Post-Game Talk: #8| Red Wings at FLYERS |Sat., Oct. 25, 2014|

AFTeRMaTH*

Schenn + Schenn for Sekera + Gerbe

Flyers get a top pairing defenseman and a winger capable of playing with Couturier.

Carolina gets two young brothers (they love brothers!) and McDavid/Eichal.

How about Schenns for Faulk.... Id even throw in a 3rd. Carolina wouldnt bite though. So sure I would do that, same for Josi.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Luke seems to play better the more ice time he gets...at least that's the way it seems.

I've also noticed this. Some of his best games came late in his first year here when the blue line was decimated and he got big minutes.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
How about Schenns for Faulk.... Id even throw in a 3rd. Carolina wouldnt bite though. So sure I would do that, same for Josi.

I'd honestly rather have a signed Sekera than Faulk at this point and I was thinking Sekera was being sold because of his UFA status.

You call that buying low? My god. That's horrible.

I wouldn't call that one buying low. But remember, this is a defenseman that will play in every situation and leads a team in PP/SH TOI.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'd honestly rather have a signed Sekera than Faulk at this point and I was thinking Sekera was being sold because of his UFA status.

I wouldn't call that one buying low. But remember, this is a defenseman that will play in every situation and leads a team in PP/SH TOI.

See for me, if we were giving up the Schenn's for him as suggested above, I would rather Faulk. He is a long term RHD to compliment all the LHD we have coming. Plus he is 22...not 28. And he is signed for the next 6 years for under 5 mill per season. How many top pairing dmen can we say that about?

Morin Faulk
Sanheim Ghost
Hagg Coburn
Alt

That looks like a great D to me.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
See for me, if we were giving up the Schenn's for him as suggested above, I would rather Faulk. He is a long term RHD to compliment all the LHD we have coming. Plus he is 22...not 28. And he is signed for the next 6 years for under 5 mill per season. How many top pairing dmen can we say that about?

Morin Faulk
Sanheim Ghost
Hagg Coburn
Alt

That looks like a great D to me.

I don't see Carolina trading their young and locked up defenseman.

I'd also feel good with a little bit of leadership on the defense down the road.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Have to disagree with the "L Schenn played ok" consensus. I thought he was pretty terrible with the puck. Lots of sloppy outlets, hesitation, clumsy passes.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
I'm beginning to think... could Raffl actually be the long-term answer at 1LW?

He's young enough and has improved exponentially since he came here, and has continued to improve.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Have to disagree with the "L Schenn played ok" consensus. I thought he was pretty terrible with the puck. Lots of sloppy outlets, hesitation, clumsy passes.

Not sure..he seemed "ok" to me and I'm obviously not his biggest backer. I still don't think he will have a long career here and has been probably "For Sale" for some time now...but when he does keep things simple he is "serviceable."

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA

He's young enough and has improved exponentially since he came here, and has continued to improve.

would make a huge difference if he could pot a few goals. he seems to be able to consistently get into position to not finish....hes 90% of a really good forward if he can just add the scoring element it would be awesome. tonite on his breif breakaway i had just enough time to think..... awwwww damn its raffl.....but he shut me up. good for him. great goal. heres hoping it really is a confidence issue and he can turn it around.

flyersfromquebec

Jul 22, 2012
needed for what? cap purposes?

You can't tell me that if a GM came knocking at the door asking for MacDonald, Hextall wouldnt be all over that

Im not in favor of trading Macdonald. Remind me of Carle but better. Everyone wanna trade him, every game its his fault but the real thing happening here is name GROSSMANN, he downgrade the team not Macdonald.

IMO even L.Schenn can be a ok 5-6 D. When Morin will come or another big D is acquired then ok. He played well tonight with 20+ min.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I'm going to go with a no. I don't even think he's a shoe-in to play with that line for the whole year. The moment Giroux & Voracek hit a funk you'll likely see him pulled off the line again like last year.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Nice to see they escaped with a win; Schenn scored just as I was walking out the door.

Ghost looked pretty good, outside of that one horrible turnover.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Im not in favor of trading Macdonald. Remind me of Carle but better. Everyone wanna trade him, every game its his fault but the real thing happening here is name GROSSMANN, he downgrade the team not Macdonald.

IMO even L.Schenn can be a ok 5-6 D. When Morin will come or another big D is acquired then ok. He played well tonight with 20+ min.

idk, we don't have many offensive defenseman that can jump into the play like Grossmann can. We need to keep goal scorers like him :sarcasm:

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Emery stole that. Ghost was good early, but Berube benched him after the losing the stick and Jones fail to get the puck out of the second goal. Raffl looks infinitely better than he did the first few games.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I want to see PEB on that line, honestly. But that's probably just wishful thinking.

I think with PEB, he is a good complimentary player but by keeping him on lines 3 and 4, he excels and looks better. I think if you move him up, he becomes a bit less effective. And playing the 3rd line with Schenn and Simmonds is not too shabby considering they produce like a 2nd line anyways.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
PEB has 4c written all over him. Not that he can't be effective there, though.

I think Raffl deserves some more time on line 1. He's shown flashes up there.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I ignore posters who are constantly proposing trades as some sort of solution - that's how we got in this hole in the first place! Part of building a good team is continuity, yes, you need to make trades at times to shift assets or break a team out of its complacency, but not as the answer to every issue, patching one hole by creating two more is no way to keep a ship afloat.

Raffl is coming along like I expected, his added strength shows up along the boards, and he fits just fine with G and V, let them grow together.

Bellamare will improve as the season proceeds, he's new to NA hockey, and seems a half step behind in his timing, probably not used to how fast you have to make decisions in smaller rinks, but he has speed, can shoot and isn't afraid to go into dark places.

Umberger is starting to look respectable, he's not going to play up to his salary, but if he's a solid wing with Couts, that's still addition by subtraction with Hartnell gone.

They do miss Rinaldo (at least the non mind fart penalty version) - Jones was pretty bad, and the fourth line isn't creating pressure the way it did with Bellamare/Rinaldo paired with anyone.

Grossman and Schenn are tough but lack skating and passing skills, but would be fine if paired with a puck moving defenseman who can pass. Which is probably why Ghost, not Alt or Hagg, was brought up. Del Zotto is never going to be a good defensive defenseman, but has offensive skills, it's going to be tough the next month, but when Coburn and McDonald comes back, they just might have a good feel for pairings that work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad