GDT: #81 - 04/07/16 | new york islanders @ NEW YORK RANGERS | 7:00 - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
It works in baseball because formulas were tweaked and such and other more telling stats were invented. When baseball stats were introduced they were somewhat flawed as well but over time they've improved.

I didn't get into it when they first came out as I was in my teens and didn't care but yeah I know the stats have been more refined over the years. hopefully it will continue in hockey. Just don't want people to make that 1st,2nd, and closing arguments on player x,y, and z. Too many moving variables. When your up big like the piles are right now generally the other team will have/retrieve/want the puck more.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
It works in baseball because formulas were tweaked and such and other more telling stats were invented. When baseball stats were introduced they were somewhat flawed as well but over time they've improved.

Corsi has its flaws and it isn't the end-all-be-all, but you don't think it's generally a good idea to consistently and regularly have more shots/shot attempts than your opponents?

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
What are we doing this game?
No offensive contributions - get Nash back on the Brassard line!

*Bob Richards*

Sam basically showed up Joe and dabbed on him with that trivia answer.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Can someone tell Sam that Vali had 8 career shutouts? 2 as an Islander, 6 as a Ranger. 1 game he didn't even face a shot because he came on after 58 minutes. Probably doesn't count

Still has 5 as a Ranger, if you count games where he played more than half

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
So...

"SOMEONE GET ME THE POSSESSION STATS OF RANGIZ VS PANTHERS AND RANGIZ VS PENGUINS!!!"

Mike_Francesa_Article1-482x307.jpg

Can any stat hounds provide this data for this season?

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Whatt makes you all think the Islanders are going to try to win their next games?

Why wouldn't they do all they can to avoid Pittsburgh?

Some of you act like the Rangers are the only team that controls the outcome of games.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I'm convinced these same members have probably never seen another starter in net for this team. They don't know what a normal goalie is like. They also don't pay any attention to what happened that caused the goal. Most times the surrounding plays are what cause a goal not the goalie.

It's a shame because hank is a once in a lifetime talent and every game thread you and others have to defend him. It's crazy.

We have seen other goalies play for this team. They're close to a combined 70-40 in those games.

There's no way of ever knowing the playoff outcome since Lundqvist is always there. What we do know is he's backstopped them to the brink of a Cup. The question is can he do it again?

Having 8.5 million AAV tied up to a goalie in his mid-30's - elite or not - is a worthy debate.

I give Lundqvist two more postseasons. After that it would be folly not to reassess the options.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Corsi has its flaws and it isn't the end-all-be-all, but you don't think it's generally a good idea to consistently and regularly have more shots/shot attempts than your opponents?

Depends where those shots are coming from. I've lost count how many times we've yelled for the Rangers to shoot but no they look for that next pass that will put them in an even better goal scoring opportunity. Shot is a shot, whether it comes point blank or from the blue line it still counts as 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad