Post-Game Talk: (7PM-Sat) "I have had it with these mother****ing Yandles on this mother****ing team!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Great win! We seem to be able to roll at least 3 solid forward lines that are able to score and the new acquisitions seem to fit nicely.

Still, I don't see why March remains on the first. Barky was used to have 2 speedy wingers with Duke and Verhaege with very good/decent skill, and they were most successful this way. Why keep March there with his hands of stone? The strategy to put one banger with 2 skilled players to make room for them is so old. We could put John Scott there. That is why teams like TB and CAR are so good, because they ice 5 guys that can skate at have some skill.
Horny is on the PP and on the second line as the banger, but he has way more skill than March in shooting and deflecting shots - although when they give him the puck behind the net you also see his limitations. Two of those types on our first 2 lines is at least 1 too much.

OT had some awesome plays. That little shake / pretend to dump move to get in and ripping it off the post was amazing, best skilled play last night. Yet the 4th line looked horrible defensively - Wallmark has no defensive chemistry with Lamm and OT.

Bob had a really good game, as did Nuti and Montour. Weegar, Gudas and Forsling holding their ground, Yands rightfully benched during the last period.

Reactions: JEFFREY87

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Montour is the one that surprises me. The way he was talked about how he played for Buffalo, I was expecting much worse defense. He's had zero issues defensively. And is good moving the puck, and will shoot it too. I wonder what the lineup will be when Ekblad comes back.
Oh and of course, excellent win. Everyone committed to playing that defense that you have play against Tampa, and in the playoffs, and heck... in general specifically for this team.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
Why keep March there with his hands of stone? The strategy to put one banger with 2 skilled players to make room for them is so old. We could put John Scott there. That is why teams like TB and CAR are so good, because they ice 5 guys that can skate at have some skill.

Maybe 40 or so years ago I could've helped but not now, I'm too old! :laugh:

Thomas Colavecchio

Mar 24, 2019
Yandle was awful.

So many terrible sequences start because he won't retrieve a puck in the corner.

Cooper was definitely matchup hunting him.

One of the other goals happens because of continuous icings (Yandle, Wallmark, fourth line)
That shift where we got hemmed in the 3rd started because Yandle attempts a pass up the middle, it gets intercepted.

Yandle had positive xG impact one month ago, now it has regressed so that he has zero even strength xG impact.

He puts so much pressure on the other four players because of his softness. Forwards and Centers know he needs help winning battles, so they get out of position.

I can't tell if Wallmark was downright bad or if he was just trying to do too much to make up for Yandle's shittiness.

TBH, I still don't see Wallmark over Lousto...I realize it's only a couple of games and I'm sure Q wants to see what he can contribute, so giving him the benefit of the doubt to settle in with the group.

When Swaggy and Acciari are back healthy, I believe the best L4 combo should be Acciari, Lammer, and Marchment. That could be a very aggressive crash and bang line, for playoff style hockey...like the Isles have had for such a long time...a real pain in the arse to play against. Also this would provide quality PK depth at C, for D zone faceoffs.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Montour is the one that surprises me. The way he was talked about how he played for Buffalo, I was expecting much worse defense. He's had zero issues defensively. And is good moving the puck, and will shoot it too. I wonder what the lineup will be when Ekblad comes back.
Oh and of course, excellent win. Everyone committed to playing that defense that you have play against Tampa, and in the playoffs, and heck... in general specifically for this team.

I agree about Montour, seems to be a really good fit for us the way he plays.

I would expect him to be re-signed and replace Stralman moving forward as long as we can move him out (and/or Yandle).

Forsling definitely needs to be re-signed as well.

Weegar - Ekblad
Forsling - Montour
Nutivaara - Gudas
Kiersted

This would be ideal going into next season. Maybe bring in a capable vet. I’m not really confident about being able to get rid of Stralman AND Yandle though, so we may be stuck with one.

JEFFREY87

Oct 9, 2020
TBH, I still don't see Wallmark over Lousto...I realize it's only a couple of games and I'm sure Q wants to see what he can contribute, so giving him the benefit of the doubt to settle in with the group.

When Swaggy and Acciari are back healthy, I believe the best L4 combo should be Acciari, Lammer, and Marchment. That could be a very aggressive crash and bang line, for playoff style hockey...like the Isles have had for such a long time...a real pain in the arse to play against. Also this would provide quality PK depth at C, for D zone faceoffs.

Walmart was 57% in the circle vs tampa. I like Lousto's speed personally like you said when they all return the 4th line should look something like you described. I just find it hard to make one line all skill, vs all bangers.

The way things are going at the moment we have a balanced attack on almost every line for once (Tippett playing the 4th gave us some offense). I do agree Walmark will go until Q knows who he has, but at least it isn't Lomberg.

Reactions: Thomas Colavecchio

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Vasilevsky is such a monster. He's huge so he covers most of the net by default, but he's also quick and agile. And on top of that he's great with his stick, and doesn't freeze the puck unless someone is right in his face. His main weakness used to be that he got overworked towards the end of the season, but that won't be the case this year. Huge for us to score four on him and tag him for the first home loss.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee

The amount of emphasis that every single player puts on this locker room is actually incredible to hear.

I'd wager we have one of the best rooms in the league if not the best. Guys are coming in here and turning their careers around. If you've spent time in a locker room, a good atmosphere in there can make all the difference.

I think we definitely shouldn't underestimate just how impactful that is. Likely has a reason why Yandle still sees ice time these days.

Reactions: Cold Cat

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
The amount of emphasis that every single player puts on this locker room is actually incredible to hear.

I'd wager we have one of the best rooms in the league if not the best. Guys are coming in here and turning their careers around. If you've spent time in a locker room, a good atmosphere in there can make all the difference.

I think we definitely shouldn't underestimate just how impactful that is. Likely has a reason why Yandle still sees ice time these days.
I wish Yandle would try as hard on ice as he does in the locker room.

Reactions: Great8Cam

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I agree about Montour, seems to be a really good fit for us the way he plays.

I would expect him to be re-signed and replace Stralman moving forward as long as we can move him out (and/or Yandle).

Forsling definitely needs to be re-signed as well.

Weegar - Ekblad
Forsling - Montour
Nutivaara - Gudas
Kiersted

This would be ideal going into next season. Maybe bring in a capable vet. I’m not really confident about being able to get rid of Stralman AND Yandle though, so we may be stuck with one.
Although I'm not as down on Stralman as most. It's clear we're moving in a direction away from those two, (Stralman getting waived, Yandle's reduction of ice time) along with the other defensemen we have.
As far as the lineup after, I would want Weegar on his natural side on the second line, move people to pair with him and one to pair with Ekblad, other than that, yeah.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I wish Yandle would try as hard on ice as he does in the locker room.

Yandle tries his best but he just doesn't have the skating ability and stamina anymore to make it in this league anymore. I don't really pay any attention to the guy anymore regardless how many gaffes he does, he's like a law of physics: Yandle's gonna get his 5-15mins per game no matter how bad he is.

If you've spent time in a locker room, a good atmosphere in there can make all the difference.

I think it mostly stems from the fact that the majority of the guys who have been here for a long time and the recent acquisitions have a chip on their shoulders. Mostly it's about, like you said, turning their career around or trying to achieve the best possible position for their next contract negotiations but I think that this group likely thinks that they can win big right now so this time around it's about something more than having a few laughs with Yandle. I'd reckon that we haven't seen much of that same Jekyll&Hyde-mentality which has plagued this group under the leadership of Tallon because they've crossed that certain mental threshold in believing that this group can win regardless of a few setbacks.

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Zito literally built a new defense from the ground up this season and the only thing it cost us was a third round pick.

the defensive rebuild will be complete this summer with the departure of yandle and hopefully stralman.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Zito literally built a new defense from the ground up this season and the only thing it cost us was a third round pick.

the defensive rebuild will be complete this summer with the departure of yandle and hopefully stralman.

I'm quite impressed how good Montour looked in this game, Bennett too. If Montour keeps this up then Zito should sign him for the next season or two. Let Kiersted, Ludvig, Gildon and Koly fight for the remaining LD spot and that should be imo a top5-10 d-core in the league.

Thomas Colavecchio

Mar 24, 2019

This man is a treasure and must be protected.

Find a way, Mr. Z to keep Frankie!! I absolutely love how this guy plays...he's a real heart and soul guy who brings it every night every shift...and with the confidence he's gaining as Q uses him more and more in key situations; he's growing as a player and team leader too.

I don't think, even a year ago, he would have ever tried that back hand move on the breakaway on Vasi last night...so great to see him nail it...:hockey:

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Find a way, Mr. Z to keep Frankie!! I absolutely love how this guy plays...he's a real heart and soul guy who brings it every night every shift...and with the confidence he's gaining as Q uses him more and more in key situations; he's growing as a player and team leader too.

I don't think, even a year ago, he would have ever tried that back hand move on the breakaway on Vasi last night...so great to see him nail it...:hockey:
I didn't read the whole thread, but was anyone else upset when Point didn't get a penalty for knocking the net off? That was totally on purpose.

Frankie has the clutch gene, that much is obvious right now.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
I didn't read the whole thread, but was anyone else upset when Point didn't get a penalty for knocking the net off? That was totally on purpose.

Frankie has the clutch gene, that much is obvious right now.
Completely agree. He did not even try to stop, and there was no substantial contact with Vasy or our forward.
Mad me mad too.

Reactions: violaswallet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad