Proposal: 7th overall pick for 9th

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Hey Rangers fans, Canucks fan here. I was wodnering what would y'all add to the 9th overall pick to move to 7th. Would you guys even want to do such a thing?

Im thinking there are various options such as 7 + 37 for 9 + 29 (not a confirmed pick yet) or 7 for 9 + 39.

Reactions: Ola

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The Rangers would only trade up if a player they really like is available. Zadina, Wahlstrom, Boqvist. is it worth a 2nd rounder to move up 2 spots though? I am not sure.

I think moving up 2 spots would work if the payment is the NJ 2nd rounder.

7th for 9th+48th would be my highest bid if it's just picks

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
I think the values fair I just don't get the point of moving up two spots, we should still be able to get a really good player at 9

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
The Rangers would only trade up if a player they really like is available. Zadina, Wahlstrom, Boqvist. is it worth a 2nd rounder to move up 2 spots though? I am not sure.

I think moving up 2 spots would work if the payment is the NJ 2nd rounder.

7th for 9th+48th would be my highest bid if it's just picks
I'd rather do 7 and 37 for 9 and 29 then 9 and 48 for just 7

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I'll say what everyone is thinking then...

"Why didn't you guys want to trade down by 2 spots last year so we could have drafted Pettersson?!"

Do we know for sure that Gorton didn't try and Vancouver asked for a ridiculous return just like some teams will this year to move up to 7 or 5 if we wan't a Wahlstrom or Boqvist?! In retrospect Would getting Pettersson have been worth trading the 21st and 7th overall? Maybe thats what Vancouver wanted

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Do we know for sure that Gorton didn't try and Vancouver asked for a ridiculous return just like some teams will this year to move up to 7 or 5 if we wan't a Wahlstrom or Boqvist?! In retrospect Would getting Pettersson have been worth trading the 21st and 7th overall? Maybe thats what Vancouver wanted

You know I was joking, right? We've been over this a lot the last 10 months. You can't trade up unless the other GM is willing to trade down. That's why I said it ;)

Reactions: bl02

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think the value is there in most proposals.

Really depends on if the Rangers like someone who they don’t think will be there. And for whatever reason, Wahlstrom and Hughes pop into my mind.

But I think it depends on if anyone goes off the radar a little in the first six.

If everything goes straight forward - Dahlin, Svech, Zadina, Boqvist, Tkachuk, Bochard - then you will be a matter of preference of Hughes over Dobson, and or Wahlstrom over Kotkaniemi, Farabee or another forward.

Reactions: Ola

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Yeah, as Edge said it really depends on who they like and think might be available at 7 but not 9. Makes me immediately think of Wahlstrom. If they are fine with a D at 9 they should stand pat and take Dobson.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Going to guess based on team need combined with BPA value.

1st. Dahlin (BUF)
2nd. Svechnikov (CAR)
3rd. Tkachuk (MTL)
4th. Boqvist (OTT)
5th. Zadina (ARI)
6th. Bouchard (DET)
7th. Smith (VAN)
8th. Kotkaniemi (CHI)

Montreal reaching for Tkachuk, and Ottawa going for Boqvist as a potential Karlsson replacement, would mean Zadina dropping to 5. Smith seems to be quite high on the Vancouver fans' lists but that could be because he plays in the WHL. Chicago going with Kotkaniemi is not far-fetched either.

That would leave Wahlstrom, Dobson, Hughes, Farabee, Veleno,

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Going to guess based on team need combined with BPA value.

1st. Dahlin (BUF)
2nd. Svechnikov (CAR)
3rd. Tkachuk (MTL)
4th. Boqvist (OTT)
5th. Zadina (ARI)
6th. Bouchard (DET)
7th. Smith (VAN)
8th. Kotkaniemi (CHI)

Montreal reaching for Tkachuk, and Ottawa going for Boqvist as a potential Karlsson replacement, would mean Zadina dropping to 5. Smith seems to be quite high on the Vancouver fans' lists but that could be because he plays in the WHL. Chicago going with Kotkaniemi is not far-fetched either.

That would leave Wahlstrom, Dobson, Hughes, Farabee, Veleno,

I don't think theres a world where Zadina drops past 4 even if it means a team traded up to get him, I think it's more likely than him falling to 5

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
As @Edge said the values thrown around by many is reasonable (3rd rounder or late 2nd as add-on). However is there a faller there, and if so, why wouldn’t it worth Vancouver to grab him themselves? This is also assumes that the deal is made during the draft. The only reasonable motivation for the Rangers to do this exchange beforehand is if they plan to move up further (into 3-4 spot) and this 7OA becomes a trading chip to do it.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Hey Rangers fans, Canucks fan here. I was wodnering what would y'all add to the 9th overall pick to move to 7th. Would you guys even want to do such a thing?

Im thinking there are various options such as 7 + 37 for 9 + 29 (not a confirmed pick yet) or 7 for 9 + 39.
Just don't think it's worth giving up a late 1st or early 2nd to move up 2 spots, especially if Wahlstrom and Hughes are still on the board.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I recon the value is there — but I think for us it all depends on who is available at 7. If it’s someone we really really like sure it’s worth it.

If we think that a Bouchard can become a Norris winner and he is not selected by 6, sure do the trade. Same with guys like Zadina, Tkachuk, Boqvist, Hughes, Wahlstrom, Dobson, Kotkaniemi and co.

My point is, the draft is so open after Dahlin. We all know one thing — some teams will make very bad selections in the top 6. There have never even remotely been a draft where the top 6 went top 6... Someone we really really like could be there at 7 and if it’s a dropper it’s perfectly possible that guy wouldn’t last to 9.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I've literally run over 100 mock simulations and there is always a good player available at 9. On top of that, someone always goes off the board and grabs someone ahead of schedule. I don't think you trade up unless what you thought was the unthinkable happens and someone big drops hard. Say Zadina falls to 7 . Your phone is ringing. Boqvist falls to 7, your phone is ringing. In that case you do what you need to do if your staff believes in that guy. But that's a draft day, real time trade. You don't do that ahead of time, IMO unless you have some wacky plan to try and jump up a second time on draft day. Otherwise, hold fast.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Based on what I've read about the guys available, I wouldn't look to make a move until the draft begins. Doesn't seem like much of a gap between the guys projected 4-11 or so. Given that, I wouldn't be looking to move up right now. I'd only move up if one of the bigger guys, that group of three, we're to drop. And if that did happen we'd likely have to jump up higher than seven. I guess I just don't see seven as being substantially better than nine.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The 1st rounder that I might try to move up with actually is our second one which should be the 25/26. If at all possible I would like to move that one somewhere into the teens anyway. I'd only be interested in moving the 9 closer if Dahlin, Svechnikov or Zadina are still on board. If and when those 3 are off the board I'd be staying where I was at 9.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->