GDT: #80 - HURRICANES at SABRES – MON APR 6 @ 7:00 PM ET – MSG-B, BELL TV – WGR

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
:canes vs. :sabres

HURRICANES (29-38-11) AT SABRES (22-49-8)

NHL.com Game Preview: Hurricanes open three-game road trip at Sabres
[NHL]801064[/NHL]

Season series: The Buffalo Sabres and Carolina Hurricanes have split the season series. Buffalo won 4-3 in a shootout on Oct. 14, and the Hurricanes won 5-2 on Jan. 8. Goalie Cam Ward started each game for Carolina. Defenseman Justin Faulk had two assists in the Hurricanes' victory.

Sabres Digital Press Box Game Preview: 4/6/15 vs. CAR
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 344)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed

Cody McCormick (lower body, Jan. 13; injured reserve) – 36 games
Josh Gorges (lower body, Feb. 15; injured reserve) – 24 games
Evander Kane (shoulder, Feb. 15; injured reserve) – 24 games
Zemgus Girgensons (lower body, Feb. 26; injured reserve) – 18 games
Chad Johnson (lower body, March 6) – 15 games
Jerry D’Amigo (upper body, March 23) – 7 games
Matt Hackett (undisclosed, March 30) – 4 games
Matt Moulson (illness, April 3) – 2 games
Mike Weber (lower body, April 3) – 2 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
4/1: Assigned F Tim Schaller to Rochester (AHL)
4/3: Recalled F Tim Schaller from Rochester (AHL)

UPCOMING GAMES
Friday, April 10: Buffalo at Columbus, 7 p.m.
Saturday, April 11: Pittsburgh at Buffalo, 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME
HURRICANES at SABRES

This is the third and final meeting between the Sabres and Hurricanes this season.
Last meeting: Carolina defeated Buffalo, 5-2, in Carolina on Jan. 8, 2015.
The Sabres are 3-7-0 in their last 10 games vs. the Hurricanes; 4-6-0 at home.
This is the 192nd game all-time between Buffalo and Carolina; Buffalo has a 98-69-24 series record.
The Sabres are 55-31-8 at home against the Hurricanes all-time.

GAME NOTES PDF

PRESS CLIPS PDF

Here are the projected lineups:

HURRICANES

Eric Staal - Jordan Staal - Elias Lindholm

Jeff Skinner - Andrej Nestrasil - Alexander Semin

Chris Terry - Victor Rask - Nathan Gerbe

Brad Malone - Jay McClement - Patrick Dwyer

Ron Hainsey - Justin Faulk

Brett Bellemore - John-Michael Liles

Michal Jordan - Danny Biega

Cam Ward

Anton Khudobin

Scratched: Ryan Murphy

Injured: Riley Nash (concussion), Rasmus Rissanen (knee), Jack Hillen (concussion)

SABRES

Matt Moulson - Johan Larsson - Tyler Ennis

Marcus Foligno - Mikhail Grigorenko - Brian Gionta

Zac Dalpe - Philip Varone - Cody Hodgson

Nicolas Deslauriers - Matt Ellis - Patrick Kaleta

Tyson Strachan - Zach Bogosian

Andrej Meszaros - Rasmus Ristolainen

Nikita Zadorov - Andre Benoit

Anders Lindback

Andrey Makarov

Scratched: None

Injured: Mike Weber (undisclosed), Matt Hackett (lower body), Jerry D'Amigo (facial surgery), Zemgus Girgensons (foot), Josh Gorges (lower body), Chad Johnson (lower body), Cody McCormick (blood clots), Evander Kane (shoulder)

Status Report: Nash and Rissanen wore non-contact jerseys during the Hurricanes' morning skate. … Tim Schaller skated with the Sabres on Monday, but with Moulson healthy he was returned to Rochester of the American Hockey League. … Nolan said they would know more about Weber's status soon.

Who's Hot: Lindholm has a point in two straight games, with one goal and one assist. … Terry has two goals and two assists in the past five games. … Meszaros has four goals and an assist in five games.

Referees
Dave Jackson (#8)
Garrett Rank (#48)

Referees Jackson & Rank have worked 0 games together this season.

Linesmen
Trent Knorr (#63)
Steve Miller (#89)

Linesmen Knorr & Miller have worked 2 games together this season.

Last edited:

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Going to this game thanks to La Cosa Nostra~! Hopefully we can play well and clinch last place! 3-2 Carolina regulation win.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I'd have to assume Lindback will get the start tomorrow, no?

Would make sense. Nolan seems to want to get Hackett a start if he ever gets healthy, so that's a probability. Makarov wasn't bad so he could be the "hot goalie" that we ride. And of course Johnson hopes to get back for one game before the seasons over. So really, your guess is as good as anyone's. :laugh:

My money's on Lindy or Makarov. Then Hackett for Columbus. Then Johnson against Pittsburgh.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Just.Lose. regulation loss please it's all I'm asking for.

Going to this game thanks to La Cosa Nostra~! Hopefully we can play well and clinch last place! 3-2 Carolina regulation win.

Enjoy the game. Just don't be a disgrace and cheer openly for the Canes :sarcasm:

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Let us go Canes! let us go Canes! Go canes go! Holy mama chottyitchhhhhh we are so close. SO CLOSE

Karate Johnson*

Would it be possible to sign Rory Fitzpatrick to a one game contract?

To right wrongs, and restore balance to the universal energy?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Hrmmm, I still my Carolina Hurricanes Pint glass from game 1 of the 2006 Eastern Conference Final. I did not smash it in the parking lot. It has survived moving several times. In fact I still use it pretty regularly. Though, when I drink from it, I usually mutter something like "****ing Rod Brind'Amour you ugly ****"

Though, when I get blue I just look at carolina's cap situation and have a hearty giggle (for the record, its 27 million for a combined 50 goals 62 assists from 4 players)

So, the question is, What do i do with this tainted chalice? Do I smash it in celebration if the Hurricanes win? Why would I root for this poor excuse of a franchise? What if Buffalo wins, do I smash it in frustration because McEichel is not yet clinched?

This is a very confusing time for me.

However, after examining the standings, a win vs Buffalo both HELPS buffalo and essentially locks the Hurricanes into 5th seed.

Unfortunately, math says they will likely retain a top 5 pick. So, one of Strome, Marner, or Hanafin will drop to them. There is something like a 40% chance they'll get dropped 6, which would please me, but, the draft is so deep this year the difference between 5 and 6 isn't that great.

In looking at the big picture, a Hurricane win does both help Buffalo and Hurt Carolina....a little. For me to smash my 2006 ECF Game 1 Pint glass? It's going to have to be a franchise destroying moment. I considered the SO win vs Carolina a few years back that knocked them out of the playoffs as a possible glass smashing moment, but no, I'll continue to wait. I'm still not over the endless string of puck luck and injuries that led to Buffalo's dismissal in 2006. So, it will remain safe. In my cupboard. Waiting for a day when vengeance shall be complete.

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
Shootout loss. Mike Weber ties it up very late in the 3rd going end to end. Falls to his knees and weeps after the goal.

Karate Johnson*

If Carolina beats us, and we clinch McEichel, you fill that glass, you drink the contents, then you destroy it.

Symbolically closing the book on the last 10 years.

It's a new day on Tuesday. (If we lose. If we win Tuesday is still monday. Which is insane)

Karate Johnson*

Shootout loss. Mike Weber ties it up very late in the 3rd going end to end. Falls to his knees and weeps after the goal.

Weber is out for the year with a broken heart bro.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
If Carolina beats us, and we clinch McEichel, you fill that glass, you drink the contents, then you destroy it.

Symbolically closing the book on the last 10 years.

It's a new day on Tuesday. (If we lose. If we win Tuesday is still monday. Which is insane)

I like the idea of breaking it to close a chapter on the post 2004 lockout Sabres. Very symbolic in a way. But.....it's not enough. We'll see how I feel post game. But right now, I think I need to see Carolina go through a full tear down awful rebuild like ours but be stuck in a loop of finishing 11th-9th. All the pain but none of the top pick satisfaction.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I will not root against them when they play the Canes. They have two games to spare. This can be one.

Karate Johnson*

I will not root against them when they play the Canes. They have two games to spare. This can be one.

So you are hoping that the Canes lose tonight and get a better draft pick/better odds for McDavid without suffering as much?

Seems like someone who hates Carolina would want the outcome that is worst for them, which also happens to be the outcome best for Buffalo.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Doak where the Canes pick doesn't matter one ****ing bit to us. Same with Toronto .I could care less where they pick as long as we clinch McEichel. Lets just ****ing lose in regulation and be done with this torture

SeanDog

Feb 1, 2010
I think we lose this one. This team has proven all season long that it is bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad