GDT: 8/11/20 - 3:00PM EDT - #7 Columbus vs #2 Tampa Bay [ECQF Game 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I didn’t see it as a lazy play. My take was by the 5th OT guys were struggling physically to make tape to tape passes, to put something into their shots, and stay on their feet after contact. I chalk that up to the physical and mental fatigue of playing a playoff game that long.

I'd agree if he didn't make that exact same turnover numerous times in the RS as well....

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I didn’t see it as a lazy play. My take was by the 5th OT guys were struggling physically to make tape to tape passes, to put something into their shots, and stay on their feet after contact. I chalk that up to the physical and mental fatigue of playing a playoff game that long.
I dont know what you call it but it was brutal. Almost gave us a devastating loss. Easily the worst play I can remember from either team.

Reactions: Sky04

BoltsOfAnarchy

May 12, 2018
Largo
There was one giant gaff off of Kucherov's stick, while on the PP none the less. He cannot make stupid passes like that to kill what would've been 150mins of hardwork. Do you know how deflating that would've been, to lose from a shorthanded breakaway goal in 5OT? Such a lazy play.

This is what I'm talking about. How many times can we excuse him for that same mistake? At a crucial point no less?? I'm sorry but I'm just not seeing the effort with him that I do from other skaters & it's unacceptable for his role & contract. Check out the next time he misses a shot or it gets blocked....he has this tendency to stand there watching, then slowly reacting to the ensuing play. Like he's too disgusted with himself for missing, sulks, but then misses an opportunity to check or retrieve the puck. We need to stop with the "other team keying in on him, etc"... he's supposed to be one of the league's best players.... he needs to find ways around those challenges to contribute. It would be nice if he used his skill to elevate others that played on his line. As it is now, if Point & Kuch get smothered, that line is neutered. And it's very easy to get him frustrated & off his game....everyone can see it happen

Reactions: Peacefool

BoltsOfAnarchy

May 12, 2018
Largo
Or we just get the lead early. We get the lead and they have to try to score. Get them out of their trap. Get the damn lead.

This is what I'm getting at. Everyone wants to sugar coat & feel good that we won, and I get that. It was a huge win for many reasons. But at what point do we start to dictate the style of game? When do we use our skill to make a team like CLB chase us & come from behind (other than Game 1, 2nd period of last year when we folded)

Which one of these teams has dominated the league standings last couple of seasons? Which of these teams has been Stanley Cup favorites/contenders? Who has Presidents trophy, Vezina winner, Norris winner, Art Ross winner, etc??? Yet we feel we have to adjust OUR STYLE to get past the first round opponent. Where is the swagger & "Try to come beat us" mentality? I'll gladly eat my words if these playoffs progress that way...but let me see it

TheFurryPickle

Mar 9, 2019
Coop wants defense to come before offense, so getting too much traffic in front of their net would put them behind the play when the puck turns over.

Ok, after the 2nd full complete re watch of the game, yes you are correct and they were very disciplined with it, even Kuch. I reckon Johnny had a similar game to Gourde but was allowed to have a few runs at the goal keeper in the OTs which nearly came off. Kudos to Coops knowing when to use Johnny in that instance I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad