Post-Game Talk: #8| Red Wings at FLYERS |Sat., Oct. 25, 2014|

bauerhockey02

Mar 15, 2009
He is healthier ! Yes he is slow, but he is one of those guys you need out front against some of those big Western Conf clubs etc. Grossman blocks a ton of shots, hits like a train etc, Hopefully our D gets healthy to where the old warhorse don't have to log as many minutes .

Isn't he the one who was outmuscled in front of the net by Patrick Kane a couple times just a few games ago?

bauerhockey02

Mar 15, 2009
The Kings weren't just any old 8 seed that year, though. Their roster was (and still is) so much more complete than ours.

Anyway, that was a weird game. I feel like it makes up for that game at the beginning of last year where we really had the advantage possession wise, and still wound up losing.

I was hoping Couts would factor into the scoring again, though. Like most young players, he needs to find consistency. It's going to be hard for him though if he's only getting 1 or 2 offensive zone draws a night.

Thank you! Comparing this roster, especially the D, to that Kings team...just wow. :help:

RJ8812*

A little early for this opinion in my view ? Its not how you start its how you finish . You never really know what can happen late in the season. Kings were in 8th place a few years back and won the cup . Trades, injuries, prospects called up and playing well, a hot goalie, hot line etc all can push a team forward . What is interesting about this club is even though they have not played well they are there at the end with a chance to win...It will be interesting to see what kind of damage this club can do when they start playing well ?

you're just in denial if you actually think this team can compete with any of the contenders in a 7 game series. Yes, it's great to be optimistic, but this year isnt the year to be optimistic with this roster. Our blueline and overall defensive play is atrocious.

And I'm not even going to comment on you potentially comparing this current team to the Kings that won the Cup after finishing 8th.

Get rid of the fat (Lecavalier, Schenn, Grossmann, MacDonald) and look to the future

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
In other news, Frank Seravalli is silly and thinks Sam Morin can be recalled at any time. His reasoning is that Claude Giroux was - yet, he doesn't realize that was on an emergency basis.

Yes, he's appallingly dumb for an alleged pro. And he can't be recalled while injured ANYWAY, since Rimouski would have to agree.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
In other news, Frank Seravalli is silly and thinks Sam Morin can be recalled at any time. His reasoning is that Claude Giroux was - yet, he doesn't realize that was on an emergency basis.

I remember Giroux being able to come up from Juniors but what was the emergency basis situation? I don't remember the exact details of what was going on with the Flyers at the time.

RJ8812*

I remember Giroux being able to come up from Juniors but what was the emergency basis situation? I don't remember the exact details of what was going on with the Flyers at the time.

injuries and any Phantom wouldnt have been able to make it in time since they were on a road trip out West

SgtJoseph*

you're just in denial if you actually think this team can compete with any of the contenders in a 7 game series. Yes, it's great to be optimistic, but this year isnt the year to be optimistic with this roster. Our blueline and overall defensive play is atrocious.

And I'm not even going to comment on you potentially comparing this current team to the Kings that won the Cup after finishing 8th.

Get rid of the fat (Lecavalier, Schenn, Grossmann, MacDonald) and look to the future

My comparison to the Kings was simply my pointing out its how you finish not how you start.......I knew some on here would knee jerk my post, go figure .

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
My comparison to the Kings was simply my pointing out its how you finish not how you start.......I knew some on here would knee jerk my post, go figure .

It's not really a realistic comparison. The Kings were like the 09-10 Flyers; pre-season Cup favorites with a strong roster that underperformed until coaches were changed, and players added that topped off the roster.

This Flyers team isn't like either of those teams. It's not realistic to think they can finish 8th and drive to the Finals. This isn't a team with a strong roster that's underperforming, it's a team with a flawed roster playing like a team with a flawed roster.

MadFerIt95*

MacDonald doesnt deserve to be put into the category of Vinny, Schenn, and Grossmann. I don't like the contract aat all but he is not a terrible player.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I mean, he might be terrible towards the end of that contract, MacD doesn't strike me as a dman who'll age gracefully. But right now it's not an issue.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
It's not really a realistic comparison. The Kings were like the 09-10 Flyers; pre-season Cup favorites with a strong roster that underperformed until coaches were changed, and players added that topped off the roster.

This Flyers team isn't like either of those teams. It's not realistic to think they can finish 8th and drive to the Finals. This isn't a team with a strong roster that's underperforming, it's a team with a flawed roster playing like a team with a flawed roster.

To be fair, his point still stands. At least my interpretation wasn't that he implied that we would drive to the SCF like the Kings or 2010 Flyers did, but simply that this Flyers team has a level they can get to that they haven't yet played at. Basically, the season can still very possibly be salvaged. I don't think even the most delusional of fans would suggest this team is winning a Cup or even challenging for it.

MadFerIt95*

I mean, he might be terrible towards the end of that contract, MacD doesn't strike me as a dman who'll age gracefully. But right now it's not an issue.

Fine, but player wise he is not a detriment to the team at the moment.

bauerhockey02

Mar 15, 2009
To be fair, his point still stands. At least my interpretation wasn't that he implied that we would drive to the SCF like the Kings or 2010 Flyers did, but simply that this Flyers team has a level they can get to that they haven't yet played at. Basically, the season can still very possibly be salvaged. I don't think even the most delusional of fans would suggest this team is winning a Cup or even challenging for it.

Eh, he was specifically stating this in response to, "let's not sugarcoat it though. This team still wont go anywhere in the playoffs". If there wasn't the response to that quote and had brought up last years team (even though last years issues and this years aren't exactly the same) instead of the 2012 Kings then I would completely agree with what you are saying here.

It is just a very curious comparison to use when combined with what they quoted when responding.

SgtJoseph*

Thank you for being reasonable in your analysis of what i was implying,much appreciated .

bauerhockey02

Mar 15, 2009
Thank you for being reasonable in your analysis of what i was implying,much appreciated .

You literally disagreed with someone else saying the Flyers weren't going to make a lot of noise in the playoffs before using the King's comparison. It isn't unreasonable to think you were trying to say they could challenge.

Also if you knew that the King's comparison would get the reaction it did then why make it? There are other examples you could have used which would not have had such a reaction when combined with the post you were replying to.

SgtJoseph*

You literally disagreed with someone else saying the Flyers weren't going to make a lot of noise in the playoffs before using the King's comparison. It isn't unreasonable to think you were trying to say they could challenge.

Also if you knew that the King's comparison would get the reaction it did then why make it? There are other examples you could have used which would not have had such a reaction when combined with the post you were replying to.

I rekon the term " a lot of noise" can be interpreted a couple different ways . One could say we made a lot of noise last year by going to a game 7 against the eventual Stanley cup finals team ? And others would say it was ho-hum . Our club could absolutely do the same or better in my view . I try and look at the cup half full instead of half Empty, which some may view as " wishful thinking " or "whistling past the grave yard " . Of course there are changes that can /and will be made over the season, but mean while i try and stay positive about our club, the current players, etc .

Just about every opinion expressed on here will draw opposite opinions, and at times Ire, or criticism about ones " Hockey knowledge" etc .. Its part of the fun of being a fan .....I give my fare share certainly, BUT i in no way dislike anyone on here for their views no matter how crazy and at times heated the banter can become at times .

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
I rekon the term " a lot of noise" can be interpreted a couple different ways . One could say we made a lot of noise last year by going to a game 7 against the eventual Stanley cup finals team ? And others would say it was ho-hum . Our club could absolutely do the same or better in my view . I try and look at the cup half full instead of half Empty, which some may view as " wishful thinking " or "whistling past the grave yard " . Of course there are changes that can /and will be made over the season, but mean while i try and stay positive about our club, the current players, etc .

Just about every opinion expressed on here will draw opposite opinions, and at times Ire, or criticism about ones " Hockey knowledge" etc .. Its part of the fun of being a fan .....I give my fare share certainly, BUT i in no way dislike anyone on here for their views no matter how crazy and at times heated the banter can become at times .

Hey, I won't blame anybody for being optimistic. It can make life seem a hell of a lot better, and I wish I could be as optimistic about the Flyers as I was when I was a kid. :laugh:

Anyway, what I inferred from your original comment that started this discussion was that you were comparing the Flyers and Kings directly, which, yeah... That's definitely some optimism right there. But now I see that it was a little more grounded than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad