Post-Game Talk: #78| NJD 0 at PHI 3 | Sat., April 1, 2017 | Neuvirth released from hospital (post #1)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
And we have several others who should play over McDonald too. Yet here we are, and here we will be after 82 games this year and 79 games last year

Its really ridiculous and frankly, unjust. The best 12 should play. Not the best 11 and Daves gimp.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
And we have several others who should play over McDonald too. Yet here we are, and here we will be after 82 games this year and 95% of all games the last 3 years.
You would think it would be kind of obvious that every player that plays on that line with them is better than them. Even Ryan freakin' White had as much skill as those two combined. Sad.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
They can just pick UFAs, they have to agree to sign there.
Of course, but there's probably not a better situation for him in the league. He's been waiting for a shot in the NHL and if Vegas wanted him, he'd have a clear opportunity in the top 6 from the start of the season.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
"Chest cold" is a potential issue but that is prior to any issued updates tomorrow.

I don’t want to speculate,” general manager Ron Hextall said as to the exact reason for the collapse. “He’s had a little bit of a chest cold. There’s a few things going around, there has been all winter and he has in fact had a chest cold.”
Neuvirth was scheduled to start the game, but wasn’t the only goalie who was sick. By late afternoon the Flyers had deemed Steve Mason too ill to dress. Apparently, he was even more sick than Neuvirth.

The team called Lehigh Valley Phantoms goalie Anthony Stolarz, who was on his way to Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania for a game, to hustle to Philadelphia. Stolarz was Wilkes-Barre as late as 5 p.m. and somehow made it to the bench 20 seconds after the opening faceoff.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/st...iladelphia-flyers-avoid-elimination/99927146/

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I do have to say that I wish every game was an away game if I have to continue to hear people wooing all the time. That stuff is annoying as hell

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Reading the Devs GDT is a surprising joy. A group of people who know very clearly they f**ked up selecting Zacha.

HereNow16

Oct 18, 2016
Germany
Glad that it seems like Neuvy will be okay.

But maybe someone here can help me answer my questions about the whole goalie situation.

It can't be unheard of that a starting goalie has to pull out of a game with short notice like Mase did last night. I was wondering what would have happened if Neuvy couldn't have taken the ice, either. Stolarz arrived shortly before puck-drop, I think, so could the Flyers have asked for the start of the game to be delayed to give him time to warm up? Semborski wasn't warmed up, either, so it's not like he could have started instead.
(This is not meant as a "they should have never started Neuvy if he was ill"-kind of question, but purely out of interest in what the options are if both goalies are out on short notice and the backup isn't quite ready yet.)

Also, why was Semborski there in the first place? I assume he doesn't come to every Flyers game bringing his gear, so was he called to come in because of Mase's illness and Stolarz still being en route to Philly, as an insurance backup?
Or is there always a third goalie around, even if he is not dressed? After all, it can't be impossible that both goaltenders injure themselves during warm-ups or during the game.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
how long is that drive from Wilkes-Barre to Philly? I am guessing Stolarz probably didnt go the speed limit haha

Around 2 hours I guess when you factor in traffic, maybe a bit more.

Neuvirth just looks like he's dehydrated which is I guess the best case scenario.

But maybe someone here can help me answer my questions about the whole goalie situation.

It can't be unheard of that a starting goalie has to pull out of a game with short notice like Mase did last night. I was wondering what would have happened if Neuvy couldn't have taken the ice, either. Stolarz arrived shortly before puck-drop, I think, so could the Flyers have asked for the start of the game to be delayed to give him time to warm up? Semborski wasn't warmed up, either, so it's not like he could have started instead.
(This is not meant as a "they should have never started Neuvy if he was ill"-kind of question, but purely out of interest in what the options are if both goalies are out on short notice and the backup isn't quite ready yet.)

Also, why was Semborski there in the first place? I assume he doesn't come to every Flyers game bringing his gear, so was he called to come in because of Mase's illness and Stolarz still being en route to Philly, as an insurance backup?
Or is there always a third goalie around, even if he is not dressed? After all, it can't be impossible that both goaltenders injure themselves during warm-ups or during the game.

They're starting to have people at least near the building since it seems to keep happening. I know at least one season the Wild had a contest where someone was brought to every home game and sat in the press box just in case.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Hextall said after the game that they did call Eric and ask him to attend just in case he was needed.

HereNow16

Oct 18, 2016
Germany
They're starting to have people at least near the building since it seems to keep happening. I know at least one season the Wild had a contest where someone was brought to every home game and sat in the press box just in case.

Hextall said after the game that they did call Eric and ask him to attend just in case he was needed.

Interesting. I guess it is a really weird situation to suddenly have both goalies down for some reason and not have any kind of backup around (especially since you'd not only need someone to play, but also equipment for them). I guess it happens rarely, but if it does, it'd be a mad scramble to get a backup.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I thought Konecny-G-V were really good although they didn't get a goal they had chances. Just keep them together and that's possibly the first line for next year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Weise - Couts - Schenn are effectively our first line these days. And playing like one.
Giroux is making me think of a baseball pitcher who loses his control (Bill Blass for you old people), will he ever hit the net again?
Voracek is meh these days.

Too bad MDZ waited until three-quarters of the season was gone to show up.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Weise - Couts - Schenn are effectively our first line these days. And playing like one.
Giroux is making me think of a baseball pitcher who loses his control (Bill Blass for you old people), will he ever hit the net again?
Voracek is meh these days.

Too bad MDZ waited until three-quarters of the season was gone to show up.

Voracek ill agree with but Giroux was very good yesterday.

Assist, 22/26 on faceoffs, hit crossbar on one-timer

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Voracek ill agree with but Giroux was very good yesterday.

Assist, 22/26 on faceoffs, hit crossbar on one-timer

Yeah, but Giroux missed again on a couple wrist shots, it's a bit weird, he seems to miss the net on a regular basis, while not an elite shooter, he's much better than he's shown this season.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
The passing is still there, but you expect more goals from him for sure.
His goal scoring over a full season hasn't been this bad since 2009.

For me Backstrom and Giroux have always been on the same level. But this year Backstrom has more assists than Giroux has points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad