GDT: 8|Pittsburgh Penguins @ Calgary Flames|10-25-18|9:00PM EST|Again! Again! Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Something neat I just saw, the Penguins haven't beat the Flames in regulation since Mike Johnston was the coach. That fact got me thinking, I have a question for someone that understands tactics well. Did we ever see Johnston's actual system with the Penguins? The system he wanted to run with, the one that got him hired? I wanted to think about how the team plays differently now than it did then, but then I realized I don't really remember the system that Johnston wanted that team to play with. I only remember his "turtle and try not to lose" system.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Why cant Bellerive and Hallander be ready now?

Guentzel - Crosby - Sprong
Hagelin - Malkin - Kessel
Bellerive - Brassard - Hallander
Rust - Cullen/Sheahan - Hornqvist

3a 3b for bottom 6 usage.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Something neat I just saw, the Penguins haven't beat the Flames in regulation since Mike Johnston was the coach. That fact got me thinking, I have a question for someone that understands tactics well. Did we ever see Johnston's actual system with the Penguins? The system he wanted to run with, the one that got him hired? I wanted to think about how the team plays differently now than it did then, but then I realized I don't really remember the system that Johnston wanted that team to play with. I only remember his "turtle and try not to lose" system.
Thought his system was different vs the teams he was up against? at least that's what I vaguely remember him saying. I guess he had a counter vs every system he wanted to use but forgot what he was hired to do.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Thought his system was different vs the teams he was up against? at least that's what I vaguely remember him saying. I guess he had a counter vs every system he wanted to use but forgot what he was hired to do.

I don't remember that, but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. The dude was way too much of an egg-head to be an effective NHL coach, and I'm saying that as a nuclear engineer.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Hamonic is confirmed to be playing, Valimaki will be sitting out.

Also my date had to cancel on me tonight, sooo I am taking a random tinder girl to the game. Hopefully I don’t get murdered, but someone else will have to keep the Tom Hanks gif spirit alive!

giphy.gif
Or she may turn out to be the girl of your dreams and you'll live happily ever after.

Or she will murder you.

Either way hope our guys win!

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
I thought his system was to try to look as confused as possible in hopes it would translate to the opposing team.

Reactions: Andy99

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't get why the Pens vs Flames game isn't on, and it kills me to say this, on cable in this area.

How? Why is the Caps vs Oilers on every f***ing channel?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I will not be happy if Riikola is out. I said it at the beginning of the season when he sat. It's sending the wrong message. You cannot just blame the younger new player who is playing well in favor of guys like Maatta and Johnson. It's unacceptable.

If Sprong sits, though? I don't give a shit. He deserves to.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Johnston changed the way he played in the second year because he didn’t like our group of defenders. Probably started to change at the end of his first year because of injuries to the D. Also remember at least a couple games of 5D because JR had us to close to the cap :laugh:

Johnston ****ed up by not sticking to the system he really wanted then bugging JR to change the roster. If you get fired at least you’ve done it your way instead of what he came up with.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I will not be happy if Riikola is out. I said it at the beginning of the season when he sat. It's sending the wrong message. You cannot just blame the younger new player who is playing well in favor of guys like Maatta and Johnson. It's unacceptable.

If Sprong sits, though? I don't give a ****. He deserves to.

Honestly, on D, Maatta should be sitting.

Reactions: ColePens
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino