GDT: #8 | Oilers at FLYERS | Sat. Oct. 21, 1:00 pm ET| NBCSP, SNW

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
John Boruk on NBC Sports Phil called the oilers a speedy team. I beg to disagree. You have McDavid who in my opinion is the best player in the NHL and the fastest skater. But for the most part the team is very slow. The Flyers should be all over this team. I hope Manning is held out so that we do not get caught up in all the BS they may to try to slow things down. If we do not score at least four goals I will be disappointed. I will give them a pass losing last night but just a little one. I have a feeling we may see Matt Read who was ripping it apart in LV. NAK and Vecchione should have gotten a shot over Matt unless it was a showcase for a trade;)

Flyers are an exciting team. Can't wait for a high scoring affair ! The Oilers do have some flyers, other then McDavid, Yamamoto, Nurse, RNH has great edgework, If Draisaitl plays, then our team speed gets up another notch, throw in Caggiula because he is also injured and the Oilers become very speedy. Andrej Sekera's puck moving ability from the backend is severely missed. Our problem is guys like Lucic, Maroon, Malone, Gryba. Those guys can definitely be exposed.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The improvement on the PP is that we have a legitimate PP2 that may be as good as the PP1 unit.
It'll get better when we replace Voracek with someone with a chance of hitting the net with a shot.

Our depth is so much better than the last five years, the complaint with an injury is we might have to dress Lehtera or Read as our 12th forward and Weise as our 11th forward - when was the last time our scrubs were legitimate NHL players? I'd just point out that our 10-15 players in terms of ES time per game last year were Read, Weise, Cousins, PEB, Luby, VdV.

Now in two years we'll be calling up guys from the AHL who could crack the 3rd lines of most NHL teams.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I would put Manning in over AMac and have Provorov and Gudas match up with McDavid. Time to let this Manning thing go

Nah. It's an incredible ongoing troll job by a player who has done the work and is respected not only in the room, but also around the league. Let him get his shots in while he can. The whole Whinegate (TM) saga last year was a grave injustice to our canine pal, who would never hurt a fly on purpose. Unless the fly dropped the gloves first - then Mandog would **** him up with his mad boxing skills.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I mean Flip is basically standing around doing nothing on 95% of the PPs, but I have liked how much more Giroux and Voracek are working the seam passes to each other. I remember TK saying that Knoblauch uses statistics to identify what plays are the highest %......and I know manual tracking has pointed to that play as one of the highest percentage scoring plays, if it goes through. Maybe my eyes are deceiving me, but they seem to be looking for it a little more.

And I know people convulsed when Jake and Giroux purposefully switched spots a few times the last couple games, but I liked that too. The players have also been talking about the PPs constantly changing, shift to shift and game to game, to keep opponents guessing. Given the stale predictability issue of the Flyers PP in recent years, I can dig confusing the PKers. Like the PP2, not that team's heavily plan around it, switched the formation a couple games ago, and they could switch right back at any time. The creativity is fantastic. I'm sure we'll keep seeing weird stuff added in.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Yesterday he was confused why Rubtsov didn't get named to a team for Canadians. Today he suggests Manning should play because he might be in McDavid's head. Now Laughton is the key to stopping a guy who is pretty much matchup proof? WTF? If anything, we do have a different center who kind of has a reputation for stopping big name centers.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, Laughton has a chance to catch up to him before he puts the rebound in the net.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I mean Flip is basically standing around doing nothing on 95% of the PPs, but I have liked how much more Giroux and Voracek are working the seam passes to each other. I remember TK saying that Knoblauch uses statistics to identify what plays are the highest %......and I know manual tracking has pointed to that play as one of the highest percentage scoring plays, if it goes through. Maybe my eyes are deceiving me, but they seem to be looking for it a little more.

And I know people convulsed when Jake and Giroux purposefully switched spots a few times the last couple games, but I liked that too. The players have also been talking about the PPs constantly changing, shift to shift and game to game, to keep opponents guessing. Given the stale predictability issue of the Flyers PP in recent years, I can dig confusing the PKers. Like the PP2, not that team's heavily plan around it, switched the formation a couple games ago, and they could switch right back at any time. The creativity is fantastic. I'm sure we'll keep seeing weird stuff added in.

I like the fact that PP1 isn't static, and the PP2 has a lot of talented young guys who are getting real PP time and should improve as the season progresses.
One benefit of two units is you don't have to leave one unit on until their legs are lead, making them vulnerable to breakaways and short-handed goals.
The other is you're training replacements on PP2 in case you need them on PP1 instead of bringing in someone cold off the bench or the AHL.
And it gives the opposing team more film to watch b/c the personnel and style of PP2 is very different than PP1.

My problem with Voracek is he gets lots of good shot opportunities, if he was even an average shooter that would make a huge difference.
I'm not asking miracles, just competence.

Reactions: BernieParent

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah there is no way in hell they would willingly matchup any other Center with McDavid.

Coots Vs. McDavid is ON.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Flyers had 54 PPG last year, and already have 7 in 7 games this year. The big hole on the PP that was predicted isn't actually there.

I think the biggest reason is that they have changed the PP setups too. We certainly lost a slot shooting LW with Schenn gone. But with the different setups and movement, last years setup isn't happening this year.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I do! Even though I'm from NS originally. Last playoffs I can't remember the last time I was so mad watching the Penguins seemingly luck their way to the finals, felt like every break went their way.

But I'll always like Sid, used to hate him but he seems like a really chill down to earth guy. Though I love his and Giroux's hatred for each other.

Welcome...what area? I live in Lower Sackville.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Just to show you how close....TPB was 1st shot at the Woodbine Park as you can see on the link below. Well I live within that picture as well. So yeah...5 minute drive from there.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.7968195,-63.6882714,15z

I think you are wise not to specify exactly where - there are some real weirdos on here :naughty: It is hilarious imagining you going to get a pepperoni or chucking a piss jug out your window :laugh: Do you pronounce the hard "j" in "jalapeno chips"?

Reactions: Amorgus

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think you are wise not to specify exactly where - there are some real weirdos on here :naughty: It is hilarious imagining you going to get a pepperoni or chucking a piss jug out your window :laugh: Do you pronounce the hard "j" in "jalapeno chips"?

lol...true stories:

I have bought pepperoni many a time but even after a round of golf at a corner store stopping for snacks/drinks.

I have pissed in a bottle before...being a road ref in my past, you do what you gotta do. And yes, I threw that f***er out my window.

As for the j....doesn't everyone??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3