Post-Game Talk: #79| FLYERS 3 at Rangers 4 | Sun., April 2, 2017

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
TK was producing..then got demoted to the Twin Line and lost his groove again.
In the end he'll force his way up the ladder no matter what. A few games on the 4th line won't change that.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Which player on our team has been ruined? We might not agree with some of their usage, but they all seem to be fine. Ghost is playing well again despite his not so good start. Provy is already a #1 and TK is still producing.

This "they will all be ruined by our coaching staff"-talk is a bit much IMO.

If you meant me, it was to the Hart posted a few up. Sorry about that.

TK's usage as of late is pretty awful. His PP is gone now and even Weal put up over a minute more TOI than he did.

The overall handling of Ghost has been awful. With the scratches while he was playing well and then playing players that are clearly failing at every turn over Ghost (benching him, and like tonight with Manning) is ****ing awful. Hak needs to go. So do a ton of other players.

In the end he'll force his way up the ladder no matter what. A few games on the 4th line won't change that.

How can you force your way back up the ladder when you're the only one on your line that can do anything? Why should he be expected to do everything himself on such a **** line to get more minutes? You're asking someone to play an individual game instead of playing as a team (like as a line). **** that.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
If you meant me, it was to the Hart posted a few up. Sorry about that.

TK's usage as of late is pretty awful. His PP is gone now and even Weal put up over a minute more TOI than he did.

The overall handling of Ghost has been awful. With the scratches while he was playing well and then playing players that are clearly failing at every turn over Ghost (benching him, and like tonight with Manning) is ****ing awful. Hak needs to go. So do a ton of other players.
I want to wait and see what his useage looks like when we have a really talented defense. When Hakstol doesn't feel the need to rely on veterans because of lack of talent on the backend.
Next season will be more telling about his philosophy IMO.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Even Weal? Weal is our best offensive producer right now. I'd like to see him on PP2 instead of MDZ but it's a pretty minor issue with three games left.

TK has had a great rookie season and averaged 14 minutes a game. A year ago I would have happily taken that.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Which player on our team has been ruined? We might not agree with some of their usage, but they all seem to be fine. Ghost is playing well again despite his not so good start. Provy is already a #1 and TK is still producing.

This "they will all be ruined by our coaching staff"-talk is a bit much IMO.
It's not even about being ruined, playing a guy like Manning over Ghost tonight was a big reason why they went down 4-1. At the end of the second, Manning had nearly double the even strength time that Ghost did. That imbalance kept up until they went down 4-1.

The Del Zotto-Ghost pairing has been great recently, so of course they break it up and promote Manning to that pairing with Gudas being injured. Absolutely baffling decision.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
I've been at a Wrestlemania party, so I didn't watch the Flyers game. I did watch the replays of the goals, however. Manning clearly blew the coverage on the first one. On the second, you could see his stick being held. Simmons should have back checked better and picked up the player heading to the net. Manning was with Kreider on the third. He just got a lucky deflection.

Maybe not his best overall game, but hopefully he will still be in the top 7 next year. He's earned it the good old hard fashioned way.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
This game felt like a microcosm of the season - start off well, watch the wheels come off, flail around aimlessly until the last minute and then charge. Then when it looks like you might have an ounce of a chance, hesitate until it is gone.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Manning was the only player in the lineup to be -3 tonight.

This combined with his sweet goal against us for Boston and hes done a mighty fine job helping our Draft pick. If we pick a homerun, we will all look back and thank ManDog MeatShield. :laugh:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I've been at a Wrestlemania party, so I didn't watch the Flyers game. I did watch the replays of the goals, however. Manning clearly blew the coverage on the first one. On the second, you could see his stick being held. Simmons should have back checked better and picked up the player heading to the net. Manning was with Kreider on the third. He just got a lucky deflection.

Maybe not his best overall game, but hopefully he will still be in the top 7 next year. He's earned it the good old hard fashioned way.

**** all of this. He shouldnt even be allowed to attend games as a fan next season. Being a punching bag a handful of times was not nearly enough penance for the amount of sins he commited on the ice.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

200x200px-ZC-a4ff95af_stone-cold-laughing.gif

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
If an alien who was familiar with human anatomy and behavior, but not hockey, walked up to me and asked me to explain the play of AMac and ManTrash in that game, I would say:

"You know how sometimes a drunk will barf, and his friend will see it and that makes him throw up as well? It was like that - a pair of drunken idiots heaving puke."

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm still not a fan of Weise. I'd like to see someone else, maybe even Weal get a shot at playing with Couturier and Schenn.

Lindblom or Raffl would be best, I think. Keeps a heavy 2-way line, and Schenn still needs to be balanced out a bit defensively and possession wise.

Weise is having a hot stretch and doing OK but it's still obvious he's more a hanger-on who is just driving the net and getting some good puck luck (hey, that's fine, he wasn't doing that earlier). But he's not really creating anything either. It depends on what the Giroux line looks like, but either of those two would be better than Weise, in that order probably. Lindblom, if he's not on the Giroux line and Konceny is instead, would look amazing at that LW.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
#1 priority for our forwards going into next season is getting G and Jake going again at ES. Hopefully thats Lindblom.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Lindblom or Raffl would be best, I think. Keeps a heavy 2-way line, and Schenn still needs to be balanced out a bit defensively and possession wise.

Weise is having a hot stretch and doing OK but it's still obvious he's more a hanger-on who is just driving the net and getting some good puck luck (hey, that's fine, he wasn't doing that earlier). But he's not really creating anything either. It depends on what the Giroux line looks like, but either of those two would be better than Weise, in that order probably. Lindblom, if he's not on the Giroux line and Konceny is instead, would look amazing at that LW.
Yeah, either Raffl or Lindblom would be optimal on that line. I know it won't happen, but I'd just like to see Weal on that line for the rest of the year to see what he can really do. He's obviously been very productive with Filpulla, but a chance to play with a guy like Couturier might really show if he can be a top 6 guy. Most of Weal's goals have been rebounds or broken plays, it hasn't seemed like he gets a lot of help from his linemates. On the other hand, the play usually dies once it touches Weise's stick.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Meltzer is tearing Milbury to shreds on twitter.

Far from the first time and usually dead-on.

But he lost me at the Hitch rant. Hitch was one of the most notoriously stubborn, intractable coaches in the league who showed a terribly low tolerance level for young players. I just don't get why he's someone to make a comparison with and say, "See Hakstol isn't alone. Hitch did it!"

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah Hitch cost us Sharp. He was far from good in handling the kids.

And that's what I am most disappointed in. I thought Hak would come in and be great for wanting to use kids and develop them. Instead, he loves his seniors.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
And that's what I am most disappointed in. I thought Hak would come in and be great for wanting to use kids and develop them. Instead, he loves his seniors.

I know people will say, "But Provorov!"

But Provorov was as mature and safe and reliable (notice the Hakstokian buzz words) as it gets as a teenager/prospect. He basically needed little to no break-in to hit his stride and start conquering the league. It will not likely be that easy for the others -- it just won't, unfortunately. Guys will make mistakes, struggle, be inconsistent, need to adjust, may not really find their games until they are 2-3 seasons in the bigs and may play very much like their ages. What then?

We're heading towards a point where there won't really be many vets on this team, especially on the back end, and he won't have his blankets on skates to snuggle up to when they do struggle. But next year, if Sanheim+Morin are here, along with Provorov and Ghost, I fully expect MacDonald to be top pair Andy again. And for the foreseeable future, as long as he's here. Honestly, I can't even say for certain Manning won't be the #6.

Brayden Fattison

Mar 4, 2013
I know people will say, "But Provorov!"

But Provorov was as mature and safe and reliable (notice the Hakstokian buzz words) as it gets as a teenager/prospect. He basically needed little to no break-in to hit his stride and start conquering the league. It will not likely be that easy for the others -- it just won't, unfortunately. Guys will make mistakes, struggle, be inconsistent, need to adjust, may not really find their games until they are 2-3 seasons in the bigs and may play very much like their ages. What then?

We're heading towards a point where there won't really be many vets on this team, especially on the back end, and he won't have his blankets on skates to snuggle up to when they do struggle. But next year, if Sanheim+Morin are here, along with Provorov and Ghost, I fully expect MacDonald to be top pair Andy again. And for the foreseeable future, as long as he's here. Honestly, I can't even say for certain Manning won't be the #6.

I can't wait to see his reaction when Myers does his end-to-end, skate behind the opponent's goalie maneuver as a Flyer. Provy does the same thing, and gets away with it because he's "reliable". I think Myers will end up in the press box, especially if he gets caught.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad