Post-Game Talk: (7PM-Sat) "I have had it with these mother****ing Yandles on this mother****ing team!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
My game takes, super late so short:

1. Tippett looked good again, maybe he's figuring it out a bit? Still can't score to save his life though.
2. Fourth line was in trouble all the time, although Cooper was matching lines. But why was Yandle and Gudas with the fourth line out there so much? That's a big disadvantage.
3. Bennett look pretty good considering it was his first game. Nothing spectacular but that's not the deal with him either. Only 38% in the circle though, this is one concern for me since he's played so little center.
4. Bob was solid, although like Q said only one real A+ scoring chance for Tampa. Which ended up being the game saver in the third. The second goal imo was saveable.
5. Montour looks really solid. Generally all the new guys have bought in. Gusev too looked better in his second game.

What a time to be a Panther fan. Former ofc... :naughty:

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Two years ago, OT led his team, the Saginaw Spirit, who were 1 W from winning the Western Conference Finals. They were up on Guelph 3-1. But then the goalie did something stupid, and shot the puck in their stands after the whistle (which is an automatic 10-game suspension.) An injury or two later and the team lost in seven games.

Last crack he had at the playoffs, he excelled.
22pts in 17gp

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Montour should be playing on PP1 instead of Yandle. He can stake and handle the puck. Will make it more difficult to defend the drop pass.
Yandle is so incapable on PP1 that if the puck pops over his stick, he can’t even take a holding or tripping penalty on the other team forward because he’ll just skate around KY and it’s a breakaway.

Yandle is so slow he couldn’t beat a goalie skating backwards.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
Two years ago, OT led his team, the Saginaw Spirit, who were 1 W from winning the Western Conference Finals. They were up on Guelph 3-1. But then the goalie did something stupid, and shot the puck in their stands after the whistle (which is an automatic 10-game suspension.) An injury or two later and the team lost in seven games.

Last crack he had at the playoffs, he excelled.
22pts in 17gp

Good for him.

But what are you trying to say?

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
Tippett might be a playoff performer; I believe it.

A cup run usually involves guys stepping up. Frankly, I just want to get Tippett consistent linemates; let not Bennett him.

I don’t know.

His playoffs stats were just as good as his regular season stats that year.

I don’t see him becoming a different player once the playoffs start.

He shows some flashes here and there, but he’s not ready to produce offensively on a regular basis yet. He’s just not there. Will he ever be?

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
I don’t know.

His playoffs stats were just as good as his regular season stats that year.

I don’t see him becoming a different player once the playoffs start.

He shows some flashes here and there, but he’s not ready to produce offensively on a regular basis yet. He’s just not there. Will he ever be?
Again, the kid never really got competent linemates so far. Plus, he is far ahead on the goalposts he has struck this year. He is no sure thing, but he is not that far away - and a lot closer than some others on the team...

Reactions: BabyBarkov

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I can live with him not scoring. But what I can't stand is the lack of effort which is why he's been benched several times. Sometimes he's been a total ghost. He needs to go out there and run people over, that's the next step for him lol.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I can live with him not scoring. But what I can't stand is the lack of effort which is why he's been benched several times. Sometimes he's been a total ghost. He needs to go out there and run people over, that's the next step for him lol.

I agree, I'm behind Q on this one. Despite what people want to think, the Panthers have a fairly deep group of forwards, so he shouldn't be handed anything. Q is trying to instill the proper work ethic in him.

Reactions: FormerPantherFan

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Agreed, and although I’m not a big OT fan, I must admit that he’s slowly putting it together. Every game he plays, I see him finish a check where he didn’t do so before, I see him get rid of the puck and pass more quickly and accurately a couple of times more than before, just little stuff like that. When Tampa scored to cut the score to 4-2, OT had 77 covered so Walmart should never have skated over, so it wasn’t OT’s fault.

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Agreed, and although I’m not a big OT fan, I must admit that he’s slowly putting it together. Every game he plays, I see him finish a check where he didn’t do so before, I see him get rid of the puck and pass more quickly and accurately a couple of times more than before, just little stuff like that. When Tampa scored to cut the score to 4-2, OT had 77 covered so Walmart should never have skated over, so it wasn’t OT’s fault.
That is not how the Panthers are supposed to play defense. Tippett's assignment in that situation is to take away the pass back to the blueline. Wallmark was the first to step up, while being in the shooting lane. Tippett got far too eager and opened up the whole play for Tampa. He's young and it isn't the end of the world, but that's the stuff that is holding him back and gets him out of the lineup.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
That is not how the Panthers are supposed to play defense. Tippett's assignment in that situation is to take away the pass back to the blueline. Wallmark was the first to step up, while being in the shooting lane. Tippett got far too eager and opened up the whole play for Tampa. He's young and it isn't the end of the world, but that's the stuff that is holding him back and gets him out of the lineup.
There was a similar situation later where TB did not score. Huby had a talk with him just at the next stoppage - he will listen and learn.

But I still had the feeling that it was worse last game than before, and it is not just his missing experience but also the not existing chemistry with Wallmark. This never happened as obviously before.

It is true though that it was not a smart play by both of them

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

I think we still have a path to first. But the next 4 are crucial. Need to win the next two while Tampa needs to hold Carolina to only 1 point. Then we have the head to head where we need to do the same. Ideally get all 4.

Carolina's two games in hand are against Chicago. Hopefully Chicago is still in the playoff hunt and gives them hell.

Finishing first is so crucial. The delayed playoff start will help a lot with Ekblad. Moving on to the 2nd round puts us around that time.

Reactions: Vilam

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I think it’s different when the D is positioned like a forward on the boards. OT was closest to Hedman, there needs to be flexibility in the system to rotate their man coverage.

Reactions: austropanther

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

I think we still have a path to first. But the next 4 are crucial. Need to win the next two while Tampa needs to hold Carolina to only 1 point. Then we have the head to head where we need to do the same. Ideally get all 4.

Carolina's two games in hand are against Chicago. Hopefully Chicago is still in the playoff hunt and gives them hell.

Yeah, we need a split at worst in the Carolina series.

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
I think it’s different when the D is positioned like a forward on the boards. OT was closest to Hedman, there needs to be flexibility in the system to rotate their man coverage.
He certainly wasn't closest, and it's not like we are playing man coverage. They rotated just fine to get Tippett in the position that he was. He just abandoned it when he got carried away.

Last edited:

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

Yeah and I see him making some nice plays with the puck too. I really hope this is what Q is trying to do with him, like @Dread Clawz said, coach him up and get him to work hard.

It's actually one of the main criticisms with Bennett too, he was inconsistent with his effort in Calgary. Could be a similar situation.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
OT made the playoffs in all four of his years of Junior, granted it's not the NHL, but it's the only playoff sample I have.
49 points in 40 games

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
He certainly wasn't closest, and it's not like we are playing man coverage. They rotated just fine to get Tippett in the position that he was. He just abandoned it when he got carried away.
That’s not how I remember it.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Again, the kid never really got competent linemates so far. Plus, he is far ahead on the goalposts he has struck this year. He is no sure thing, but he is not that far away - and a lot closer than some others on the team...
Tippett has spent most of his time with Vatrano, that's a competent linemate.

radkison

May 14, 2011
Mississippi
something i'm wondering, if Yandle were to be a healthy scratch for the playoffs, does that end his streak? Or do postseason starts not count?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad