GDT: #77 - MAPLE LEAFS at SABRES – WED APR 1 @ 7:30 PM ET – MSG-B – WGR

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
I wanna write him off but another part of me wants to see how he performs without Nolan at the helm...

That's me, actually. I'm just all over the map. Potential is potential, and he's got that in spades. I like talent, it's sweet to watch. But I don't respect it without tenaciousness, drive, give a hoot attitude. And there was always this "physical" or "heart on sleeve" part missing from Hodgson's game to make him a true fav of mine (ala Ignila, Linden, etc). I mean, I learned watching guys like the Sedins (Vancouver) that "heart on sleeve" isn't always visible thru the TV screen, but it's still a heck of a lot easier to appreciate a player who puts it out on the ice in a very visible fashion.

And then into Hodgson's life popped Nolan and whatever else I think of him (pos and neg), he just maybe has done Hodgson a career-saving favor... IF Hodgson combines the the grind with the talent. I'm hoping for it. And because of his character (re: off season training, attitude with the media, etc.), I'm almost expecting that he's gonna prove to be a keeper (even if the Sabres aren't the keepers ;) ).

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
That's me, actually. I'm just all over the map. Potential is potential, and he's got that in spades. I like talent, it's sweet to watch. But I don't respect it without tenaciousness, drive, give a hoot attitude. And there was always this "physical" or "heart on sleeve" part missing from Hodgson's game to make him a true fav of mine (ala Ignila, Linden, etc). I mean, I learned watching guys like the Sedins (Vancouver) that "heart on sleeve" isn't always visible thru the TV screen, but it's still a heck of a lot easier to appreciate a player who puts it out on the ice in a very visible fashion.

And then into Hodgson's life popped Nolan and whatever else I think of him (pos and neg), he just maybe has done Hodgson a career-saving favor... IF Hodgson combines the the grind with the talent. I'm hoping for it. And because of his character (re: off season training, attitude with the media, etc.), I'm almost expecting that he's gonna prove to be a keeper (even if the Sabres aren't the keepers ;) ).

I think hodgson gets an unfair shake at times. He is very tough on the puck and generally protects quite well but his reluctance to be the first in or the one to initiate contact gives him the title of soft. I think he's just one of those guys who has a role...slick hands and guards the puck well...he needs proper line mates to bring the best out of him. That's is a double edged sword though...if he can't commit to those things does he really belong?

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
STAHP.jpg

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
I think hodgson gets an unfair shake at times. He is very tough on the puck and generally protects quite well but his reluctance to be the first in or the one to initiate contact gives him the title of soft. I think he's just one of those guys who has a role...slick hands and guards the puck well...he needs proper line mates to bring the best out of him. That's is a double edged sword though...if he can't commit to those things does he really belong?

I respect your take.

Like you, I see how he's strong on the puck. He ain't soft. Like Henrik/Daniel Sedin that way. He's actually quite tough, durable, strong along the boards, etc. But also like those types of "cerebral" players, and I mean the types who watch the puck and the play, rather than play the body (aka: to prevent plays!), if he's not in a scoring role, does he belong? I don't think so. Not on this Sabres' future roster anyway.

This grind stretch has hopefully added to the kid's tool box - both off the ice, dealing with the adversity and hammering of it all (a "good solider" as per TM), and on the ice, putting more umph into his game (aka: playing more body than stick waving). But time, presumably under a different coach who gives a longer leash for errors as he sorts it all it, will tell.

RobertR

Jul 5, 2012
Man, Leafs are terrible.

Heard so many good words about Rielly, i'd imagine he would at least be a noticeable against the Sabres. Nope, turned a puck over a couple of times, thats it.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
As I expected...

Incidentally, so like, um, did you notice how Foligno not only caused an odd-man rush but with his reaction to a bad move made it even worse?

Are you willing to acknowledge that if we swapped nameplates and it was Hodgson who pulled that stunt he wouldn't have ended up with 21:50 TOI, but instead never seen another shift?

Fact: Nolan, whatever anyone thinks of the guy pro or con, simply does not apply the same standards, shift per shift, to every player. Period.

If the decision-maker (aka: Nolan, in this scenario) wants to own it and just say that he's got different standards for different players, then no prob. He's owning it, putting it out there straight up.

But so long as we're pretending that he is, as you've claimed, holding every player equally accountable every shift, then it's all hypocrisy. Raw and simple.

(ps: it'd be easier if you just fessed up that Nolan is as human as the rest of us, and has his own biases ;) )

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Incidentally, so like, um, did you notice how Foligno not only caused an odd-man rush but with his reaction to a bad move made it even worse?

Are you willing to acknowledge that if we swapped nameplates and it was Hodgson who pulled that stunt he wouldn't have ended up with 21:50 TOI, but instead never seen another shift?

Fact: Nolan, whatever anyone thinks of the guy pro or con, simply does not apply the same standards, shift per shift, to every player. Period.

If the decision-maker (aka: Nolan, in this scenario) wants to own it and just say that he's got different standards for different players, then no prob. He's owning it, putting it out there straight up.

But so long as we're pretending that he is, as you've claimed, holding every player equally accountable every shift, then it's all hypocrisy. Raw and simple.

(ps: it'd be easier if you just fessed up that Nolan is as human as the rest of us, and has his own biases ;) )

Not sure if you watched the game or not but if Foligno and Grigs had a better finisher on their line (we only have one ennis) then you'd be praising that line up and down. They generated the most chances and sadly both players have a lack of finish to their games. That fails to mention that Foligno played a tremendous PK game tonight.

I get what you;re going for but we lack the personnel to even have that convo

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

I acknowledge your unhealthy obsession with Hodgson, nothing more

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@reporterchris: After watching the #leafs lose to Buffalo in Game No. 78 of the season, Peter Horachek said: "It looked like training camp."

:laugh:

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
I acknowledge your unhealthy obsession with Hodgson, nothing more

Gotcha. You're still in that ego-driven "deflect-skew-twist-and-if
-everything-else-fails-then-outright-pretend-and-hope-others-are-distracted-with-my-latest-way-of-inferring-an-insult" mode ;)

Golly forbid that you get off your soap box long enough to acknowledge that every man is human enough to hold, and to act upon, his own bias.

(ps: Fact remains: if Hodgson had pulled Foligno's stunt tonight, he'd have been benched, not hit 21 mins of ice-time. Meaning that the fact remains: Nolan has different standards/leash sizes for different players. Meaning that the fact remains: your claim that Nolan holds every player to account equally every shift is merely misplaced hope that Nolan is above his own bias. Meaning the fact remains: Nolan is more human than you give credit.)

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Gotcha. You're still in that ego-driven "deflect-skew-twist-and-if
-everything-else-fails-then-outright-pretend-and-hope-others-are-distracted-with-my-latest-way-of-inferring-an-insult" mode ;)

Golly forbid that you get off your soap box long enough to acknowledge that every man is human enough to hold, and to act upon, his own bias.

(ps: Fact remains: if Hodgson had pulled Foligno's stunt tonight, he'd have been benched, not hit 21 mins of ice-time. Meaning that the fact remains: Nolan has different standards/leash sizes for different players. Meaning that the fact remains: your claim that Nolan holds every player to account equally every shift is merely misplaced hope that Nolan is above his own bias. Meaning the fact remains: Nolan is more human than you give credit.)

Im not sure why you benchmark Hodgson against Foligno? One PK's and one really doesnt not to mention hodgson was pinned to 4th liners(who showed up sadly)when talking about ice time...again if you watched this game at all you'd see that both hodgson and foligno had decent games all tank things considered. It seems you're just picking a guy to hang to dry and hodgson certainly wasnt it tonight so you look dumb...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad