Post-Game Talk: #73: Canadiens at FLYERS, Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 7:00 p.m. ET

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Come on Jiiiiiim... The Schenn Lethera trade wasn’t about acquiring Lethera it was about getting two 1sts that could potentially be better then Schenn down the road when this team is ready to contend.
Hextall was maybe a little too patient but he did a decent job giving this team a future to contend.
Hextall **** the bed with the coaching staff he hired and kept around too long.

Hexys MO is amateur evaluations not so much with the pros that are already in the league.

Hextall wasn't too patient, he just didn't do a good job of selling a rebuild to first his bosses, then the fans.
Expectations were too high, only way Flyers make the playoffs if Hextall signs/trades for a solid veteran goalie and eats Neuvirth's contract.
He gambled on Lyon holding the fort until Elliott was healthy, Hart was to be sheltered in LHV until he was ready.

So far Fletcher is on the same page, but I'll bet he communicates better.
Basically he's dumped Weal, Weise, Folin to make roster room, and garnered a 6th rd pick.
Lehtera is buried in the AHL until his contract runs out, AMac probably gets traded with 50% retained.
He traded Simmonds for Hartman (24) and a 2020 3rd (we hope).
An extra goalie (Stolarz) for Talbot.

Rubtsov and Kase getting hurt is a shame, otherwise they might be up by now.
NAK, Bailey, Vorobyev, Bunnaman are bodies, they'll soon be behind Frost, Farabee, then Ratcliffe, Laczysnki, Allison, Cates and O'Brien.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Excuses (flu) are for losers. As constructed and led right now this just isn't a good team. They're not fast enough to keep up with the speed teams or strong enough to beat the ones that grind out a game. When they scheme to be more defensively responsible, they lose the ability to create sustainable offense. Some of that is because of the ability on the present roster but some of it is also due to the lack of smarts behind the bench (ex-not getting someone quickly on the ice when Hart was pulled last night)

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hart with another good one (.943). That's promising.

Of our -21 scoring deficit, -19 has come in the first period. Our permanent coach will have some low hanging fruit getting the guys ready to play in the first.

iu

It took me forever to find this post, but under Hakstol the Flyers 1st period goal difference was -46.

Confirmed with Link: - Dave Hakstol has been fired; Scott Gordon named interim head coach

Since the start of 15-16 it is -50, which means it is -4 under Gordon. 33 GF, 37 GA.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/team?aggre...&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=goalsForInPer1

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This season started with Hakstol and Hextall, and it now will end with Gordo and his mismatched collection of mediocre assistant coaches, and Minnesota's former GM in charge.
This team played better in the second half of the season, but the first half of the season killed any possibilities of this squad making a playoff run.
I'm very glad that the Hacksol experiment finally ended, and I am really happy that Hextall was fired. Hextall drafted some potentially decent players, but his worst trade ever was the one that sent Braydon Schenn to the Blues for, Jori Lehtera and two draft picks who may eventually make it to the NHL, but who knows when it'll happen. I know everyone here loves Frost, but wasn't he recently given a long suspension from his league for cross-checking a player in the head (that's not a great thing to include in your pre-NHL resume, the refs will be watching him like a hawk).
Hextall should have been fired after the Schenn trade, too bad it took so long!

Oh my god.

Frost and Farabee are our 2 best forward prospects and both are NHL ready and could step in and make a huge impact as early as next season.

Hextall then used Schenns cap space to sign JVR, who is having a better season than Schenn this year.

Meanwhile, next season is Schenns last on his current contract.

Of all the things to bitch about, turning the last 2 years of Schenns contract into 5 years of JVR, Morgan Frost, and Joel Farabee, should not be one of them.

Oh and Frosts suspension was only for 3 games.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Gordon being better than Hakstol is a low bar to clear. He doesn't hold the team back as much. But his brand of and chase hockey simply does not win in the playoffs.
Their thinness on speed & skill doesn’t win in the playoffs.

No coach can make a slow, mediocre team suddenly skillful by telling them to play a style they aren’t capable of.

Put me on the ice against pros, & a coach can talk all he wants about possession & controlled entries but it doesn’t mean I’m not going to get dominated & probably cause more problems for myself trying to execute skill plays against superior competition.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Oh my god.

Frost and Farabee are our 2 best forward prospects and both are NHL ready and could step in and make a huge impact as early as next season.

Hextall then used Schenns cap space to sign JVR, who is having a better season than Schenn this year.

Meanwhile, next season is Schenns last on his current contract.

Of all the things to ***** about, turning the last 2 years of Schenns contract into 5 years of JVR, Morgan Frost, and Joel Farabee, should not be one of them.

Oh and Frosts suspension was only for 3 games.

Yeah, if we're going to shit on Hextall for his coaching staff decisions, I'm 100% on board, but the bold there might be the very best thing he did as GM. If not, then it's close.

Losing Schenn to add JVR, Frost, and Farabee is a massive haul. I mean, each of Frost and Farabee could individually end up being even better than Schenn.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
This season started with Hakstol and Hextall, and it now will end with Gordo and his mismatched collection of mediocre assistant coaches, and Minnesota's former GM in charge.
This team played better in the second half of the season, but the first half of the season killed any possibilities of this squad making a playoff run.
I'm very glad that the Hacksol experiment finally ended, and I am really happy that Hextall was fired. Hextall drafted some potentially decent players, but his worst trade ever was the one that sent Braydon Schenn to the Blues for, Jori Lehtera and two draft picks who may eventually make it to the NHL, but who knows when it'll happen. I know everyone here loves Frost, but wasn't he recently given a long suspension from his league for cross-checking a player in the head (that's not a great thing to include in your pre-NHL resume, the refs will be watching him like a hawk).
Hextall should have been fired after the Schenn trade, too bad it took so long!

IMG_0355.GIF
IMG_0614.GIF

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Flu shots are a joke and they make more people sick, every time ive ever had a flu shot ive gotten severely sick with the flu, so i stopped getting the shot and have been just fine

Really?

Seems like I’ve had success with it.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Their thinness on speed & skill doesn’t win in the playoffs.

No coach can make a slow, mediocre team suddenly skillful by telling them to play a style they aren’t capable of.

Put me on the ice against pros, & a coach can talk all he wants about possession & controlled entries but it doesn’t mean I’m not going to get dominated & probably cause more problems for myself trying to execute skill plays against superior competition.

You say the team is slow...yet you support a coach pushing a system that requires speed to succeed?

This is a contradiction.

They were also perfectly capable of executing controlled entries under Hakstol. Their failure was after doing so they'd go live on the perimeter.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
You say the team is slow...yet you support a coach pushing a system that requires speed to succeed?

This is a contradiction.

They were also perfectly capable of executing controlled entries under Hakstol. Their failure was after doing so they'd go live on the perimeter.

Which they reverted to last night :mad:

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Really?

Seems like I’ve had success with it.
Working in a health care facility, it seems that it is common when some people get the vaccine they end up sick within a couple days. I've had it happen with a couple years flu shots. Never have I been told it's an allergic reaction.

Reactions: phlflyer1

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Working in a health care facility, it seems that it is common when some people get the vaccine they end up sick within a couple days. I've had it happen with a couple years flu shots. Never have I been told it's an allergic reaction.

I’m not qualified to comment on this but I will anyway.

The vaccine shouldn’t make people ill. I wonder if healthcare workers are more susceptible given lack of sleep and proximity to a population of all manner of hosts.

So maybe the vaccine further comprises immune systems that are already heavily taxed?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

This is a contradiction.

Gordon isn’t “pushing a system that requires speed to succeed.”

To the contrary, he has installed a conservative 1-3-1 neutral zone trap in recognition of their lack of speed.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I’m not qualified to comment on this but I will anyway.

The vaccine shouldn’t make people ill. I wonder if healthcare workers are more susceptible given lack of sleep and proximity to a population of all manner of hosts.

So maybe the vaccine further comprises immune systems that are already heavily taxed?

I'm not at all qualified to comment either, but I do have a father with a PhD in Microbiology and 40 years in a related industry whose favorite subject is the things people believe about vaccines with zero scientific evidence. He reminds me to get one every year.

This is really dangerous stuff. Not remotely a joke or a subject for anecdotal evidence.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I'm not at all qualified to comment either, but I do have a father with a PhD in Microbiology and 40 years in a related industry whose favorite subject is the things people believe about vaccines with zero scientific evidence. He reminds me to get one every year.

This is really dangerous stuff. Not remotely a joke or a subject for anecdotal evidence.

Oh I get the shot every year but I have had a few years where within the next week I was down for 4 days with Tamiflu being taken to clear whatever hit me.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Problem with flu vaccine is the virus mutates faster than they can develop the shot, so its effectiveness seems to vary between 40-70%, year to year.

I've rarely gotten the flu or had it last very long, but as a sickly child I developed a Neitzsche immune system (what doesn't kill you makes you stronger) - but next year with Medicare, line up those shots (flu, shingles, pneumonia, etc).

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa

Isn't it rather unlikely to get the flu from the flu shot as it's not a living virus?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Gordon isn’t “pushing a system that requires speed to succeed.”

To the contrary, he has installed a conservative 1-3-1 neutral zone trap in recognition of their lack of speed.

In order to win in the playoffs with dump and chase, you have to successfully chase the puck down (and good luck with that even with a fast team). If they are a slow team, then continuously yielding possession by dumping the puck and then having to chase the other team around is the worst possible system to implement as it would only emphasize their weakness. And you support it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad