Post-Game Talk: #79| FLYERS 3 at Rangers 4 | Sun., April 2, 2017

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I know people will say, "But Provorov!"

But Provorov was as mature and safe and reliable (notice the Hakstokian buzz words) as it gets as a teenager/prospect. He basically needed little to no break-in to hit his stride and start conquering the league. It will not likely be that easy for the others -- it just won't, unfortunately. Guys will make mistakes, struggle, be inconsistent, need to adjust, may not really find their games until they are 2-3 seasons in the bigs and may play very much like their ages. What then?

We're heading towards a point where there won't really be many vets on this team, especially on the back end, and he won't have his blankets on skates to snuggle up to when they do struggle. But next year, if Sanheim+Morin are here, along with Provorov and Ghost, I fully expect MacDonald to be top pair Andy again. And for the foreseeable future, as long as he's here. Honestly, I can't even say for certain Manning won't be the #6.

These are all my fears too.

Hak did more harm than good this season. No reason to think it wont be more of the same next season.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Which player on our team has been ruined? We might not agree with some of their usage, but they all seem to be fine. Ghost is playing well again despite his not so good start. Provy is already a #1 and TK is still producing.

This "they will all be ruined by our coaching staff"-talk is a bit much IMO.

In the end he'll force his way up the ladder no matter what. A few games on the 4th line won't change that.

So we should exonerate the coaches because the players are talented enough to overcome moronic decisions? I am all for going against the grain of consensus thinking in general, but let's tell it like it is. Like I said to Saw the other day, if it's a pale off-white gray color and ****s on your head, it's a pigeon. This guy is out of his depth and/or element, Donnie.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I can't wait to see his reaction when Myers does his end-to-end, skate behind the opponent's goalie maneuver as a Flyer. Provy does the same thing, and gets away with it because he's "reliable". I think Myers will end up in the press box, especially if he gets caught.

All the crazy **** Ghost does, that got him a nice trip to press box land, Myers tries too. At least for now, before it's probably coached out to make him reliable and safe. It's really not hard to see him doing awesome things in the NHL.....and then looking like a complete fool on some plays. But that's life for dynamic, creative players. But he's 6'5" and can battle harder and hit people more. They really like Myers, so who knows. Wouldn't shock me to see the physicality factor endear him more. Sanheim too, though not as physical, is 6'4". Hakstol is the type of guy, and he's far from alone, who will allow them more leeway because of those 5-6 inches, even if they make the same mistakes.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
And Lavi's madness in that buffalo series probably led to whole mr universe debacle. No coach is perfect.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
And Lavi's madness in that buffalo series probably led to whole mr universe debacle. No coach is perfect.

You're right (and I'll be the first to admit that I don't like coaches in general), but that doesn't excuse Hakstok at all. He is doing stupid **** and he is doing it right in front of our faces and, arguably, he is doing it TO us, in a lot of ways - his nonsense is raising the blood pressure in almost all of us. We are inflicted with him and afflicted by him. I hope he proves us all wrong, though.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
Manning had a bad game. There, I said it. Happens to everyone. I still think he has a role on this team next year as the 6/7. Hard worker and sticks up for his teammates. He can fill in a few games here and there when someone gets hurt.

I'd love nothing more than a couple of the young D to make it and turn our blue line a rock solid unit. I'm just not sure if Hak and Hex are ready to open the floodgates and have four or five young guys back there.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
All the crazy **** Ghost does, that got him a nice trip to press box land, Myers tries too. At least for now, before it's probably coached out to make him reliable and safe. It's really not hard to see him doing awesome things in the NHL.....and then looking like a complete fool on some plays. But that's life for dynamic, creative players. But he's 6'5" and can battle harder and hit people more. They really like Myers, so who knows. Wouldn't shock me to see the physicality factor endear him more. Sanheim too, though not as physical, is 6'4". Hakstol is the type of guy, and he's far from alone, who will allow them more leeway because of those 5-6 inches, even if they make the same mistakes.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that for Sanheim, Morin, and Myers, it will be their play without the puck that will dictate how they are handled. I don't think Hakstol, for all his shortcomings, will mind an end-to-end rush as long as they are defensively responsible. And I qualify that as "in his eyes."

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Manning had a bad game. There, I said it. Happens to everyone. I still think he has a role on this team next year as the 6/7. Hard worker and sticks up for his teammates. He can fill in a few games here and there when someone gets hurt.

I'd love nothing more than a couple of the young D to make it and turn our blue line a rock solid unit. I'm just not sure if Hak and Hex are ready to open the floodgates and have four or five young guys back there.

:laugh: Scathing by Boxcar standards!

Yeah, he was all kinds of bad tonight. He's just not an NHL defenseman, sorry.

Otherwise I enjoyed AMac's turnover on shift #1 and the really useful timer on Giroux's shifts.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
i cant wait for the Flyers to waste yet another season going nowere with a non nhl coach...

next season will be just like these last 2.. "utterly wasted"..

This season is an utter waste because we didn't make the playoffs. Last season was an utter waste because we did make the playoffs.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I don't think making the playoffs is that big of a deal, we knew going in they weren't contenders with the Pens/Caps and now BJs. I'm not that broken hearted of not getting our ***** beaten in the first round.

They didn't play well, that was the concerning part, the odd Hakstol decisions are concerning. Hextall can fix some of those issues, but Hakstol is definitely shaken my confidence in him moving forward.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They played about as well this year as last year, except for both goalies, Giroux, Voracek and Ghost. Some players improved, Couts/Schenn, it's obvious Schenn didn't belong at C, but neither did anyone else until they got Filppula.

I think Konency is on an informal minutes limitation at this point, wouldn't mind if they sat him the rest of the year - the kid needs to get stronger if he's going to play an aggressive style - and I don't want a late season shoulder injury keeping him out of the weight room this summer.

It isn't Ghost's drives to the net that got him benched, it's the poor decision making that gets him stripped with no one behind him and the bad turnovers in his own zone. Hakstol knows he can't teach much to MacDonald or Manning at this point, but he can continue to reinforce the lesson to Ghost that you have to be careful with the puck. Ghost doesn't have the kind of speed to be sloppy at this level, in college he was the fastest guy on the ice, but not at this level.

They'll have 6-7 new players on the roster next year out of 23 (14 forwards, 7 D-men, 2 goalies), same in 2018-2019 and 2019-2020. The rebuild goes on steroids starting next season as the first wave of prospects hits the beach.

Last edited:

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I Hate Hak, I hate his stupid decision making, I hate half our roster, I hate being the suckiest sucks that ever sucked.

RIP Flyers Season, Hakstol you suck. Manning you suck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad