Player Discussion #8 - Ben Chiarot: Swing Low, Sweet Chiarot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
He's been one-timing it on half of the occasions? The strategy is not working because the PP as a whole is so static that the Leafs players are not moving and the passing schemes are painfully obvious to read for the opponent. There's zero creativity. Weber's quickness to unload his shot has nothing to do with it.

The problem is that there is no one else that can put the puck in the net with a shoot. We don’t have enough goalscorer.

I mean, yeah, but this is not a new problem. Even when Galchenyuk was still around, having Weber be the primary shot choice was bad. Weber's shot is dangerous if the other team can't set up for it, but he's not quick enough to be a primary option, even deeper in the zone.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Kulak is real trash since the start of the season. He was overrated because of last year but he was always just a #6-7

I'm willing to give him ''some'' time. Competition for icetime was introduced this year (chiarot, Fleury) and some players need time to adjust to that. Different than having a vet like weber mentoring you over 20+ games with no expectations on your game.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I mean, yeah, but this is not a new problem. Even when Galchenyuk was still around, having Weber be the primary shot choice was bad. Weber's shot is dangerous if the other team can't set up for it, but he's not quick enough to be a primary option, even deeper in the zone.

And, real talk, how many examples could anyone here come up with of Weber doing something like faking a shot to pass cross-seam?

Reactions: larrypacman8167

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Eh, Mete actually hasn't been that bad. Weber's probably struggling worse. His skating thus far is worrisome.

And by-the-by to everyone posting here, Montreal's D pairing goes like this:

Chiarot-Petry
Mete-Weber
Kulak-Fleury

Petry's pair is Montreal 1st pair (or 1A). It has been for a while now.
Ice time depends on matchups, they've been talking about this for 2-3 years now.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He wasn't great against Toronto. He was fine. He's looked weak on his skates and has struggled against the cycle.

And the PP strategy of getting Weber the puck and only Weber the puck has to die a horrible death. He's not quick enough to make it work.

Guess I saw it differently. He pasted Tavares into the boards, cleared the crease, shots on net. Its not his fault the PP revolves around his shot, take it up with the coaches. I don't get the 'weak on his skates' comment, what are you referring to? Weber's game hasn't changes the last two-three years, it is what it is.. what do you think you'll get out of him at this stage?

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Saw that through 2 games the Chiarot-Petry duo lead the habs in defensive zone starts AND also lead in defensive shot suppression and offensive shot generation. Chiarot leads in shot suppressed and Petry leads in shot generation among the defensmean so they compliment each other really well. Neither are perfect players but their games seem to work well together.

Credit to whoever posted this on the Habs Reddit.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Bet the Jets are wishing they'd extended him now.

And we think we've got D problems.

well, if Weber decided to sit out and contemplate retirement, and Petry went down to injury, we'd be looking at at a similar, arguably worse, group...

that they were moving Trouba and losing Myers and yet still had no interest giving Chiarot the term we gave him, speaks volumes about their evaluation of his relative utility & value.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
well, if Weber decided to sit out and contemplate retirement, and Petry went down to injury, we'd be looking at at a similar, arguably worse, group...

that they were moving Trouba and losing Myers and yet still had no interest giving Chiarot the term we gave him, speaks volumes about their evaluation of his relative utility & value.
Fair reply.

Doesn't mean that the Jets got that call right, though :)

RandR

May 15, 2011
Bet the Jets are wishing they'd extended him now.

And we think we've got D problems.
Yes, and there's another article about how the Jets miss the physical aspect that Chiariot brings Why lack of physicality from blue line is Winnipeg Jets' biggest concern - Sportsnet.ca

Yes, the league is changing and you can’t dish out punishment the way you used to in front of the net, but if you’ve watched this team over the past few years you’ve noticed the Jets pushed those boundaries further than most. Their net front remained a war zone where Dustin Byfuglien, Tyler Myers, Jacob Trouba and Ben Chiarot all subscribed to the “no man left standing“ mentality that usually left opponents on the ice rather than pouncing on loose pucks in the crease.

What I wonder about with Chiarot is that, according to the Sportsnet article about him, if he now should be moving the puck up the middle of the ice then that adds risk since any bad or intercepted passes up the middle are far worse than along the boards. I like what Chiarot adds to the Habs but passing is not his specialty.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Yes, and there's another article about how the Jets miss the physical aspect that Chiariot brings Why lack of physicality from blue line is Winnipeg Jets' biggest concern - Sportsnet.ca

What I wonder about with Chiarot is that, according to the Sportsnet article about him, if he now should be moving the puck up the middle of the ice then that adds risk since any bad or intercepted passes up the middle are far worse than along the boards. I like what Chiarot adds to the Habs but passing is not his specialty.
No, but he's not terrible at it.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
They offered him better term and more money overall then we did.

really? I heard they offered 2 years and refused to budge from that...

that would be an interesting counter to the narrative that we have to overpay for UFA's if it were true, wouldn't it.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
really? I heard they offered 2 years and refused to budge from that...

that would be an interesting counter to the narrative that we have to overpay for UFA's if it were true, wouldn't it.
I think I got that wrong. I think it was indeed a 2 year offer with more average money. Still, they made a competitive pitch to keep him around.

Reactions: Vachon23

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I think I got that wrong. I think it was indeed a 2 year offer with more average money. Still, they made a competitive pitch to keep him around.

yup, just not as competitive as ours... despite knowing that they were losing two key dmen... thus the point still stands, the Jets evaluation of the player was that he was not worth risking giving 3 years of term to, despite the holes they knew were opening up.

Will be interesting to see what the take on him with us is come April... and next september, and the september after that.

Certainly hope he exceeds realistic expectations and can grow into a legit top-4 dman level of performance, rather than being an overpaid and overplayed bottom pairing guy.

he'll have to significantly improve to be better than keeping Benn for 2yrs and 1.5M$/year less... so far, doesn't look good.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
yup, just not as competitive as ours... despite knowing that they were losing two key dmen... thus the point still stands, the Jets evaluation of the player was that he was not worth risking giving 3 years of term to, despite the holes they knew were opening up.

Will be interesting to see what the take on him with us is come April... and next september, and the september after that.

Certainly hope he exceeds realistic expectations and can grow into a legit top-4 dman level of performance, rather than being an overpaid and overplayed bottom pairing guy.

he'll have to significantly improve to be better than keeping Benn for 2yrs and 1.5M$/year less... so far, doesn't look good.
I've checked it now. The Jets actually offered him a 4-year deal at about 0,5 million less per year, but more overall money. So my original post was correct. And we're talking about a team that was cap strapped at the time the offer was made. Clearly, they valued Chiarot quite a lot.

Reactions: Vachon23

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I've checked it now. The Jets actually offered him a 4-year deal at about 0,5 million less per year, but more overall money. So my original post was correct. And we're talking about a team that was cap strapped at the time the offer was made. Clearly, they valued Chiarot quite a lot.

Maybe he looked around at who was gone and who was thinking of leaving (big Buff) and said get me the hell out of here, i don't care if its less $$

M

Reactions: Walrus26

japhi

Jul 7, 2014

Well they utilized him as top 4 in the playoffs - he played more then Myers - and offered him similar money.

But MB did sign him, you will always have that on your side around here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad