20230112_002445.gif

I was wondering why this thread was still popping up :laugh:

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I never said they are better than they are. But I do see a lot of improvement. You should learn to admit that some of our problems were due to injuries of key players that were counted on. Fletcher was a disaster because of his inability to adjust his .personnel. But tanking is never the way to build a team. If you can't see the difference in the way the team is changing it's style of play under Torts it's because you just don't like him.
Tanking has worked for some. So using a word like never makes you wrong right from the start.

It's not that we just don't like the style it's we know it doesn't work. Making it past the first round 3 times in 16 seasons isn't something to hang your hat on in a league that half the teams make the playoffs.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Not just "some," tanking has worked for almost every Cup winner of the Cap era. I think the exceptions are St Louis, Boston, Anaheim, and Detroit? With the latter two riding largely pre-cap rosters.

Boston also had a recent #2 overall playing for them too, but meh on that.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Not just "some," tanking has worked for almost every Cup winner of the Cap era. I think the exceptions are St Louis, Boston, Anaheim, and Detroit? With the latter two riding largely pre-cap rosters.

Boston also had a recent #2 overall playing for them too, but meh on that.

Yes but we are modeling after the Islanders, and Blue Jackets.

Apparently interviewing people from the beacon of light, that is the Vancouver Canucks. :laugh:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The greatest lie ever told was that John Tortorella knows how to win.

Big facts

He's coached 21 seasons in the NHL.

His teams have failed to advance to the postseason in 9 of 21 seasons.
His teams have failed to advance past the 1st round in 16 of 21 seasons
His teams have failed to advance past the 2nd round in 19 of 21 seasons.

He's a mediocre at best coach with a bombastic personality that smooth brains are attracted to for some reason.

If the Flyers defense wasn't so decimated in 2004 that Sami Kapanen was playing D, would Torts still even be getting jobs? He has been living off of 2004 and his big mouth ever since.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Big facts

He's coached 21 seasons in the NHL.

His teams have failed to advance to the postseason in 9 of 21 seasons.
His teams have failed to advance past the 1st round in 16 of 21 seasons
His teams have failed to advance past the 2nd round in 19 of 21 seasons.

He's a mediocre at best coach with a bombastic personality that smooth brains are attracted to for some reason.

If the Flyers defense wasn't so decimated in 2004 that Sami Kapanen was playing D, would Torts still even be getting jobs? He has been living off of 2004 and his big mouth ever since.
I only went back to 2004 since he won that cup and that is used as a main reason to hire him so his track record after that was what I wanted to focus on.

Reactions: Rebels57

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
Wanting a team of shooters with as little passing as possible is like building a basketball team from guys who can only dunk or a football team that focuses solely on running goal line plays in all situations.
Where did I say not to pass. If you have the shot, take it. This team has a habit of passing into traffic or passing too much and then losing out on scoring opportunities. You grasping at straws for the sake of your argument.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Where did I say not to pass. If you have the shot, take it. This team has a habit of passing into traffic or passing too much and then losing out on scoring opportunities. You grasping at straws for the sake of your argument.

This team isn't even focused systemically on generating many chances from HD areas to begin with. That's Tortorella Hockey. Good teams get the puck to someone in the high slot and they'll push up to try and make something happen. Tortorella can't tolerate the risk of them losing the puck there so the Flyers Play is to push it out to the perimeter and get it low to try and slog it out. Having more of a shooter mentality isn't going to make a difference when the players are told to be safe.

The Flyers don't have a problem with passing on chances to shoot. They have a problem with generating good shooting chances, by design. That's why I'm baffled by your claim. It's not the problem.

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
I don't know what team your watching but I see a ton of bad passes "WHEN" there are shots to take. Passes into traffic. Bad passes that don't connect and just waiting too long to decide whether to pass or shoot. That's on the player to use hockey sense. It seems like Tippet and Konecney understand that if you shoot you might actually score, something we don't do alot.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't know what team your watching but I see a ton of bad passes "WHEN" there are shots to take. Passes into traffic. Bad passes that don't connect and just waiting too long to decide whether to pass or shoot. That's on the player to use hockey sense. It seems like Tippet and Konecney understand that if you shoot you might actually score, something we don't do alot.
They don't have a lot of great shooters right now, but that will change.
Foerster and Gauthier have better shots than anyone on the current roster.
Attard has a better shot than any D-man on the roster.
Brink is a good shooter.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Passing quality dips when you trade away all your playmakers? Shocking stuff. Sounds like a good reason to have playmakers instead of loading up on human turrets.

Also, what shots? This team abhors creating quality chances. Too risky. And they love pounding shots into blocked lanes without a moment of hesitation.

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
Passing quality dips when you trade away all your playmakers? Shocking stuff. Sounds like a good reason to have playmakers instead of loading up on human turrets.

Also, what shots? This team abhors creating quality chances. Too risky. And they love pounding shots into blocked lanes without a moment of hesitation.

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
Well, who traded away all the passers? I don't think Torts had any hand in it.

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
You can't have it both ways. We can't pass or shoot, but it's the coaches fault.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad