Post-Game Talk: #80 | Bruins at Flyers | April 9, 2023

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
So, even though Torts wasn't here for most of the moves. It's his fault because you don't like him.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
So, even though Torts wasn't here for most of the moves. It's his fault because you don't like him.

I no longer have any idea what you're talking about. I blame him for what he's at fault for. Suppressing offense is his specialty. He has put systems in place which do that that. It is his doing. Who else should I blame for the things Tortorella does?

Again, I cannot emphasize this enough: it is not binary. Fletcher and Tortorella are both at fault for the team being bad.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
Let's face it, Fletcher sucked everywhere he went. He's gone. Fresh start for next year.

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
I no longer have any idea what you're talking about. I blame him for what he's at fault for. Suppressing offense is his specialty. He has put systems in place which do that that. It is his doing. Who else should I blame for the things Tortorella does?

Again, I cannot emphasize this enough: it is not binary. Fletcher and Tortorella are both at fault for the team being bad.
How about giving Torts some talent first. He hasn't had that to work with. At least be honest with that.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You can't win this argument because you blame everyone. Next you'll blame guys for being injured.

No I won't. But the training staff can be blamed for mishandling injuries.

Management is bad. Coaching is bad. It's that simple. The whole team is broken.

I don't have to win it. Reality speaks for itself.

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
How many coaches have won a Stanly Cup. How many have a better overall record. Quoting statistics is a funny thing. They only show what you want them to show. Of the total number of coaches How does Torts place? He must have done something right. In the top 20 all time, either 11 or 15 depending on which stats you use.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
How many coaches have won a Stanly Cup. How many have a better overall record. Quoting statistics is a funny thing. They only show what you want them to show. Of the total number of coaches How does Torts place? He must have done something right. In the top 20 all time, either 11 or 15 depending on which stats you use.
Maybe look into his more recent past.

Last 10 years
8 years coached
4 missed playoffs
3 1st rd exits
1 2nd rd exits
13-18 playoff record the last decade

His average reg season finish the last decade is 5th in the division....a division with 8 teams. His results have been 3rd, 4th, 4th, 5th, 5th, 7th, 7th, 8th.

So his "success" the last decade is 1 year not being a wild card team, beating annual losers Toronto in the play ins, and upsetting Tampa 1 year in the 1st rd.

All that non-success just to have a blowhard coach who wants to be the center of attention while also running players thru the mud or doing dumb shit like scratching them for their hometown returns. Oh, and openly saying he hates today's young players and hates skill.

I am sure next year will be different.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

It's been 20 years since he's won anything. The league has changed massively since then. So has he, he's gone from "safe is death" to the exact opposite. Which is not at all where the sport has gone.

Lindy Ruff has a lot more wins than Tortorella. And yet he's not a good coach.

Tortorella hates offense so much that he would take Barkov over McDavid and spent most of the year trying to make an offensively poor Cates his 1C. In hockey you win by scoring. Tortorella thinks you win by grinding.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Maybe look into his more recent past.

Last 10 years
8 years coached
4 missed playoffs
3 1st rd exits
1 2nd rd exits
13-18 playoff record the last decade

His average reg season finish the last decade is 5th in the division....a division with 8 teams. His results have been 3rd, 4th, 4th, 5th, 5th, 7th, 7th, 8th.

So his "success" the last decade is 1 year not being a wild card team, beating annual losers Toronto in the play ins, and upsetting Tampa 1 year in the 1st rd.

All that non-success just to have a blowhard coach who wants to be the center of attention while also running players thru the mud or doing dumb shit like scratching them for their hometown returns. Oh, and openly saying he hates today's young players and hates skill.

I am sure next year will be different.
Of course, it doesn't help to take over terrible teams.
Much more effective to take over talented teams if you want good coaching statistics.
Like Lavi taking over a Caps team that had played at a 100 point pace the previous seven seasons.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Much more effective to take over talented teams if you want good coaching statistics.
Like Lavi taking over a Caps team that had played at a 100 point pace the previous seven seasons.
Did anyone else seek to interview John Tortorella besides the Flyers?

File that one under things that make you go hmm...

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Canucks season before Torts....101 pt pace
Canucks season with Torts...83 pts
Canucks Season after Torts....101 pts

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
It's been 20 years since he's won anything. The league has changed massively since then. So has he, he's gone from "safe is death" to the exact opposite. Which is not at all where the sport has gone.

Lindy Ruff has a lot more wins than Tortorella. And yet he's not a good coach.

Tortorella hates offense so much that he would take Barkov over McDavid and spent most of the year trying to make an offensively poor Cates his 1C. In hockey you win by scoring. Tortorella thinks you win by grinding.
In Your Opinion. Let's see if Briere gets him players that can score.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
In Your Opinion. Let's see if Briere gets him players that can score.

He's had players that can score. He suppresses their scoring.

He doesn't want players that score, he wants grinders. That's not my opinion, that's what he said. None of this is opinion. This is all straight out of his own mouth, and also supported by his actual behavior and on-ice results.

If you have a problem with that, then you have a problem with Tortorella and don't realize it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Why do message boards encourage bad manners?
Or do they just reveal character?
They do. And everything I said is a truth, unlike yourself.

You said Torts joined bad team.
I showed you he joined a 101 point team
So you lied

Now imagine if you said, "oh shit, I didn't realize the Canucks were that good when he joined them. My bad."

Instead you do what you always do and go in to another stat to try and make yourself look better and ignore your lie or mistake. You want to ignore it, then expect to be called out as lying. Acknowledging it as a mistake, and people move on as we all make them. But that's not in your DNA. And thats why you get called out for them.

Let's move on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad