Watched the CBJ broadcast of the game. Judy Shelly is the color man on the broadcast. He had a lot of good things to say about Tippett-speed, size shot and work ethic. He thought that Tippett will be a prototype NHL power forward. Not and AS but a very good player. Tips was the best Flyer on the ice.
Tippett was the best Flyer on the ice for a good number of games this season. Probably third to TK & Hart.

Reactions: TCTC

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Tippett was the best Flyer on the ice for a good number of games this season. Probably third to TK & Hart.
Seems like this was one of those change of scenery situations. Similar to Bennett in Florida.

Still not sure if I like the value we received for Giroux, but at least we got a decent player for him.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Seems like this was one of those change of scenery situations. Similar to Bennett in Florida.

Still not sure if I like the value we received for Giroux, but at least we got a decent player for him.
It was fantastic value for a rental of Giroux, especially considering Giroux would only go to one team.

A former 10th overall pick who has 26 goals in 76 games & just recently turned only 23 yrs old.

Plus 1st & 3rd rd picks.

Compare that to what Chicago just got for Patrick Kane a year later: A 2nd rd & 4th rd pick.

And what Buffalo got for Taylor Hall just two years ago: A 2nd rd pick & Anders Bjork.

Criticize Chuck for other stuff, but the Giroux trade was a home run.

Florida must regret the hell out of it.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
It was fantastic value for a rental of Giroux, especially considering Giroux would only go to one team.

A former 10th overall pick who has 26 goals in 76 games & just recently turned only 23 yrs old.

Plus 1st & 3rd rd picks.

Compare that to what Chicago just got for Patrick Kane a year later: A 2nd rd & 4th rd pick.

And what Buffalo got for Taylor Hall just two years ago: A 2nd rd pick & Anders Bjork.

Criticize Chuck for other stuff, but the Giroux trade was a home run.

Florida must regret the hell out of it.
Yeah, you're probably right. Would be an even better trade if the Panthers miss the playoffs next year. I guess 11th pick would be best case scenario?

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad