Pre-Game Talk: 8:08 PM - ECQF GAME 2 - Whalercanes vs BRUINS - GDT will be posted later on Thusrday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2020-8-13_2-33-18.png

upload_2020-8-13_2-34-8.png

Now that the Boston Bruins have finally started clicking in this August portion of the season, they want to keep the accelerator on the floor.

To that end, they'll get a quick turnaround in their first-round series with the Carolina Hurricanes.

After Boston won the series opener in double overtime Wednesday, the puck will drop for Game 2 on Thursday night at Scotiabank Arena in Toronto.

"I think we were more engaged in the game," said Bruins center Patrice Bergeron, who scored the game winner 1:13 into the second overtime, comparing it to three losses in round-robin seeding games. "We're getting better from one game to the next. We have to keep doing that."

The Hurricanes entered the game 3-0 since the restart after sweeping the New York Rangers in a qualifying series. They'll look to regain some of the crispness that had earlier in the month.

"There can be a lot of excuses you can bring up," Carolina captain Jordan Staal said of Game 1 vs. Boston. "As a group, we didn't love our effort. ... We have to do better, if we want to beat the best."

Bergeron provided his fourth career playoff overtime goal for the 4-3 victory.

Boston coach Bruce Cassidy said a certain trait emerged with his team.
"These guys are battle-tested," he said.

The beginning of the series schedule was revamped, with the Bruins and Hurricanes opening play at 11 a.m. Wednesday after Tuesday night's scheduled matchup was postponed when a preceding game between Columbus and Tampa Bay went into five overtimes.

"We've battled through worse," Staal said. "We have a group that battles through adversity and enjoys that challenge."

Boston controlled stretches of Wednesday's game, with Carolina not getting untracked often enough.

"It's obviously a stinger. I was afraid we were going to be a little sluggish, and we were," said Hurricanes coach Rod Brind'Amour, whose team had seven days off before Game 1. "It's to their credit, they played a little better than us. ... We'll come out with a little better effort, I think, and try to shore up a few things."'

The rapid-fire nature of the revised slate might work out for Carolina, however.

"You don't want to marinate on it too long," Brind'Amour said. "We get the chance to come back and play right away. I think that's good."

Game 1 marked the sixth-longest playoff game in Carolina franchise history. Hurricanes defenseman Jaccob Slavin logged more than 37 minutes to top all skaters, while defenseman Charlie McAvoy led the Bruins in ice time with 33:45.

The Hurricanes will aim for adjustments.

"Our style is a forechecking team and playing in their end," Staal said. "They did that to us and you could tell that started wearing on us."

Hurricanes forward Brock McGinn said: "The way we get shots on net is just playing our style of game. We just have to take some things from this game and move on and go to the next one. ... (With games on back-to-back days) gets it out of our mind that much quicker and don't have to spend that extra day dwelling on the loss."

Brind'Amour said that forward Justin Williams, a playoff veteran, could be back in the lineup for Game 2 after sitting out the series opener with an undisclosed ailment. It's also possible that defenseman Sami Vatanen is in the lineup.

Boston went 0-for-4 on power plays, including one in overtime, in Game 1. That puts the Bruins at 0-for-13 in power plays this month in Toronto games.

"Our power play is still a work in progress," Cassidy said.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
If Rask is a bit better there's 0% chance we lose.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I mean I've basically complained about the guy for the last few months and that didn't work, so I figure if I say something nice maybe he'll actually have a game where isn't is meh.

I'll up the ante and say I'd be happy with him if he won more board battles tonight. Use your size and muscle some people off the puck.
For goodness sake just look at your linemate Charlie Coyle if you need a guide on how to do that.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
They should start Halak. Great opportunity, coming off 2 OT game, next day game and Halak will be better than current mediocre Rask.

Reactions: BAD BOY

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
These arent the set goalies.. are they?

I expect both teams to come with their backups. Carolina has been confident in rolling Reimer all season and I want our boys to show them why they shouldn't be.

Plus Halak is a stud. Total confidence with him in net.

Reactions: BAD BOY and Ladyfan

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
And Jake too !

You know who I think deserves a goal? Nordy. I hope everyone is seeing what he is doing for this team.

Nordy had a surprisingly good game yesterday. I agree on Jake too. If that 2nd line can cash in on more chances, it could make for a scary 1-2 punch with the Bergeron line. If the Coyle line gets going (still would like to see Stud/Bjork with him), then Boston would be tough 1-4 against any team.

Reactions: BAD BOY and Ladyfan

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
One of the more positive coaching decisions made yesterday by the B's, at least IMO, Chara was 5th in TOI among the D. They are clearly seeing what we are seeing. The man can defend in his own end still with the best of them, but outside of that? Not great. Really hope they continue to get Mac out with Grz.

LETS GET GAME 2!

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I could see arguments for both Rask and Halak, I personally lean towards Rask. He's the guy, and when you have a top tier starter making 7 million a year, you start them every game of the playoffs. They can handle it.

I also see the argument for swapping out Ritchie for Stud, but there were points yesterday where the B's were getting massively out hit. Ideally, we need Ritchie in to hit people, but we need him moving and motivated, which he often was not.

Reactions: BAD BOY

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I could see arguments for both Rask and Halak, I personally lean towards Rask. He's the guy, and when you have a top tier starter making 7 million a year, you start them every game of the playoffs. They can handle it.

I also see the argument for swapping out Ritchie for Stud, but there were points yesterday where the B's were getting massively out hit. Ideally, we need Ritchie in to hit people, but we need him moving and motivated, which he often was not.

Some Bruins history:

1971 playoffs, Bruins win Game 1, 3-1, with Cheevers in goal. Game 2, with Eddie Johnston in goal, Bruins blow 5-1 lead, lose 7-5. Cheevers plays the rest of the series but Bruins lose. In 7 games. To Montreal.

Just something to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2