Player Discussion #8 - Ben Chiarot: Swing Low, Sweet Chiarot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
Omg that was painfull to listen to... I'm pure french canadian but dayum (stubbs was the only one who didn't make me sweat out of embarassment)... I felt bad for Chiarot trying to find an answer to some (most) of these questions (?!?!).. Did Aho's offersheet have anything to do with you signing later... Seriously man? lmfao!!! i hate being rude but, as i get old i have a hard time tolerating stupidity, just imagine some english speaking guy trying to answer stupid questions from the media, now... Try to picture renaud lavoie, felix seguin or dave morrissette or that gelinas guy (haven't had cable in years so can't remember all the names)... asking the same dumb question (sometimes it's not even a question lol) making us sound like illiterate dimwits... There's some bilingual people out there that could do so much better and not make us look like "a turd world country"... F me!!!... Sorry for the b****in' the interview got me mad... My bad...

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
As i said last night..Sheldon Souray first 324 Nhl games had zero powerplay goals..had a cannon shot ..when he up'd his shot totals from 100 to 200 - 268 shots a yr, he found great success..he finished his career with 51 pp goals 83 pp assts...

Now going to the Jets board asking for opinions from "fan scouts" on Chiarot...?

Here's Oilers fans talking about JEFF PETRY before we traded for him

Click here>Jeff Petry

Petry is garbage. To be honest, we are a team of 6 third-pair defensemen - our entire defensive corps is garbage and that is why we struggle.

Petry's heinous giveaways are unacceptable, I can't wait to be rid of him - he is the Devan Dubnyk of the blue line.

Take into account that he is pretty average defensively all things considered, is soft and doesn't create much offense and i'm not sure how anybody can defend his play this season.

In Petry all I see is a guy who *should be an excellent defensive defenseman but who's limited defensive hockey sense will always stand in his way. You just cannot be a shutdown d-man when you panic under pressure or freeze while reading a play. It happens at least 2-3 times per game with Petry and usually at least one ends in the back of the net.

It's too bad... all of the skills are there.

- He is very inconsistent, moves the puck well at times has some very bad games at times.

Just wanted to throw this out there. Petry I think is overrated on these boards
What I see go mostly UNNOTICED is the following:
1. His lack of ability to read a dangerous situation. A dangerous situation is developing (like the NY Ranger streaking in on his side) that he does not notice. He is in position (systems wise) but is in no position to stop the dangerous scoring chance from happening.

2. His lack of ability to get shots through. When he gets the puck at the blue line, he either makes a play too quick while not looking up and it gets blocked OR he looks up and makes the play too slowly and it still gets blocked.

3. His lack of ability to seperate players from the puck.

Another typical Petry night tonight. And by typical I do not mean "solid play for the whole night and then 1 bad mistake" like alot of the posters in this thread try to say to defend his game.

Tonight he had 3 give-aways in the first alone. Didn't box out his man on the 2nd Nasville goal, he stood there NOT recognizing danger like USUAL.

Yeah I just don't see it with this guy. To be honest I'm glad the Oilers did not sign him long term.

I mean I'm not going to scapegoat him as the reason for our D being bad, but I don't see him being part of the solution here either.]

He reminds me a bit of a "not good" Mike Green. He's Mike Green without any of the upside.

Anyone that thinks losing Petry is going to appreciatively make this team worse is out to lunch imo. For all the good things he brings he also brings an equal number of ghastly errors. If he left tommorrow and marincin or klefbom took his spot we would hardly notice within about two weeks.]

Petry is weird player in that sense. I keep hearing how analytics and advanced stats make him out like a star yet, he tends to fail the eyeball test more often than not

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Omg that was painfull to listen to... I'm pure french canadian but dayum (stubbs was the only one who didn't make me sweat out of embarassment)... I felt bad for Chiarot trying to find an answer to some (most) of these questions (?!?!).. Did Aho's offersheet have anything to do with you signing later... Seriously man? lmfao!!! i hate being rude but, as i get old i have a hard time tolerating stupidity, just imagine some english speaking guy trying to answer stupid questions from the media, now... Try to picture renaud lavoie, felix seguin or dave morrissette or that gelinas guy (haven't had cable in years so can't remember all the names)... asking the same dumb question (sometimes it's not even a question lol) making us sound like illiterate dimwits... There's some bilingual people out there that could do so much better and not make us look like "a turd world country"... F me!!!... Sorry for the b****in' the interview got me mad... My bad...

I had the same reaction......I just can't handle stupid.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I'm going on the record , this will be a great deal for Habs.

Petry came to Montreal ,from the Oilers with 17 pts in 81 games....TODAY our Jeff Petry last season 46 pts in 82 games...Now all those Oilers fans calling him garbage and a flawed player etc...was they right or wrong?

Ben Chiarot with the 107.7 mph cannon shot...
In Montreal he'll likely be told to use it way more..and they will throw him out on the PP a lot more...

Just like Jeff Petry came to us as a 17 pt a yr dman , Chiarot comes to Montreal as a 20 pt a yr dman .....let's all talk 2-3 yrs from today ok???? It won't be of any surprise to me to see Chiarot become a 35 -45 pt man IF he starts using the shot he got ..not 74 times or 111 times a year like in Winnipeg , but 200-250 times a yr in Montreal.....

I got a good feeling about Big Ben...... welcome to Montreal

Last edited:
Reactions: Licentia

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
As i said last night..Sheldon Souray first 324 Nhl games had zero powerplay goals..had a cannon shot ..when he up'd his shot totals from 100 to 200 - 268 shots a yr, he found great success..he finished his career with 51 pp goals 83 pp assts...

Now going to the Jets board asking for opinions from "fan scouts" on Chiarot...?

Click here>Jeff Petry

And the thing about Petry, as well, he was 27 at the time of the trade and was in his 5th season.

Chiarot is 28 and just finished his 5th season.

At the time of the Petry trade, his best season was 25 pts (in his second season). After that, he was around the 15-pts mark.

At the time of the Chiarot signing, he just came off his best season of 20 pts. The previous years, he was mostly around the 15-pts mark, except for 2015-16 when he had 10.

We'll see how he fits in Montreal. But IF he can repeat what Petry did, then this could end up being a real good signing.

The difference is that they don't play a similar game. Whereas Petry's style is more in tune with the way the game has gone. The little I've seen of Chiarot, he has a different style.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

Click here>Jeff Petry
I was almost completely healed from letting Souray walk for NOTHING! Thanks for bringing him up LOL

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
He's gonna be a new Hamrlk with dha Souray shot !
Nice fit !
107 mph ? Really ??

That's the speed my dark green 1968 Mustang did in the car chase in Bullit.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Not going to lie... I’m not too thrilled ATM. That’s second pairing money, which we also got tied up with Alzner. Just think of it... over $8m tied up between both those guys...

Anyways, hoping this signing works out but if he ends up playing top or second pair consistently, I think that says more about our depth than his performance.

It’s really not second pairing money and he will be playing the bulk of the pk minutes on the left side. How are you not getting this?

Reactions: Vachon23

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
And the thing about Petry, as well, he was 27 at the time of the trade and was in his 5th season.

At the time of the Petry trade, his best season was 25 pts (in his second season). After that, he was around the 15-pts mark.

At the time of the Chiarot signing, he just came off his best season of 20 pts. The previous years, he was mostly around the 15-pts mark, except for 2015-16 when he had 10.

We'll see how he fits in Montreal. But IF he can repeat what Petry did, then this could end up being a real good signing.

The difference is that they don't play a similar game. Whereas Petry's style is more in tune with the way the game has gone. The little I've seen of Chiarot, he has a different style.
Yeah, defencemen usually take a lot longer to develop and hit their prime, people tend to forget it all the time...

I've been saying it for a while that Petry is hitting his prime right now at 31 years old.

Won't be surprised if he hits 55+ points next season.

googleIsMyFriend

Dec 6, 2016
Jets fans overall not that high on him.

Well, not 100% true. There were quite a few fans who liked him. Some posters didn't like him because he wasn't 1st round pick or similar stupid reason...

He brings 100% effort for every game, blocks shots, hits hard and protects goalie. He has been improving last 2-3 seasons and i think he will age well. He is that kind of player who will benefit a lot if team has somekind of system what they follow. Jets was a little bit of an disaster in last season in their own end and defenders were little bit of problems throught the season. I think he will fit your team very well.

Actually he would be Jets 3rd best defender at the moment :D

Reactions: japhi and Vachon23

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

yup,

We traded for Jeff Petry ..he had 295 games of NHL experience...

We just got Ben Chiarot..he got 305 games of Nhl experience

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
The 107.7 mph shot, the Jets never used on the POWERPLAY.. Ben Chiarot

In 2016-17 he average 1 second a game on the powerplay
In 2017-18 he avg 2 seconds a game on the powerplay
In 2018-19 he avg 1 second a game on the powerplay..

To highlight this ,

last year in 78 games , (Ben Chiarot) played a grand total of 2 minutes and 7 seconds on the power play....the entire season !

In 2017-18 season he played a grand total of 3+ mins on the power play...the entire season!

Yes, Ben Chiarot has 0 powerplay goals in 305 career games....

I think this will change in Montreal...lol..I would bet money the Habs will give him more than 2 minutes a year on the powerplay!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Licentia

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
The 107.7 mph shot, the Jets never used on the POWERPLAY..

to highlight this ,

last year in 78 games , he played a grand total of 2 minutes and 7 seconds on the power play....the entire season !

In 2017-18 season he played a grand total of 3+ mins on the power play...the entire season!

I think this will change in Montreal...lol..I would bet money the Habs will give him more than 2 minutes a year on the powerplay!!!!
I don't see him on the powerplay here either. Between Weber and Petry, there's no room for another defenceman barring injury

Reactions: Vachon23

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I don't see him on the powerplay here either. Between Weber and Petry, there's no room for another defenceman barring injury

our PP that was near DEAD LAST in the NHL..and we got no room for a 107.7 mile an hr shot on the PP???? come on ...think of all the stuff they tried last season to jump start the PP

Anyone thinking Habs are not goona try Chiarot on the PP ...is crazy

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
our PP that was near DEADLAST in the NHL..and we got no room for a 107.7 mile an hr shot on the PP???? come on ...think of all the stuff they tried last season to jump start the PP

Anyone thinking Habs are not goona try Chiarot on the PP ...is crazy
Can't see him being in on a regular basis. The issue was puck and player movement, not big shots imo

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Can't see him being in on a regular basis. The issue was puck and player movement, not big shots imo

if the pucks start goin in ....he will be ...be as simple as that.

The fact is the Jets never used him on the Pp

Habs PP sucks is an understatement...He'll get his time on the PP to see what he can do

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
The 107.7 mph shot, the Jets never used on the POWERPLAY.. Ben Chiarot

To highlight this ,

last year in 78 games , (Ben Chiarot) played a grand total of 2 minutes and 7 seconds on the power play....the entire season !

He might get 2nd PP minutes to replace Weber’s shot

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
He might get 2nd PP minutes to replace Weber’s shot

possible...yup........maybe they pair them together on the PP......lol:)..108 mph(Weber) on one side 107.7 mph (Chiarot) on the other side.

Overlooking the 107.7 mph shot, on a team that's bad on the power play like the Habs...ain't goona happen...

Habs for sure will give him(Chiarot) a fair amount of Pp time to test him out...

This is how he can turn into a 35-45 pt player quite easy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad