Post-Game Talk: #73: Canadiens at FLYERS, Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 7:00 p.m. ET

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
This doesn't make any sense. If the team is lacking in speed, then having to chase the puck down only to likely fail and then have to face opposing pressure is the worst possible approach. It takes a shortcoming, makes it very prominent rather than diminishing it, and piles on top of it by ensuring the team is pressured harder as a result.

And if the team is lacking in speed, then why are they trying these long stretch passes? If the team is slow, then they can't get separation and they're a low percentage play.
They are low on speed & skill. It’s a worse idea to try to make skill plays through the neutral zone when you don’t have the ability, as it leads to turnovers & high quality chances the other way. If you dump it, with the right degree of anticipation & strength you might gain possession a few times while limiting mistakes.

The long stretch passes are an attempt to compensate for their lack of speed & puck carrying in the neutral zone. I have no idea why you think speed is required for stretch passes.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
They are low on speed & skill. It’s a worse idea to try to make skill plays through the neutral zone when you don’t have the ability, as it leads to turnovers & high quality chances the other way. If you dump it, with the right degree of anticipation & strength you might gain possession a few times while limiting mistakes.

The long stretch passes are an attempt to compensate for their lack of speed & puck carrying in the neutral zone. I have no idea why you think speed is required for stretch passes.

If you aren't fast enough to separate from defenders, then stretch passes fail. That's why New York could live on stretch passes for fast transition attacks for years, they had forwards who could just outrun everyone. That strategy doesn't work if Kreider is fat.

So, after all your defenses of Hakstol and his system....you're now claiming that he was doing the worst possible thing for his roster by emphasizing controlled entry and transition rather than flinging the puck around and hoping for the best?

Reactions: Ruck Over

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad