Post-Game Talk: #8| Red Wings at FLYERS |Sat., Oct. 25, 2014|

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
No way they'll be able to get Sekera for cheap. He will be one of the most sought after defenseman at the deadline

If anything, a successful deadline for us would be moving any of Lecavalier, Grossmann, Schenn and MacDonald

I couldn't agree more with the second part. I feel we need to be patient with this team this year. Sink or swim no panic trades or trading Simmonds for D. Do nothing but get rid of these contracts at the deadline and I will very happy with Hextall.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
not that it would be tough to improve upon, but grossman has looked better than last year. As slow as he is, it looks like he is moving a tad faster... maybe from slug to turtle mode. He has shown a few times this season a willingness to jump into plays or take shots, where he wouldnt have done that in the past.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The injuries sucked but at least they broke up the horrendous MDZ-LSchenn pairing.

They had good possession numbers, but their GF/20 was 0.702 and their GA/20 was a ridiculous 2.106. :scared:

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
I don't understand those who want to just dump MacDonald's contract. What's the point? Trade him and pay Petry $5+ million instead?

$5m is the new normal for a mobile 2nd pairing UFA defenseman.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That second period was both a disaster and reassuring. First, Detroit owned it. But, despite the constant pressure, the flyers shut down the passing lanes to keep Detroit from moving the puck on emery...when he's on, he's going to make those saves he's in position for and he was on last night. Its no good seeing them pinned eternally but everyone made the best of it.

Solefool

Jul 2, 2013
Ghost looked solid out there. Only negatives I can think of were:

- He had an sloppy turnover in the defensive end.
- He iced the puck in a bad spot.
- On the play that lead to the goal, he over pursued in the neutral zone and wound up losing his stick.

Other than that, he looked poised with the puck, great outlet passer and dangerous playing the point. He only registered 1 shot on goal, but he fired off a good 3-4 shots from the point. I think he's gonna be a stud. Definitely needs a little more seasoning, though.

SgtJoseph*

This. The Flyers weren't as bad in this game as some are making them out to be. They generally played pretty tight in their own zone and kept the shots to the outside. Emery was good but he didn't have many tough saves.

As an old goalie i agree with this ....The Flyers did a nice job keeping the Wings to the outside preventing a lot of quality scoring chances . The times that Detroit did get shots from the slot etc Ray came up big . Ray has a better than Avg glove hand as well in my view . Nice win !

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Ray is good when he can stand in front of the puck. He didn't have to move laterally too much, but when he did, he looked more mobile than I've seen him in awhile, albeit still slowish, but he got it done.

That defense got peppered but they did a good job making sure Ray was able to see the puck. Emery is a wall when he's able to keep the puck in front of him as it comes in. He gets wrecked on 2nd chances that force him to go post to post.

That being said: He played well, but Mason is the better netminder.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
Raffl/Giroux/Voracek
Schenn/Laughton/Simmonds
Umberger/Couturier/Read
Rinaldo/White/Bellemare

Gostisbehere/Coburn
MacDonald/Schenn
Grossmann/Streit
Schultz

Mason
Emery

Later on down the road if we make the playoffs! This needs to be our team!

SgtJoseph*

let's not sugarcoat it though. This team still wont go anywhere in the playoffs

A little early for this opinion in my view ? Its not how you start its how you finish . You never really know what can happen late in the season. Kings were in 8th place a few years back and won the cup . Trades, injuries, prospects called up and playing well, a hot goalie, hot line etc all can push a team forward . What is interesting about this club is even though they have not played well they are there at the end with a chance to win...It will be interesting to see what kind of damage this club can do when they start playing well ?

SgtJoseph*

This is breathtakingly bad analysis of the game. Ghost was not having the best time of it in the 2nd and was partly at fault for the Datysuk goal on his only shift in the 3rd. Of course he was going to be stapled to the bench after that.

Berube went with his five experienced guys on D and they won the game. Save the Berube bashing for when he does something dumb.

Great point, and its exactly what happened in my view . Berube knows a helluva lot more about his club than any of us do .

SgtJoseph*

I ignore posters who are constantly proposing trades as some sort of solution - that's how we got in this hole in the first place! Part of building a good team is continuity, yes, you need to make trades at times to shift assets or break a team out of its complacency, but not as the answer to every issue, patching one hole by creating two more is no way to keep a ship afloat.

Raffl is coming along like I expected, his added strength shows up along the boards, and he fits just fine with G and V, let them grow together.

Bellamare will improve as the season proceeds, he's new to NA hockey, and seems a half step behind in his timing, probably not used to how fast you have to make decisions in smaller rinks, but he has speed, can shoot and isn't afraid to go into dark places.

Umberger is starting to look respectable, he's not going to play up to his salary, but if he's a solid wing with Couts, that's still addition by subtraction with Hartnell gone.

They do miss Rinaldo (at least the non mind fart penalty version) - Jones was pretty bad, and the fourth line isn't creating pressure the way it did with Bellamare/Rinaldo paired with anyone.

Grossman and Schenn are tough but lack skating and passing skills, but would be fine if paired with a puck moving defenseman who can pass. Which is probably why Ghost, not Alt or Hagg, was brought up. Del Zotto is never going to be a good defensive defenseman, but has offensive skills, it's going to be tough the next month, but when Coburn and McDonald comes back, they just might have a good feel for pairings that work.

This was outstanding ! Well said and absolutely right in my view !

SgtJoseph*

not that it would be tough to improve upon, but grossman has looked better than last year. As slow as he is, it looks like he is moving a tad faster... maybe from slug to turtle mode. He has shown a few times this season a willingness to jump into plays or take shots, where he wouldnt have done that in the past.

He is healthier ! Yes he is slow, but he is one of those guys you need out front against some of those big Western Conf clubs etc. Grossman blocks a ton of shots, hits like a train etc, Hopefully our D gets healthy to where the old warhorse don't have to log as many minutes .

Willis88

Oct 5, 2011
Philadelphia
In other news, Frank Seravalli is silly and thinks Sam Morin can be recalled at any time. His reasoning is that Claude Giroux was - yet, he doesn't realize that was on an emergency basis.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
A little early for this opinion in my view ? Its not how you start its how you finish . You never really know what can happen late in the season. Kings were in 8th place a few years back and won the cup . Trades, injuries, prospects called up and playing well, a hot goalie, hot line etc all can push a team forward . What is interesting about this club is even though they have not played well they are there at the end with a chance to win...It will be interesting to see what kind of damage this club can do when they start playing well ?

The Kings weren't just any old 8 seed that year, though. Their roster was (and still is) so much more complete than ours.

Anyway, that was a weird game. I feel like it makes up for that game at the beginning of last year where we really had the advantage possession wise, and still wound up losing.

I was hoping Couts would factor into the scoring again, though. Like most young players, he needs to find consistency. It's going to be hard for him though if he's only getting 1 or 2 offensive zone draws a night.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Just realized that Giroux is leading the NHL in shots on goal (only shooting 5% which is really unlucky).

Really glad that he's shooting as much as he is. The goals will come.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
The need for a first line sniper is greatly overstated. Giroux and Voracek both shoot much more than fans realize.

If anything, a 1LW would be brought in so Voracek could play with Read and Couturier. Otherwise, I'm not concerned with anybody bringing down Giroux and Voracek (other than Rinaldo). They'll get their points regardless.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If Giroux keeps shooting this much the goals will eventually start coming, the entire line has been great and they still have room to improve.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Giroux and Voracek both look like they've realized they need to shoot. Which is great since both can set each other up and both can shoot.

Since he has come here, Voracek's shot has improved immensely. It was just bad when he first was acquired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad