GDT: 8/11/20 - 3:00PM EDT - #7 Columbus vs #2 Tampa Bay [ECQF Game 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
You kind of wonder if this key win puts an end to the Blue Jackets Jinx for the Lightning or not.

The next game should be an interesting one.

hopefully we basically changed our system we run for playing this team and bringing in some grinders as well

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
This is way, WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY bigger than demons. We blew games 5 and 6 vs the Hawks, blew games 6 and 7 vs the Pens, blew games 6 and 7 vs the Caps -all with series leads and scoring a combined 4 goals in all 6 of those games. Then we followed it up by getting the shit beat out of us and barely scoring vs the CBJ too. Every time the pressure was on for us to have to gut it out and win our offense has evaporated and our leaders choked. I know this is a gross oversimplification for me to make and a gross exaggeration: but this is arguably the first time in the Jon Cooper era that we had to dig as deep as any Stanley Cup champion has ever had to -and it's notable because this is probably the first time we've actually seen our guys do it.

These guys have never.... EVER had to force themselves to play like this. Now that they actually have let's just hope it's our "growing up" moment kind of like how it was for the Capitals when they finally bettered the Penguins in 2017 en route to a Cup win

Make no mistake. I am truly happy we won and not surprised it had to go to 5 OT's. That's just what it takes to break a team led by a will as strong as Tortorella's

they gutted a win out and I’ve never seen this core play like that to do it. I’m not saying we win this series but we are not gonna get trucked over like last year! We can win this series if we played like we did tonight every game in the playoffs! And probably win the cup!

Reactions: DaBolts

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Our forecheck was relentless for the better part of 8 periods. Even when we turned over possession, we often won it back by winning races and battles along the boards. We looked much, much better in front of the net too. Both nets.

Craziest part is I think cbj got by far the worst of the physical battle. Even beyond straight up hits, we were shoving them around and muscling them off pucks.

And Yanni Gourde seemed to finally figure out playoff hockey as a whole. That alone could be huge going forward. He was one of our best players all night. And all night was a loooong time.

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
Not much else will make you more battle tested than winning in 5OT's vs our nemesis with no Stammer, no Rutta, and Hedman not at 100%.
Tbh Hedman looked like 100% ready,when he saved us in 5th ot,without penalty,i think he was kike 120% ready :)

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
Our forecheck was relentless for the better part of 8 periods. Even when we turned over possession, we often won it back by winning races and battles along the boards. We looked much, much better in front of the net too. Both nets.

Craziest part is I think cbj got by far the worst of the physical battle. Even beyond straight up hits, we were shoving them around and muscling them off pucks.

And Yanni Gourde seemed to finally figure out playoff hockey as a whole. That alone could be huge going forward. He was one of our best players all night. And all night was a loooong time.
He was hustling all night

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Man, what a game! So happy I got to witness it. Agree with the sentiment that maybe this is a turning pony for the Lightning.

But I am worried about injuries and fatigue on both sides for game two. Here is to everyone staying healthy.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Overall I'm really happy with the game but the biggest negative takeaway has got to be the penalties. Every single one of them were very much avoidable and ones that you shouldn't be taking at this level. The too-many-men calls infuriate me the most. They've been an issue with this team for years now and we still f*** up the line changes constantly.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say it was due to rustiness. Going forward we need to be more disciplined.

Reactions: berlin

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Unique to the length of the game, but I think all the dumping the puck sort of bailed the team out when they didn't have the legs to regroup in the neutral zone.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
What a grind. The additions of Goodrow, Maroon, and Coleman really seemed to help wearing down and playing physical. Lets hope we can rest up and bounce back from the battle ready to win the next. Their goalie played great, hopefully we wore him down some. This is now Point's and Kucherov's team to lead.

Cooper- He has to get control of the game. You cannot get two too many men on the ice penalties. It happens less than beer league. We took a few too many other penalties but that is on the players and playoff hockey.
I liked the boys fought to the end. I am not sure if the is on Cooper or the boys. If we can cut back the bench penalties and play more disciplined we can run the show.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Columbus went like 2 full games there without really any dangerous chances. Just defend like that and hope Vasi doesn’t suck and we should be good.

Might be annoying having to play like this and not score much but It’s definitely the way to go if we want to beat a team like this.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I still can't believe people are griping about that Atkinson play when he just didn't bother to stay on his skates? He chicken-winged Hedmans hand and fell over, he was trying to get a call, I get it - its overtime, take the extra two strides and make Hedman actually pull on your jersey and you'll get it.

TheFurryPickle

Mar 9, 2019
OK, I've watched the game again and have come to the conclusion that we do not screen enough - or effectively .. way too many easy saves.

That's about it.

Oh and Heddy smashed his stick 5 times in the last round robin game --- and we went for 5 ots.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Our playoff winless streak was extended a few games last night, but if this is what it takes to get the monkey off our back, I'll take it. Lot's of positives to walk away from out of this game. There's still plenty of Columbus to grind through.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
OK, I've watched the game again and have come to the conclusion that we do not screen enough - or effectively .. way too many easy saves.

That's about it.

Oh and Heddy smashed his stick 5 times in the last round robin game --- and we went for 5 ots.
Coop wants defense to come before offense, so getting too much traffic in front of their net would put them behind the play when the puck turns over.

Reactions: TheFurryPickle

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Tbh Hedman looked like 100% ready,when he saved us in 5th ot,without penalty,i think he was kike 120% ready :)

I believe Hedman was totally ready for that game and that he's fine. But the team didn't report it because they wanted CBJ to believe they weren't going to have to deal with Hedman. The entire hockey world thought there was no way he would play, and then, boom, he's not only playing, but he's arguably the best player in the game.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Coop wants defense to come before offense, so getting too much traffic in front of their net would put them behind the play when the puck turns over.

I think the way to play this style, but also get trash goals, is the puck carrier needs to drive the net himself once in a while, which we saw last night. And even if we weren't getting a TON of traffic, we were getting a lot more than we did last year.

CBJ thrives on letting you pass around the perimeter, turning the puck over, and then breaking up ice on an odd-man rush. They did it to Toronto and they did it to us last year. Even when we had long possessions last year, it felt like we were still getting dominated because the possession led to nothing. So I actually do believe Cooper, > 12 months too late, has made an adjustment, and that CBJ is gonna have a difficult time dealing with our offense when we play like this. We looked dangerous pretty much all night.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I think the way to play this style, but also get trash goals, is the puck carrier needs to drive the net himself once in a while, which we saw last night. And even if we weren't getting a TON of traffic, we were getting a lot more than we did last year.

CBJ thrives on letting you pass around the perimeter, turning the puck over, and then breaking up ice on an odd-man rush. They did it to Toronto and they did it to us last year. Even when we had long possessions last year, it felt like we were still getting dominated because the possession led to nothing. So I actually do believe Cooper, > 12 months too late, has made an adjustment, and that CBJ is gonna have a difficult time dealing with our offense when we play like this. We looked dangerous pretty much all night.
Columbus clearly had the physically stronger group of forwards.

My concern becomes the toll of constantly having to skate through players where we aren't going to win a lot of those strength battles.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
These will make fine additions to my collection.

W6kFvlS.png

m6sDaWC.png

yjhPynl.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad