Post-Game Talk: #80: FLYERS at Stars, Tuesday, April 2, 2019, 8:30 p.m. ET

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Provorov with 5 minutes more than Ghost tonight, despite Ghost EASILY being our best defensemen and Provorov making a huge mistake.

Also, TK doesn't crack 15 minutes, but Laughton and Lindblom play more than JVR, TK, Voracek.

Just horrible coaching.

And for the record, Hagg didn't get benched after that turnover. How about that selective accountability.

Why shouldn't Lindblom play more?
He might have been our best forward last night. He's a better player (not as talented, but plays much smarter) than TK.
Plus, at this point anyone under 25 should be getting the bulk of the minutes.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Overreaction much?
There isn't much core left to dismantle, Giroux, Couts, Voracek, JVR and Ghost, the rest are under 25 or scrubs.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I really hope the organisation (Fletcher) sacs the entire coaching staff immediately following the final game, then he dismantles the "core" of this lousy team!

Start with those losers Couturier and Giroux. They should of been traded years ago.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Overreaction much?
There isn't much core left to dismantle, Giroux, Couts, Voracek, JVR and Ghost, the rest are under 25 or scrubs.

JvR isn't really part of this core. He was just brought back to try and improve the core.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Missed the game. So frustrating that Hogg gets no leash at all. He's just a heavy, AHL turd. The ultimate will be his uninterrupted, continued role on this team. Such bullshit.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Laughton played 10:15 at 5on5, 4th lowest on the team. The game wasn't lost because of ice time distribution.

Philadelphia Flyers @ Dallas Stars, 2019-04-02
5v5, 4v4,5v4, 4v5... I don't really care about any of those individually. At the end of the day they need to find away to have Konecny on the ice more often. If they won't do it on special teams, then play him more at 5v5 to compensate. The speed and skill is wasted only playing 15 minutes per game.

A player like Laughton shouldn't spend more total time on the ice than TK, no matter where that icetime is coming from.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hagg didn't have a bad game, he's not the reason they're losing, same way the 7 minutes played by Varone, Bailey and Knight has had little impact on this team.

People fixate on scrubs, but scrubs aren't the reason you lose games (though having to play scrubs is one factor, i.e. lack of depth).

Reactions: BudEagle

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
5v5, 4v4,5v4, 4v5... I don't really care about any of those individually. At the end of the day they need to find away to have Konecny on the ice more often. If they won't do it on special teams, then play him more at 5v5 to compensate. The speed and skill is wasted only playing 15 minutes per game.

A player like Laughton shouldn't spend more total time on the ice than TK, no matter where that icetime is coming from.

That's a very child like way of looking at hockey, but I forget sometimes that you are only 12 years old.

Laughton is deservedly on the top PK unit. TK is deservedly not on the top PP uni, and the Flyers killed more penalties than they had powerplays.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
That's a very child like way of looking at hockey, but I forget sometimes that you are only 12 years old.

Laughton is deservedly on the top PK unit. TK is deservedly not on the top PP uni, and the Flyers killed more penalties than they had powerplays.

This is also why Ghost got less ice time last night than Provorov but... it's total time on ice that matters no matter how the game actually played out to some. Got it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

TK isn't a great player

2018-19: xGP -0.305, EV GAR 1.3, PP GAR 1.9, Pen GAR 1.6
2017-18: xGP 0.065, EV GAR 10.2, PP GAR -1.5, Pen GAR 1.3
2016-17: xGP -0.117, EV GAR 3.1, PP GAR -0.3, Pen GAR 2.1

He's really regressed this season, though he's becoming a positive on the PP, his ES play sucks.
His one strength is drawing penalties.

Lindblom
2018-19: xGP 0.118, EV GAR 4.2, PP GAR -0.2, Pen GAR 1.1

Lindblom doesn't have TK's raw talent, but he's bigger, smarter and tougher.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Actually I just turned 13 a few days ago. ;)

As for the the PK, people used to say Laughton sucked defensively, so it’s not as if being a PK player is reserved for hockey geniuses. If he can manage than who says Konecny couldn’t play there too? It’s worth a shot and even just the shorthanded threat could make an impact. Just look at how our PP regularly gets burned by fast PKers.

And even forgetting the PK, let’s not act like he couldn’t/shouldn’t get more even strength time. He should be back on the top line where he belongs, instead of randomly demoted to play with 3rd/4th liners. Even Hakstol managed to get him more icetime in the 2nd half of last year than he’s currently getting, so it’s perfectly reasonable to think he should be averaging more time per game.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Im not even watching games at this point. I haven't really watched much since the Chicago game. This team and organization are complete garbage with little to root for at this point. At least in years past when they sucked they hit, fought, and actually had something for me to watch rather then them turning the puck over in the neutral zone and getting beat to every puck.

So done with this season.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't mind seeing guys take some chances or some risks that may end up badly, but what I don't need to see right now is Giroux killing penalties, and probably not Couturier either. Give those roles to the players who need the work and experience.

Gordor cares more about winning games then player development since he is coaching for his job. That's what it boils down to.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Hagg didn't have a bad game, he's not the reason they're losing, same way the 7 minutes played by Varone, Bailey and Knight has had little impact on this team.

People fixate on scrubs, but scrubs aren't the reason you lose games (though having to play scrubs is one factor, i.e. lack of depth).

Scrubs are easily a reason you lose a game when they're relied upon heavily.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What scrub is relied upon heavily?
As Curufinwe pointed out, Hagg's minutes have been substantially reduced, the 4th line plays 7 minutes.
Pick your backup goalie, Hart can't start every game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad