Player Discussion #8 - Ben Chiarot: Swing Low, Sweet Chiarot

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He's overpaid, look at what Jordie Benn got. There's no way anyone that isn't a Bergevin homer can look at me and say that Chiarot is any better than Benn.
He's better then Benn...but not sure he's better then their difference in salary/term were/are.

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
He's overpaid, look at what Jordie Benn got. There's no way anyone that isn't a Bergevin homer can look at me and say that Chiarot is any better than Benn.
Chiarot has seen top 4 mins in Winnipeg who had a hell of a defence and Montreal.

Benn is barely a 6

maybe both these teams see something you don’t. lol

Chiarot is 4yrs younger, bigger, more physical, and just a better player then Benn

he’s slightly overpaid but so are most UFA’s that sign with new teams.

I liked Benn, but I like Chiarot better

Last edited:

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
He's better then Benn...but not sure he's better then their difference in salary/term were/are.

Chiarot brings an element that can be combustive. Not sure I'd want to drop the gloves with him,not NOW anyways. I like Benn a lot,for his role,but he was far from intimidating.

Reactions: jaffy27 and 417

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Chiarot has seen top 4 mins in Winnipeg who had a hell of a defence and Montreal.

Benn is barely a 6

maybe both these teams see something you don’t. lol

Chiarot is 4yrs younger, bigger, more physical, and just a better player then Benn

he’s slightly overpaid but so are most UFA’s that sign with new teams.

I liked Benn, but I like Chiarot better

Why didn't WPG sign Chiarot ? Their team is barren of any D right now and they knew who was leaving, Myers, Buff, Trouba... Why did they chose to replace Chiarot with Bitteto ? They had more than enough cap space to sign him... man its kinda weird huh ?

Hey Alzner played in the Caps top 4 though, must mean he's pretty good !

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Honestly I don't see it. I actually think Benn was better as a decision maker in the Dzone, and thats not saying much.
He has more poise with the puck for sure (thought he was underrated in this regard)...Chiarot is real loose with it.

Sl

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Why didn't WPG sign Chiarot ? Their team is barren of any D right now and they knew who was leaving, Myers, Buff, Trouba... Why did they chose to replace Chiarot with Bitteto ? They had more than enough cap space to sign him... man its kinda weird huh ?

Why they trade Trouba, why they let Myers go, why did it take so long to sign Laine, why why why........

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Why they trade Trouba, why they let Myers go, why did it take so long to sign Laine, why why why........
They traded Trouba because he had wanted out for like 3 years.
They traded Myers because he's bad too and he wanted too much money.

They didnt have the money to afford Trouba, Myers, Laine and Connor

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He's also a better skater than Chiarot.. Which is actually really sad.
Really? I find Chiarot moves better but not that I think there's a huge difference..

IMO, they paid more for a younger version of Benn.

Meh.

Reactions: jaffy27

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014

They tried. They offered around 12 millions for 4 years. Habs offered 3 years with a higher AAV. Chiarot chose the Habs.

I also think the guy is overpaid, but he's also a better D than Benn... which is not saying much.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I've seen Chiarot with Jets quite a bit, and there are 3 things that stand out about him:
1. The amount of icings is immense
2. He performs some fantastic hits
3. About 3 times a season he summons his inner Patrick Kane and dangles through guys like nobody's business.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I've seen Chiarot with Jets quite a bit, and there are 3 things that stand out about him:
1. The amount of icings is immense
2. He performs some fantastic hits
3. About 3 times a season he summons his inner Patrick Kane and dangles through guys like nobody's business.
He did that just last night, crazy goal.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I kinda feel bad for him...

He's going to get exposed, and inevitably heavily criticised, by being played 20+min/night for the first time in his career...

And judging by the early evidence of his very bad decision-making, as the pressure mounts and the nerves get worse, he could really end up imploding.

Can't blame the guy for jumping at the opportunity, nor is it his fault he isn't equipped for the role we signed him for

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Not the ideal top 4 defenceman I'm looking for...

That's because he's a bottom pair d.

I'd be fine with:

Mete Weber (last year's version of Weber)
Kulak Petry
Chiarot Fleury/Folin/Reilly

The problem is, last year's Weber has fallen off a cliff. It may just be Plekanec level drop in play due to old age. That would be a disaster for the blue line and the team as a whole, and it's looking like that's what's happened.

Reactions: Oryxo

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I thought he was one of our best tonight, take that for whatever its worth. Clearing bodies, some shots.. speaks more to how pathetic our blueline is perhaps, but he has been ok.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Why did Bergevin trade Sergachev, why they let Markov go, why did he gut the left side of his D in one fell swoop, why did it take so long (and failed) to sign Radulov, why why why........

Because Bergevin and Chevy went to the same school of planning and foresight.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Time to shake up the pairing on the back end...

Mete / Weber
Kulak / Petry
Chariot / Fleury

I think Chariot plays a very physical style of game that would fit well with Fleury. Kulak also plays physical and lets see if he can play with Petry like he did last season down the stretch.

Weber needs to be better. Not asking him to skate faster cause that's not his game but at least make some good passes and not turn the puck over.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Glorified, overpaid bottom pairing D with terrible decision making. He fits right in, thanks for this amazing signing Marc.

Did you watch the game? Chariot was not the problem last night. Is he a top 4D? I'd say he is a fringe top 4D but where not paying him like a for sure top 4D. We are paying him as a bottom 4D but playing him with Petry. I think we should play Chariot with Fleury on the last pairing and try Kulak with Petry again

Gallagher: -3
Danault: -2
Tatar -2
Weber: -1
Weal -1
Reilly -1
Folin -1

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Time to shake up the pairing on the back end...

Mete / Weber
Kulak / Petry
Chariot / Fleury

I think Chariot plays a very physical style of game that would fit well with Fleury. Kulak also plays physical and lets see if he can play with Petry like he did last season down the stretch.

Weber needs to be better. Not asking him to skate faster cause that's not his game but at least make some good passes and not turn the puck over.

Sad thing is that while you are right, the first pair is awful too. Mete probably doesn't even belong in the NHL. As fast as he is. That's all he is. And Weber shows signs of being old. That's the healthy and ready to go Weber. I think he looked better last year when he was hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad