OT: 76th Obsequious Banter Thread: Wonder Twins Disband

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
This is going to be a bit of a bummer post, but I feel like I owe it to you guys to follow-up on my previous posts about my pup Penny The Ripper. Unfortunately we had to put her down on Sunday after her presumed battle with some kind of cancer. After her ultrasound didn't show much other than some intestinal inflammation, she started on steroids and did well for the first week and half eating chicken and rice. Over Labor Day weekend she began turning up her nose at that and pretty much anything else we tried to feed her. We went through the catalog of lean meats and bland foods including the prescribed hydrolized protein diet but she would never eat more than a couple nibbles of anything. At that point we decided to taper her off the steroids in hopes of getting her in for a endoscopy/biopsy, but her condition steadily declined and she was never going to make it that far. She was on 6 or 7 different types of meds by then and still struggled mightily with pain, weight-loss and muscle atrophy. We woke up Sunday morning and realized it was time to say goodbye. I'm almost positive she knew what was happening when I took her to the vet. She accepted it without a struggle and went peacefully in my arms.

It's been tough around here since then, but we know she's happy now and free of pain. Farewell good girl, you can rip in peace now.

MOUDCRU.jpg

kWNhPWf.jpg

JRa1Gfn.jpg

C3xRlvs.jpg

What a good girl. I'm so sorry to hear about this.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
This is going to be a bit of a bummer post, but I feel like I owe it to you guys to follow-up on my previous posts about my pup Penny The Ripper. Unfortunately we had to put her down on Sunday after her presumed battle with some kind of cancer. After her ultrasound didn't show much other than some intestinal inflammation, she started on steroids and did well for the first week and half eating chicken and rice. Over Labor Day weekend she began turning up her nose at that and pretty much anything else we tried to feed her. We went through the catalog of lean meats and bland foods including the prescribed hydrolized protein diet but she would never eat more than a couple nibbles of anything. At that point we decided to taper her off the steroids in hopes of getting her in for a endoscopy/biopsy, but her condition steadily declined and she was never going to make it that far. She was on 6 or 7 different types of meds by then and still struggled mightily with pain, weight-loss and muscle atrophy. We woke up Sunday morning and realized it was time to say goodbye. I'm almost positive she knew what was happening when I took her to the vet. She accepted it without a struggle and went peacefully in my arms.

It's been tough around here since then, but we know she's happy now and free of pain. Farewell good girl, you can rip in peace now.

MOUDCRU.jpg

kWNhPWf.jpg

JRa1Gfn.jpg

C3xRlvs.jpg
Condolences.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

MOUDCRU.jpg

kWNhPWf.jpg

JRa1Gfn.jpg

C3xRlvs.jpg

Ah, f***. I'm really sorry for your loss, bud. The thing I have tried to do is remind myself that I gave my pets the best life I possibly could for as long as I possibly could. In my case, it was stray cats who would have lived a fraction as long and at a fraction the quality of life without me. It's a weak-ass comfort, but it's an attempt to sort of put parameters on your grief so that it doesn't swell out of control. What you did, with the attention to food and medicine and what I know was probably some enormous financial cost, was way above and beyond. I know that doesn't help, and I know you were happy to do it, but it's something to hold your head way up about.

Race the clouds in peace and happiness, good girl. :heart:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

MOUDCRU.jpg

kWNhPWf.jpg

JRa1Gfn.jpg

C3xRlvs.jpg

I know we were just talking about Penny 3 weeks ago, and I was really hoping for the best. She looks like the sweetest girl, and I’m so sorry you had to say goodbye, YS. But what a good life I’m sure she had — and your life better for her. Penny :heart:.

ajgoal

Jun 29, 2015
Ah, f***. I'm really sorry for your loss, bud. The thing I have tried to do is remind myself that I gave my pets the best life I possibly could for as long as I possibly could. In my case, it was stray cats who would have lived a fraction as long and at a fraction the quality of life without me. It's a weak-ass comfort, but it's an attempt to sort of put parameters on your grief so that it doesn't swell out of control. What you did, with the attention to food and medicine and what I know was probably some enormous financial cost, was way above and beyond. I know that doesn't help, and I know you were happy to do it, but it's something to hold your head way up about.

For truth

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace

Thanks for the kind words Cap, it means a lot. I just need to convince my wife of all that. She's an absolute wreck so far.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004

MOUDCRU.jpg

kWNhPWf.jpg

JRa1Gfn.jpg

C3xRlvs.jpg

Aw man, so sorry to hear this,,,,,, My old girl is getting up in age and I dread the time :(

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Aw man, so sorry to hear this,,,,,, My old girl is getting up in age and I dread the time :(
Thanks Benny. I thought I did a pretty good job of preparing myself the past month or so, and it still hit me like a mack truck. I had two family dogs that had to be put down over the years but Penny was the first that was truly my dog. It's a heartbreaking experience.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Thanks Benny. I thought I did a pretty good job of preparing myself the past month or so, and it still hit me like a mack truck. I had two family dogs that had to be put down over the years but Penny was the first that was truly my dog. It's a heartbreaking experience.

I have not directly had to yet in my lifetime, I dread the lead up if the decision is ever made as this is also truly my dog for 13 years. I get emotional just thinking about what you are going through, thoughts are with you and all effected.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
I have not directly had to yet in my lifetime, I dread the lead up if the decision is ever made as this is also truly my dog for 13 years. I get emotional just thinking about what you are going through, thoughts are with you and all effected.
It's an incredibly hard decision, but if the time comes you'll know.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

MOUDCRU.jpg

kWNhPWf.jpg

JRa1Gfn.jpg

C3xRlvs.jpg

Very sorry to hear this, Young.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

MOUDCRU.jpg

kWNhPWf.jpg

JRa1Gfn.jpg

C3xRlvs.jpg

sorry for your loss my friend.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Finally test drove a new car for the first time in... forever. Been meaning to try out a new car or look for a new one for the past 2 years, but finally test drove a new Civic Sport Touring hatchback. I quite enjoyed the ride and a lot of the things it comes with.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013

MOUDCRU.jpg

kWNhPWf.jpg

JRa1Gfn.jpg

C3xRlvs.jpg
That sucks dude.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Directed energy weapons have been a thing for a long time. They're ready to be deployed by the USN and the Army/Marines are looking to install then at facilities with sufficient power capabilities.

I think the hard part for the Navy is squeezing them into existing ship capabilities. They aren't that power-hungry on their own, but over the last couple decades ships have been loaded down with a ton of other power-intensive systems. Hence why the biggest new feature being put through the paces on the Zumwalts is that 35MW plant (I think they each carry two). That's the way of the future and the Navy needs to build new destroyer and cruiser classes ASAFP...they're a solid twenty years behind where they should be on that front.

Weak power generation is a massive hurdle for China to overcome on their end, before they can even ponder upgrading sensor and weapon tech.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Very sorry to hear this, Young.

sorry for your loss my friend.

That sucks dude.

@Young Sandwich My apologies for the tardiness, but I'm very sorry for your loss, my friend.

@Young Sandwich Penny was greatest and best and I am sorry.

@Young Sandwich I'm sorry to hear about your Penny. You both enriched each other's lives. What a terrible bit of news :(

Thanks for the kind words fellas, they are greatly appreciated.

The toughest part for me so far are the little things. The biggest one being so trivial and unexpected: loading the dishwasher. Anytime I opened the dishwasher she'd be there immediately trying to steal a lick of whatever she could reach even though she knew I'd give her shit for it. Another is just using the stairs, when she would inevitably squeeze herself between my legs and the railing or wall so she could beat me up or down. She was truly attached to my hip. They definitely earn that velcro Vizsla nickname.

Last edited:

ajgoal

Jun 29, 2015
Thanks for the kind words fellas, they are greatly appreciated.

The toughest part for me so far are the little things. The biggest one being so trivial and unexpected: loading the dishwasher. Anytime I opened the dishwasher she'd be there immediately trying to steal a lick of whatever she could reach even though she knew I'd give her shit for it. Another is just using the stairs, when she would inevitably squeeze herself between my legs and the railing or wall so she could beat me up or down. She was truly attached to my hip. They definitely earn that velcro Vizsla nickname.

Yeah. And you never know what little thing will get you.

But you know what? That's how you know she had it better than she would have without you, and you gave her everything you possibly could, and she had the best life she ever could have. Because who else would cry over those things?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad