Proposal: 7th overall pick for 9th

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think the values fair I just don't get the point of moving up two spots, we should still be able to get a really good player at 9
If I’m the Rangers I do this if I’m intending make another trade into the top three. The seventh being a more attractive trade chip than the nine.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Zadina, Boqvist, Wahlstrom. That's the 3 players I'd move up for if they are available at 7

If all of them are available at 7 one of them will fall in your lap at 9.

But maybe only one of them will be available but I like Dobson, Hughes, Kotkaneimi a whole lot too.

A question would you package the 9OA + 26OA so as to take Adam Boqvist instead of Quinn Hughes? I wouldn't.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Based on what I've read about the guys available, I wouldn't look to make a move until the draft begins. Doesn't seem like much of a gap between the guys projected 4-11 or so. Given that, I wouldn't be looking to move up right now. I'd only move up if one of the bigger guys, that group of three, we're to drop. And if that did happen we'd likely have to jump up higher than seven. I guess I just don't see seven as being substantially better than nine.
The 1st rounder that I might try to move up with actually is our second one which should be the 25/26. If at all possible I would like to move that one somewhere into the teens anyway. I'd only be interested in moving the 9 closer if Dahlin, Svechnikov or Zadina are still on board. If and when those 3 are off the board I'd be staying where I was at 9.

As I said, you acquire 7th to use it plus our late first or a roster player that should be enough to get into top 3-4 if, essentially, Zadina is still on board.

Reactions: egelband

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I don't see how 7+ gets you into the top 3-4 but 9+ doesn't.
Maybe. Probably. I was just trying to find a reason to move up from 9 to 7 since it was being discussed and couldn’t find anything better to be worthwhile..

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Gorton would be smart to play things close to the vest.

For example if I'm Vancouver I might have Boqvist, Hughes and Dobson pretty much even and I might be thinking of taking Hughes anyway but if I know the Rangers really want Boqvist at 7 I try to get another 1st and pick my guy at 9.....and if Boqvist and Hughes more than less turn out even or my guy turns out better then I'm also one 1st draft pick ahead. When you're talking about relatively even players best not to give away a preference and get exploited by another team.

Boqvist 'could' become another Erik Karlsson but he might not. Hughes is a better all around player right now. IMO they both should become 1st pairing D. Boqvist has a higher ceiling but Hughes has a higher floor. He's a safer pick and could easily turn out as good or better in the long run. I would not trade an extra 1st or 2nd to move up to grab Boqvist. I would probably do it to move up to get Zadina though.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I hope Rangers are after Wahlstrom or Kotkaniemi. Signing a Finnish player couple of days ago might be a hint at who they are going after.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Boqvist size and concussions really scare me from trading up to grab him
Unfortunately, I feel the same way. Its really a shame but then again if there are no concerns he will probably go top 5.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
9th + Namestnikov
for
7th

With Sedins retiring, Canucks can use a 25 yr old established C/W for two draft spots.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
9th + Namestnikov
for
7th

With Sedins retiring, Canucks can use a 25 yr old established C/W for two draft spots.
That's maybe fine from the Canucks' perspective, but what are we gaining by moving up two spots? Who is the prospect that has value at seven that is worth Namestnikov? I don't see any prospect at seven that's better than any prospect at nine. Six, eight, ten, whatever, there are a bunch of guys that can go in any of those spots.

Sometimes I feel like people want to trade just to trade. Not accusing you of this, just in general.

Let's look at football and the Jets. They moved up three spots. Not much different than moving up two spots, right? Wrong, because the value for the Jets in moving up three spots was huge. I don't see the value for the Rangers.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Well the problem is the pick maybe worth more on draft day if a certain player(s) fall out of the top 6.... the same offer would obviously be taken off the table...

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Let’s say the draft plays out like this (based off the fan boards selections *canucks don’t have one yet though but my preferred player slots in perfectly as the players are every teams #1 in polls*)

Dahlin
Svechnikov
Zadina
Boqvist
Wahlstrom
Bouchard
Hughes
Tkachuk

Rangers fan have dobson ranked 1 who would be available at 9. But in this instance you have your choice of Hughes and tkachuk if they are preferred

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Let’s say the draft plays out like this (based off the fan boards selections *canucks don’t have one yet though but my preferred player slots in perfectly as the players are every teams #1 in polls*)

Dahlin
Svechnikov
Zadina
Boqvist
Wahlstrom
Bouchard
Hughes
Tkachuk

Rangers fan have dobson ranked 1 who would be available at 9. But in this instance you have your choice of Hughes and tkachuk if they are preferred

Hughes over Tkachuk any day. I think they're equal and in that case, go for D

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Dahlin
Svechnikov
Zadina
Boqvist
Wahlstrom
Bouchard
Hughes
Tkachuk

Sure, for, say, a 3rd rd pick to get a guy you prefer out of a given tier, make the move.

But to give up any more than that, such as a valuable player in Namestnikov, to move within a tier? Take Dobson (or Kotkaniemi), save the additional asset.

Also, this doesn’t take into account the fact that Kotkaniemi is apparently climbing fast and some team that needs a center is likely to grab him.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Boqvist size and concussions really scare me from trading up to grab him

The concussions are concerning. On talent he is probably the 3rd/4th best player in the draft. His defense is probably not as good as some of the other earlier D but that can improve. Erik Karlsson is not always the greatest defender either but he is a guy who on any given night can take over a game. Boqvist IMO has a realizable chance to reach at least pretty close to Karlsson's level but the NHL is full of guys like Gudas, Clutterbuck, Komarov, Wilson, Marchand, Emelin, Ovechkin, Orpik who are looking to make the big hit all the time and a young player with a concussion history does not bode long career to me. There are predatory hits all the time. Look at the sneaky elbow that Gardiner nailed Buchnevich this past season. No penalty, no suspension.....and Gardiner's not even known for that. Or look at Filip Forsberg setting himself up in a blind spot as Vesey circles the net to get away from a forechecker.

There are numerous guys who's careers ended way too early because of concussions and a lot of them--Lindros, Kariya, Lafontaine for example were big name players and for a lot of concussed players their post-careers are nightmares they'll navigate for the rest of their lives. For me it's a very serious issue.

Reactions: Inferno

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
The thing with Boqvist seems to be time.
He may take 2-3 years. His offensive game is off the charts.
The rest seems to need a lot of work.
All those boom bust qualities

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
If Carolina offers #2 for #9 and Buch, do you do it?
Oof. Gun to my head? Yes.

But it doesn't make sense. Essentially such a deal would come down to a difference in talent evaluation: the Rangers would be saying that LHS RW Svechnikov is better than LHS RW Buch + whomever they could draft at #9OA, whereas the Hurricanes would be saying the opposite.

If Carolina is willing to deal the #2OA, IMO, it's to address multiple areas of need in other positions (principally, center, goal, and potentially adding size to their lineup).

Reactions: eco's bones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad