Proposal: 7th overall pick for 9th

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Gorton would be smart to play things close to the vest.

For example if I'm Vancouver I might have Boqvist, Hughes and Dobson pretty much even and I might be thinking of taking Hughes anyway but if I know the Rangers really want Boqvist at 7 I try to get another 1st and pick my guy at 9.....and if Boqvist and Hughes more than less turn out even or my guy turns out better then I'm also one 1st draft pick ahead. When you're talking about relatively even players best not to give away a preference and get exploited by another team.

Boqvist 'could' become another Erik Karlsson but he might not. Hughes is a better all around player right now. IMO they both should become 1st pairing D. Boqvist has a higher ceiling but Hughes has a higher floor. He's a safer pick and could easily turn out as good or better in the long run. I would not trade an extra 1st or 2nd to move up to grab Boqvist. I would probably do it to move up to get Zadina though.
Hughes would be a great get at #9, if he's there he's most likely bpa as well and in one year he leaves college and is likely NHL ready. He has a lot of a young McDonagh in his game, the skating and how he can get back on D but he's so much better already offensively.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Guessing at this moment I think it goes like this:

Buff. 1. Dahlin
Car. 2. Svechnikov
Mtl. 3. Tkachuk (possibly Zadina)
Ott. 4. Zadina (possibly Boqvist or Tkachuk in that order)
Ariz 5. Boqvist (or Tkachuk if he's still available)
Det. 6. Bouchard (maybe Hughes or Boqvist if he's still there)
Van. 7. Wahlstrom (possibly Hughes, Bouchard or Dobson)
Chi. 8. Hughes (possibly Wahlstrom if still available)
Ran. 9. Dobson (possibly Kotkaniemi)

Basically I don't think Zadina is going to fall any further than 4, Tkachuk any further than 5, Boqvist any further than 6. Hughes or Wahlstrom become available to the Rangers only if someone goes off board and takes a shot at a Kotkaniemi or a Veleno.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
So what do we think it will cost to move up two spots? And is it worth it to get Wahlstrom or Hughes as opposed to say Dobson at 9?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad