Post-Game Talk: #80: FLYERS at Stars, Tuesday, April 2, 2019, 8:30 p.m. ET

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
TK isn't a great player

2018-19: xGP -0.305, EV GAR 1.3, PP GAR 1.9, Pen GAR 1.6
2017-18: xGP 0.065, EV GAR 10.2, PP GAR -1.5, Pen GAR 1.3
2016-17: xGP -0.117, EV GAR 3.1, PP GAR -0.3, Pen GAR 2.1

He's really regressed this season, though he's becoming a positive on the PP, his ES play sucks.
His one strength is drawing penalties.

Lindblom
2018-19: xGP 0.118, EV GAR 4.2, PP GAR -0.2, Pen GAR 1.1

Lindblom doesn't have TK's raw talent, but he's bigger, smarter and tougher.

At 5v5, he's a support player dependent on linemates much the way JVR is, albeit with different strengths and weaknesses. They absolutely cannot be on a line together. I'm not sure even Couts could make it work.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think there's hope for TK, he took a step forward last year, a step back this year, especially after Gordon took over. But he's only 21.

Different strokes for different folks, I think TK is one of those guys who needs hard coaching, it's not his motor that's in question but his hockey IQ, he needs to be sat on to keep him focused. I like him on a speed third line where he can skate and force the action, not on a top line with veterans where he is asked to play a more deliberate game - some players get in trouble when they think too much.

Voracek is what he is, he played harder this year, but he lacks the compete that's innate in someone like Giroux.
Some players like to make plays, some hate to lose.

I'm not sure what to make of JVR going forward, he skated much better the last couple months and was a solid winger in Toronto, albeit in a protected role with a veteran center (Bozak). JVR - Couts - Giroux (who started out as a RW, so it's not a stretch) might be worth going with next year - would JVR fit with Frost and ??? at RW. And if so, where does Farabee play?

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
"We are garbage - bah bah bah bah bah bah bah."

daaebe8808dfbdb2ec5f0cc92e47eb2bx.jpg

Blah, Blah, Blah,Blah.......

kansas.jpg

kansascat.jpg

Hey Dave, how did you make out in the floods??

Attachments

• kansas.jpg
    kansas.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think there's hope for TK, he took a step forward last year, a step back this year, especially after Gordon took over. But he's only 21.

Different strokes for different folks, I think TK is one of those guys who needs hard coaching, it's not his motor that's in question but his hockey IQ, he needs to be sat on to keep him focused. I like him on a speed third line where he can skate and force the action, not on a top line with veterans where he is asked to play a more deliberate game - some players get in trouble when they think too much.

Voracek is what he is, he played harder this year, but he lacks the compete that's innate in someone like Giroux.
Some players like to make plays, some hate to lose.

I'm not sure what to make of JVR going forward, he skated much better the last couple months and was a solid winger in Toronto, albeit in a protected role with a veteran center (Bozak). JVR - Couts - Giroux (who started out as a RW, so it's not a stretch) might be worth going with next year - would JVR fit with Frost and ??? at RW. And if so, where does Farabee play?

Completely false. His stats are about the same. If he had a single extra point his production would be the same.

Hence why a critique of Gordon is that he isn't letting TK off the leash, just as it was for that moron Hakstol.

I'm sure this is where you'll respond by knowingly lying via dishonest usage of statistics.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Completely false. His stats are about the same. If he had a single extra point his production would be the same.

Hence why a critique of Gordon is that he isn't letting TK off the leash, just as it was for that moron Hakstol.

I'm sure this is where you'll respond by knowingly lying via dishonest usage of statistics.
i do think tk was more responsible defensively with hak. As he would be benched if not. But the whole team was. Gordon system isn’t as rigid. Funny cause I think one was too rigid it sucked the life out of the players. And the other is too free flying and slowing for bad habits.

It’s a wonder that these were the two system that the players were coached in this org. Like let’s teach the kids the complete opposite of what we will do in the nhl at the ahl level. Speaks volumes for the ability of the brass/hexy to judge coaching and nhl readiness

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
i do think tk was more responsible defensively with hak. As he would be benched if not. But the whole team was. Gordon system isn’t as rigid. Funny cause I think one was too rigid it sucked the life out of the players. And the other is too free flying and slowing for bad habits.

It’s a wonder that these were the two system that the players were coached in this org. Like let’s teach the kids the complete opposite of what we will do in the nhl at the ahl level. Speaks volumes for the ability of the brass/hexy to judge coaching and nhl readiness

Yeah, we had opposite coaches and it didn't make a lot of sense. Hextall was bad at coach selection.

You would think it wouldn't be this hard to find a happy medium between the two.

Reactions: Tripod and Adtar02

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
As for the the PK, people used to say Laughton sucked defensively, so it’s not as if being a PK player is reserved for hockey geniuses. If he can manage than who says Konecny couldn’t play there too? It’s worth a shot and even just the shorthanded threat could make an impact. Just look at how our PP regularly gets burned by fast PKers.

TK should take over for Laughton on the PK, got it. :speechles

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I beg to differ. Or is there not much reason to pay the remainder of their contracts for the year after they were eliminated?

To be realistic the chance of injury on the job is pretty high. They aren't going to the playoffs so if I was playing I wouldn't put myself in a position for that to happen. Finish the season out, train hard in the summer, and come back next season better. That's how I would look at it anyways.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Not "take over", just added to the rotation to see how it goes. What did we have to lose? He could have just replaced the little amount of time Knight was taking up.

And should I take the lack of response as you agreeing with what I said about the 5v5 icetime/lineup? We know it's possible, dipshit Hakstol managed, so there's no excuse for it to not increase next year.

In the 2nd half of last year TK averaged 15:17 at even strength (16:30 total, but that was with getting scratched during the Hakshell)...
In the 2nd half of this year he's averaging 13:38 at even strength (14:56 total).

It's going in the wrong direction, through not fault of his own. He's been playing great.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Gordor cares more about winning games then player development since he is coaching for his job. That's what it boils down to.
If that was the case, then he wouldn't have played Morin and Talbot in a game where they could've been eliminated on Saturday, much less it being against a team they needed to catch.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If that was the case, then he wouldn't have played Morin and Talbot in a game where they could've been eliminated on Saturday, much less it being against a team they needed to catch.

Fair enough.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

I would want to see one of our PKers have the devastating pace on the breakaway that TK has. Just puts that thought into the back of their mind that the cross-ice pass (our biggest weakness) could be disastrous.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You want Frost or Farabee on the PK in that case, smart players with good to great speed.
TK is a loose cannon at 5x5, scary to imagine him on the PK, Leier had very good speed but was an awful PK'er.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Laughton is also pretty quick, so we should probably replace Couturier or Lindblom with Konency.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
What’s happened here even after the playoffs got out of reach has been pretty disappointing.

I’m very concerned by the fact that Hagg couldn’t find himself on the bench just once after Morin became available. Looks like he’ll be a staple next season.

And not giving some younger phantoms with some upside a cup of coffee during this time while continuing to roll VDV equivalents out there (Varone, Knight, etc) is just asinine.

What has transpired with Talbot has been head scratcher as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad